Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The Stiga blade quality issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Stiga blade quality issue
    Posted: 04/30/2016 at 11:22am
I currently play with Joola rossi emotion cpen and before this I had a Nittaku septear. In a few months (or a year) I want to upgrade to another composite blade. So far, I've narrowed my search to butterfly innerforce zlc and dhs hurricane hao 3. After finding out about the carbonado series I was very impressed and wanted to add carbonado 190 to the list as well but, I've heard very bad things about the built quality of stiga blades, especially the classic ones. So I wonder, whether the high end blades from stiga, like the carbonado series, also have the same "built quality" issue. If not so, then how does these three blades - innerforce zlc, hurricane hao 3 and carbonado 190 compare with one another in terms of built quality?

Besides this, right now I'm still doing research about which blade I should buy. So, if anyone want to suggest me some more names (composite blades only), that scores well in terms of built quality, I would appreciate that.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Sponsored Links

rajd1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajd1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 2:18pm
Stiga carbonado 145/190 is a good blade with direct feeling. I too was skeptical about the stiga quality issue. What i did was 1. Place an order in a quality shop
2. There should be a comments section or mail them your requirements. You previous experiance with stiga.

This way you can avoid the quality issue.
The finishing of the stiga blades are rough compared to bty, nittaku etc.

Most people sands the blade a little and laquers the blade a litle.

Hope this helps.
...Rajd...

My feedback url: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72846&PN=1#893078
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 3:08pm
You may do a little bit research about Stiga carbonado 45/90
which is modified version of 145/190. The key change is
core for 45/90 ayous (most stiga blades use this),
while 145/190 are kiri (most Butterfly use this). Also, 45/90
used thinner carbon to have better control and better wood feel
which may be important for CPen.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 3:30pm
I bought a Carbonado 145 brand new from a tt shop and the grains were warped. I showed a photo to the shop and they agreed that that was a bad quality blade.

Don't do it - chances are that you'll get a decent blade but you never know.

After this, I would not even go to a physical shop to buy this blade - I can see the outer layers are OK (if they are) but do I trust Stiga enough that the inner layers are good? No I don't.
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 11:42pm
I appreciate your responses. Thanks you guys.

What about DHS? I've never owned a DHS blade. So, a high end DHS blade like hurricane hao 3 comparable to innerforce zlc/timo boll alc quality wise?
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 1:02am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I bought a Carbonado 145 brand new from a tt shop and the grains were warped. I showed a photo to the shop and they agreed that that was a bad quality blade.

Don't do it - chances are that you'll get a decent blade but you never know.

After this, I would not even go to a physical shop to buy this blade - I can see the outer layers are OK (if they are) but do I trust Stiga enough that the inner layers are good? No I don't.

I had clipper cc that never splintered but my intensity carbon splintered
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 9:05am
Originally posted by khmd khmd wrote:

You may do a little bit research about Stiga carbonado 45/90
which is modified version of 145/190. The key change is
core for 45/90 ayous (most stiga blades use this),
while 145/190 are kiri (most Butterfly use this). Also, 45/90
used thinner carbon to have better control and better wood feel
which may be important for CPen.
Where did you get the information about the core ply from?

Thanks.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 11:41am
donic make some quality blades, but not handles if youre me.
i've owned a waldner legend carbon with a perfect blade but the lens was slightly odd as one side was lower than it should have been and below the other side. and my waldner WC89 which the germany "high quality" lens fell out after 4 weeks of use(i do get sweaty hands though) however the blade was perfect and i just glued the lens back.

also i have a second hand TBS which cost me 40 euros which has a great finish to it but a bit dinged from its past owner.

you'll probably be fine with STIGA but they charge top dollar and you dont NEED the doubt when you can get better quality finishing from someone like BBC, Soul-spin or donic for around the same money or less. but if youre heart is set make sure you buy from a good shop!
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 2:41pm
SmackDAT:
Sorry, 45/90 are identical
to 145/190 for its structure, with ayous as core for both.
I saw your vedio here but not sure whether you can read Chinese:

http://bbs.pingpang.info/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=730562&extra=page%3D2

http://bbs.pingpang.info/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=732415&extra=page%3D2

http://bbs.pingpang.info/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=735304&extra=page%3D1

http://bbs.pingpang.info/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=730597&extra=page%3D1
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

donic make some quality blades, but not handles if youre me.
i've owned a waldner legend carbon with a perfect blade but the lens was slightly odd as one side was lower than it should have been and below the other side. and my waldner WC89 which the germany "high quality" lens fell out after 4 weeks of use(i do get sweaty hands though) however the blade was perfect and i just glued the lens back.

also i have a second hand TBS which cost me 40 euros which has a great finish to it but a bit dinged from its past owner.

you'll probably be fine with STIGA but they charge top dollar and you dont NEED the doubt when you can get better quality finishing from someone like BBC, Soul-spin or donic for around the same money or less. but if youre heart is set make sure you buy from a good shop!

On your Waldner WC89, when you say lens, do you mean the "insert" in the handle ?
If yes, mine (circular) fell out on both of my blades. I had to use strong glue to glue it back in & hold firmly.  I too am disappointed at this "high quality" of craftsmanship  Shocked

Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

snip

On your Waldner WC89, when you say lens, do you mean the "insert" in the handle ?
If yes, mine (circular) fell out on both of my blades. I had to use strong glue to glue it back in & hold firmly.  I too am disappointed at this "high quality" of craftsmanship  Shocked

Thats exactly what i mean, however in terms of feel and playing wise i prefer it to all my other blades. apart from the feel of my for fun 1 ply hinoki
shaun729 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 8:09pm
I had a DHS 506 that splintered, my friend had a Butterfly blade whose head came off in the middle of a game. All brands have problems, at least STIGA make two different sized flared handles something Butterfly should have been doing years ago. With STIGA you can actually buy something from another country if it is not available where you live. Butterfly protective practice's suck, I wish people would stop buying Butterfly until they change their policies. Butterfly should at least allow importing a product that is not available in your country, it's not that hard the exporter just has to look up the Butterfly website in the country of the person that wants to import it and if the product is not there then they should be allowed to export it.

Edited by shaun729 - 05/01/2016 at 8:21pm
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by shaun729 shaun729 wrote:

I had a DHS 506 that splintered, my friend had a Butterfly blade whose head came off in the middle of a game. All brands have problems, at least STIGA make two different sized flared handles something Butterfly should have been doing years ago. With STIGA you can actually buy something from another country if it is not available where you live. Butterfly protective practice's suck, I wish people would stop buying Butterfly until they change their policies. Butterfly should at least allow importing a product that is not available in your country, it's not that hard the exporter just has to look up the Butterfly website in the country of the person that wants to import it and if the product is not there then they should be allowed to export it.
i know what you're saying but butterfly is well known for awesome fit and finish, the head flying off indicates the bat bieng sat on or struck against the table, which while not uncommon are not intended uses of the product. the reasons stiga has this reputation is because they often have catastrophic unpreventable failure.

splintering blade ---> seal it
broken core/ head flying off despite no damaging of blade is terrible however pretty unheard of.

stiga delamination on google is one type of issue plaguing stiga which is why i will never buy from them except maybe a clipper for a gift and seal it. Now stiga is a perfectly good company and if you need to return a blade because of manufacutring defects there are plenty of sucess stories, so really its mroe of a time and effort annoyance than an unusable item if you do get ONE OF THE FEW defective items

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 11:58pm
Stiga's quality has always been poor compared to Butterfly but personally I prefer feel of Stiga's wood blades so I think it's still worthwhile. I dunno about the Stiga carbon blades. 

One possible way around the quality control problem is to buy Stiga blades in Japan. I seriously wonder if the Japanese importer selects Stiga blades for the Japanese market. The last Stiga blade I bought (in Osaka) was an Ebenholtz 7-ply penhold and that has been perfect in terms of build. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic