Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ITTF Serving Video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DTopSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ITTF Serving Video
    Posted: 04/29/2016 at 12:39am
Saw this video on the ITTF website - looking at some of the services demonstrated on an ITTF official video I think it explains some of the problems we are having with getting fault serves called! LOL

Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 12:56am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
rajd1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajd1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 1:27am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Elena Semenova: Your service isn't good enough.

Good one Zeio LOL
...Rajd...

My feedback url: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72846&PN=1#893078
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 3:42pm
They're bordering on hidden, and I doubt you could say he's immediately pulling the free arm back, but who cares, right?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 4:50pm
Those serves, while ingenious, didn't look quite kosher to me, Greg, despite bearing the ITTF imprimatur.  I did find the various contact points for strong and weak topspin, underspin, sidespin, and reverse sidespin serves interesting, however, though I still find the liha way of just putting the blooming ball into play with a simple forehand topspin more personally to my liking.

I can hardly wait for the next ITTF approved video showing a world class player demonstrating how to boost his/her rubber(s) to the max using Falco, Sunmoon, Kailin, turpentine or olive oil.  
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 5:16pm
If ITTF says that is a legal serve -- and we can only assume that this what they intend because it is one of their official videos -- then let's just use that is the model and just leave it at that.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

If ITTF says that is a legal serve -- and we can only assume that this what they intend because it is one of their official videos -- then let's just use that is the model and just leave it at that.

Back in the dreamtime of the 21st century, the ITTF said that the change to the 40 mm. ball and the banning of speed glues would encourage defensive play and result in longer rallies.  Well sorta, temporarily.  Joo Se Hyuk made the finals of the Men's World Singles in 2003, and rallies averaged maybe 3/4 or a shot to a shot longer.

Then the ITTF reduced the number of points in a game from 21 points to 11 points, claiming that this would make each point more important and make TT more attractive to advertisers.  In America in the early 2000s. that did actually happen in the Midwest, when Robert Blackwell imported world class TT talent plus the best American players and got them air time in the late afternoon (American Eastern Standard Time).  The only advertiser that I can remember, however, was Killerspin, hardly a household name to American sports fans.  These halcyon days are now but a distant memory.

Then....boosters and tensor rubbers (more expensive) plus more expensive blades became the rage and still are today, though competitive TT is still no more (well an eentsy teentsy bit) popular in the U.S. than it was in the now distant 20th century.  And now we have the 40+ mm. ball, which nobody seems to care for.

I would not put too much stock into what the ITTF says, as its record for improving the sport and insisting that its world class players (forget us plebes of pong) obey the service rules it itself has set down is hardly sterling. 
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 9:31pm
Big Foot is a whiner too. He didn't even say his serve is legal, he was like - come ooon, it's already 3:1, let it go..
PointEngineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PointEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I am sure they could not argue all of those demonstration serves are legal.  I imagine once enough have pointed that out to them they will withdraw it.

Putting the exact rules (which are clearly contravened and the ITTF should ashamed) to the side for a moment it is clear the arm removal attempt shown might not have a large effect for a receiver diagonally opposite but certainly would be detrimental for one standing down the line.  

For a sport that is often described as chess at 100 miles an hour (or something similar) you would expect more intelligence from the ruling body (the rules are stupidly written to start with).  It is a self fulfilling prophecy when players/coaches claim legality of a serve because they have never got pulled up for it with far higher qualified umpires etc, so that in the end to try to level the playing field players who would otherwise serve legally then choose to follow this route of deception...and so the cycle continues.

If I had more conviction, in a match I would just keep calling lack of visibility etc...though then the whole psychological side of that would play on me and probably upset my concentration for the rest of the match. 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Big Foot is a whiner too. He didn't even say his serve is legal, he was like - come ooon, it's already 3:1, let it go..
Remorse is not included in his dictionary.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 1:57pm
If i'm the umpire, i would be the first to fault Freitas for tossing the ball backwards into the body. 
This video is full of win, while explaining the basics of services, it demonstrates illegal services. LOL
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Not really a valid argument, is it?

In that match the umpire was telling Freitas quite ckearly that the problem is that given the height he was tossing the serve, and given how far into his body it was moving, it was not straight enough (and therefore not within the angle that ITTF shows in the diagram on their Guide for Match Officials).  She was perfectly correct. 

He was too pissed to listen to her.  He walked away and consequently didn't understand the point she was making.  She wanted him to listen.  He is really lucky she didn't take away points after the first warning. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic