Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P700 or PG7?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
auzcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auzcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P700 or PG7?
    Posted: 04/30/2016 at 9:05am
I'm going to try one of these blades and I've read a number of reviews but I can't make up my mind about which one to try. I'm coming from mostly playing with 5-ply blades but since I started using SP on BH I want to give a 7-ply a chance. I suspect that I would like the more flexy and soft of the two but I'm not sure which one that is since i haven't found a direct comparison between them.

What are the differences? Which one do you recommend?

Edited by auzcar - 05/11/2016 at 10:10am
Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 11:12am
I found P700 faster and a little stiffer compared to PG7. Didn't like PG7 at all..
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 11:57am
Agree with AMonteiro, PG7 was the worst 7-ply blade I´ve tried. It´s a low cost blade, which in my opinion results in a low quality product.
But if you want a more flex 7-ply I would recommend Nittaku Septear. It´s made of hinoki (all 7 plies) and much softer than P700.
Donic Persson Powerplay is also softer, thinner and more flexible than P700. I use it in a cpen version, with SP rubber.
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 12:10pm
Yep. That's right. Septear is gooooood. Resonably priced, great built quality, lot of flex, quite soft and fast too

Edited by ronakvyas86 - 04/30/2016 at 12:11pm
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 3:26pm
I prefer the Force pro ( regular) for pure looping, a lot more spinny and powerful loops compared to the septear. The septear offers a tiny bit more control over blocks and counters. Tried two pg7, both were crap.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
auzcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auzcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 3:35pm
Thanks for the answers! P700 seems to get more love so I guess that's what I'm try7ng first. Atm I'm using the Offensive Classic and I LOVE the feel, I wonder if a step up to the CR, NCT or Carbon would be enough in this case. I've tried the Clipper and while I like it in some situations it's just too thick and clubby for my taste.
auzcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auzcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 3:51pm
It would be awesome if someone could give a direct comparison between the Offensive Classic and the P700!
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 4:04pm
Avalox P900, overall, is better than most 7-ply wood.
It is a 9-ply wood but its control and loop
like a 5-ply wood as it is less than 6 mm thick,
and smash and block are very powerful. It may be
slightly less than Clipper but very very close for block and
smash. However, its push and loop are significantly
better than clipper.

Clipper and Force pro are bit too thick to have
good loop.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 4:04pm
OC had that hollow feel and P700 feels more solid and stiffer. P700 is 6.2mm, not too thick for a 7 ply, so the transition from OC would be ok.

P700 is faster, has more power away from the table. It's not too hard and stiff compared to thicker 7 ply and also you can find it around 85-87 grams these days. Older ones were heavier. 

OC nowdays is more like an allround lopper blade, very flexy with vibrations. P700 is a power lopping blade, stiffer compared to OC but still flexy when compared to Clipper, Maxwood, etc..
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

OC had that hollow feel and P700 feels more solid and stiffer. P700 is 6.2mm, not too thick for a 7 ply, so the transition from OC would be ok.

P700 is faster, has more power away from the table. It's not too hard and stiff compared to thicker 7 ply and also you can find it around 85-87 grams these days. Older ones were heavier. 

OC nowdays is more like an allround lopper blade, very flexy with vibrations. P700 is a power lopping blade, stiffer compared to OC but still flexy when compared to Clipper, Maxwood, etc..

Some p700 are not built the same way used to be ve in the past where to get a good p700? Is there any clipper clone under 100$ with the same structure or similar?
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 6:32pm
Nittaku Ludeack, OSP Ultimate are meant to be Clipper clones, and Yasaka Extra Special for clipper-like structure with Walnut top plies.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 6:55pm
I'm not much of an EJ anymore, but I think the PG-7 is getting a bad, and undeserved rap in this thread. 

A lot of players in our club use PG-7's.  I've sold close to a dozen of them and not one was a dud - most were very good.  For the price they are a crazy good blade.  Heck I think they are very good regardless of the price.  Maybe I got (several) good batches, but nobody has been disappointed yet.   I've sold them with  MX-P, various flavors of Tenergy, FastArc G-1, Vega Europe, and several rubbers from Cole.  The blade seems to work well with all of them.

While the PG-7 may be pretty weak in the "wow you got such a cool blade" department, they are quite good.  I find them to be well balanced (not head heavy(I don't like that)), with good feel (assuming you LIKE feel - some don't want to feel ANY vibration).  They seem to have enough flex for spinning, enough stiffness for power, and enough control for anyone with tolerable strokes and timing. They won't win points, games, or matches for you, but they won't hold you back either.

With all that being said, the P700 is a fine, classic blade.  While I found the Person Powerplay to be pretty dead feeling, I know some good players that love it.  I've never tried a Septear.  I've hit with Clippers that were very good - and a few that weren't.  

bes
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 7:21pm
You should consider bt777 which is a later model than the p700. 

I have used the bt777 for a long time and can vouch for it, its supposed to be have been made in the way the old clipper was in the same factory as well.

Edited by rocketman222 - 04/30/2016 at 7:22pm
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by auzcar auzcar wrote:

It would be awesome if someone could give a direct comparison between the Offensive Classic and the P700!

OC and other stiga classic blades are poor in terms of quality. If you need a blade that is similar to P700 in terms of playing and have an excellent built quality, you should check out Nittaku Ludeack.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 1:01am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

OC and other stiga classic blades are poor in terms of quality. If you need a blade that is similar to P700 in terms of playing and have an excellent built quality, you should check out Nittaku Ludeack.

I had a nittaku cpen blade and the handle is narrow unlike stiga? Who can compare ludeack yasaka special to clipper. I heard that yasaka special as 5ply like high throw
auzcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auzcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 3:47am
There's some good alternatives in here as well, Ludeack and OSP Ultimate looks very nice too.

I'm a person that love vibration and feedback in my blade but I feel I need a bit more stifness than 5-ply now that I play with SP on BH. Basically what I want is a thin (preferably not thicker than 6.1-6.2mm) 7-ply that has good feedback and a good amount of vibration for a 7-ply. So in other words a 7-ply that plays more towards a 5-ply. Speed should be in Off- to Off range, not blazingly fast.

I've always been intrigued by the OSP blades as well as the Nittaku blades, they both seem to be of very high quality. Putting aside the P700 vs PG7 debate, what blade would you recommend based on these criterias?

Edited by auzcar - 05/11/2016 at 10:13am
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 4:38am

I've always been intrigued by the OSP blades as well as the Nittaku blades, they both seem to be of very high quality. Putting aside the P700 vs PG7 debate, what blade would you recommend based on these criterias?

P700 or BT777, still.

Both have the thickness, speed, feel and vibration you described in your criterias. As you are from Sweden, maybe you can select your prefered weight before get one of these.

Ludeack is thicker (6.5mm). From Nittaku I would say Adelie (6.2mm) but it's like 2x the price of Avalox..

auzcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auzcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 7:07am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

P700 or BT777, still.

Both have the thickness, speed, feel and vibration you described in your criterias. As you are from Sweden, maybe you can select your prefered weight before get one of these.

Ludeack is thicker (6.5mm). From Nittaku I would say Adelie (6.2mm) but it's like 2x the price of Avalox..

P700 it is then :) It's quite affordable as well, with the OC I bought three and then picked out the best, if I like the P700 I'll probably do the same.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

I'm not much of an EJ anymore, but I think the PG-7 is getting a bad, and undeserved rap in this thread.  

bes

iv read plenty good abt the pg7 and tbh one of the two pg7s I tried was decent. The second one had way too much vibrations (not in a good way.. more than even 5 plies). the handle suddenly started showing cracks near the neck. Both had a hollow kinda feel compared to other 7 plies which gave me the impression that it lacked power a bit behind the table and dint like it for blocking either.

The Force pro on the other hand is a seven 7 ply which I feel plays almost close to a 5 ply yet is still enough with a really good feel too.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 11:57am
Originally posted by khmd khmd wrote:

It is a 9-ply wood but its control and loop
like a 5-ply wood as it is less than 6 mm thick,
and smash and block are very powerful. It may be
slightly less than Clipper but very very close for block and
smash. However, its push and loop are significantly
better than clipper.

good loop.

The P900 is hard, flexible and fast. It's very different compared to most 7-ply blades, it's a different category, more for loopers. I don't think it's aimed at the same players than these. While it has its strengths, they're very different than the ones typically sought in seven plies. I didn't like it myself.

The PG7 I wouldn't want to try, it's so similar to other DHS higher end blades in composition that I can't help but suspect these are models that didn't pass QC.

Best of luck with the P700!
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 5:39pm
If this thread was entitled "avalox vs dhs" (which it is) then to me avalox is always going to be my choice. 
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by khmd khmd wrote:

good loop.
Tell that to Gao Ning or Miu Hirano Wink
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic