Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Difference between ZLF and ZLC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PringlesRingles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PringlesRingles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between ZLF and ZLC
    Posted: 06/05/2016 at 9:44pm
What is the difference in for example the Timo Boll blades where one has ZLC and the other has ZLF?

Also a off topic question. What is "Arylate" that some butterfly blades have?
Sponsored Links

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2016 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by PringlesRingles PringlesRingles wrote:

What is the difference in for example the Timo Boll blades where one has ZLC and the other has ZLF?

This should help (and so would Google search Wink ):

http://www.butterfly.tt/info/products/technology/blades/artificial-fibers
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2016 at 10:33pm
ZLC plays stiffer and slightly faster from my experience.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by MindTrip MindTrip wrote:

ZLC plays stiffer and slightly faster from my experience.

+1

Slightly harder too...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 3:18pm
Not just slightly faster IMHO, actually quite a bit so.  ZLC is considerably harder.  Stiffness depends more on overall blade thickness.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 3:28pm
Arylate is another name for Vectran fiber.  It is very similar to Kevlar and aramid.  It's also used to make ropes, cable, sails, and in bicycle frames.

Btfly made a few blades at the start with just Arylate (most notably the Keyshot) but later found that a cross-weave with Arylate and Carbon (ALC) made the blade a little faster (but not generally too fast) and people liked it better.  Viscaria, Maze, Kong Linghui Special, Timo Boll Spirit and Timo Boll ALC are the classic ALC blades used by lots of pro players.  Another one was the Iolite, which was very thick and stiff.  The have been returning to this basic idea for decades now.  It depends on who they are sponsoring.  Now they have made versions for Freitas and Matsudaira.  The blades they make for each player have different handle shapes, and that is actually quite important.

All ALC blades have a relatively soft feel compared to what they would have with just carbon.  They can be soft, and yet stiff.  ALC tends to dampen out high frequency vibration, which some people like, and so feel very different from most all-wood blades.  

Zylon is another fiber originally introduced by Btfly now found in other blades.  A little different, but works in rather the same way as Arylate, but subtly different mechanical properties that at least some people like even better, but much more costly.  Generally a little faster and crisper feeling.  An early version was the Photino.  

Btfly has introduced blade series named after Timo Boll and Zhang Jike with all sorts of choices -- ALC, ZLF (just the zylon), ZLC (zylon carbon weave) super ZLC (more zylon in the weave), and a uniaxial carbon (hard, fast).  Lots of companies now have their own versions of these.  They have made zylon-containing blades for Jun Mitzutani and Liu Shiwen.  Another one that as out there for awhile was the Amultart (ZLC).
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 4:56pm
Baal has it all figured out. I pretty much just read his posts when looking for reviews of equipment.

TB ALC ended up being too fast for me. I may revisit it as I improve, but I bought a TB ZLF and use that now. It might be a little too fast still but that's debatable.

One thing I do love about both blades is the handle. That seems to be the most important aspect of a blade for me. Oddly enough the slower TB blades (all wood) use a different handle. Crazy.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 5:11pm
Comparing concretely TB ZLF and TB ZLC I could say TB ZLC is definitely faster and slightly softer while ZLF has more harder and muted feel, better for allround oriented players.
I feel myself much more safe to play with ZLF than ZLC.
Even Mizutani ZLC (elder version) with a weight of 86 grams is much more softer and speedy than TB ZLF same weight.
By the way, I could add some more information. I have Mizutani ZLC (elder version) 90 grams and that blade is pretty different than Mizutani ZLC 86 grams. More harder crisper feel for the blade with 90 grams. Maze blades I have had a lot. Each one is playing different. Last two blades I have 94grams and 90 grams are so different you can't say both blades are Maze. Impossible.
So, finally I could give an advice to the topic owner do not search a blade by some reviews or parameters, but to look (and test, if is possible) for a real blade to catch in hand.
Hope that post was useful.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

Comparing concretely TB ZLF and TB ZLC I could say TB ZLC is definitely faster and slightly softer while ZLF has more harder and muted feel, better for allround oriented players.

I respectfully disagree: TB-ZLC is harder than TB-ZLF for sure (purely IMHO, that is).
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

I respectfully disagree: TB-ZLC is harder than TB-ZLF for sure (purely IMHO, that is).

I believe you.
Back in 2008 I think someone gave me his TB ZLC with 05fx rubbers and that blade was extremely hard.
I am talking in general, but my experience with ZLF is connected only with hard blades.
Just by chance, probably.
Last year a friend bough new TB ZLF - much harder than any Mizutani or TB ZLC I had in my bag.
If you compare thicker ZLF blades versus thinner ZLC - possible ZLC would be harder.
P.S.
And... if I send you my ZLC "J" series 88 grams ST handle you will definitely forget the words posted in your last respectfully disagreed post.
Years ago some players couldn't believe that blade ZLC is ZLC. Also last year bought TB ZLC by another friend is more softer than my all Mizutani ZLC.
There is no logic, but this is a real truth.

Edited by kolevtt - 06/06/2016 at 6:10pm
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 10:14pm
In theory ZLC should be harder than ZLF due to carbon, but my TB ZLF is pretty hard, stiff and fast. I did play with the TB ZLC from time to time to try out from friends, even though it's not side by side comparison, but I don't see the TB ZLC as being harder, than the already hard blade. I detect a bit more vibration in the TB ZLF though, and the TB ZLC seem to have a longer throw, however, that could be due to the fact that I have SP on the back side of my TB ZLF.

IF ZLF on the other hand is slower than the IF ZLC. Both blades are soft. My guess is you really have to try the blade out, and should not base the blade performance on whether there is carbon or not.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 11:09pm
For sure the rubber is going to have a big impact on how these things feel.

I am an ALC guy so my opinions about ZLF, ZLC, or sZLC feel should not be taken as very authoritative, except for sure the sZLC is pretty fast compared to what I'm used to.

I've hit with so many different ALC blades that I have pretty good idea what the normal range is for those, and there is a range, no two are exactly alike (as NL already pointed out in the post below this one).  So if you want to generalize, you need to have played with several samples of each.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 11:13pm
Another disputable reference for any of these discussions - after all, two blades are never exactly the same.  That said, the chart does speak pretty well to manufacturer intent, especially when you see the ratings of the popular koto-ALC blades:

http://www.butterflyonline.com/Templates/BladeSpecifications.pdf
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 11:45pm

ZLF = Cash grab
ZLC = More cash grab
Arylate = Another cash grab
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

ZLF = Cash grab
ZLC = More cash grab
Arylate = Another cash grab

Says guy who plays with an ALC blade LOL

Then again, those of us who shell out know well that the cash is being grabbed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic