Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TT Robots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Schlager72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT Robots
    Posted: 07/24/2016 at 6:55am

I'm thinkng of purchasing a Newgy 2050 robot, but not sure how it would contribute positively to my game. What should I expect from it, would it be fair to compare it with a live human (coach or training partner) feeding you multiball rallies?

Besides the speed factor & practicing on my own without the need of an opponent or a coach, what could be the benefits of using a robot?

Which robot would be a good starting point? Do you'll think the ipong pro could serve my purpose or any other robots anyone's used with great success and durability?

TIA to everyone of your replies and participation which means even if you contribute negatively to this thread :)

Edited by Schlager72 - 07/24/2016 at 7:02am
M.Maze
FH H3 Neo (prov)
BH MX-P
Sponsored Links

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2016 at 10:33am
It's not fair to compare a robot to a live partner or coach feeding multiball.  It won't be as good.  With the 2050 the spin and speed will increase together, no slow but spinny balls.  And you won't get any experience judging the spin from watching the contact on the other side.  To me that's the worst thing about robot training.  

The advantages over a human partner are that the robot is always there, never wants to work on its own drill instead of what you want to do, and will be 100% consistent feeding.  
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2016 at 11:04am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

It's not fair to compare a robot to a live partner or coach feeding multiball.  It won't be as good.  With the 2050 the spin and speed will increase together, no slow but spinny balls.  And you won't get any experience judging the spin from watching the contact on the other side.  To me that's the worst thing about robot training.  

The advantages over a human partner are that the robot is always there, never wants to work on its own drill instead of what you want to do, and will be 100% consistent feeding.  

Hah, that'll be the day! Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2016 at 11:43am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

C-3PO might be up for the task ...
M.Maze
FH H3 Neo (prov)
BH MX-P
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2016 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Schlager72 Schlager72 wrote:

Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

C-3PO might be up for the task ...

He might be a little on the cheap side tough LOL

For your actual question at hand, I'm using the amicus pro robot ($2,000...) and it is by far my favorite -- ability wise. It can do slow, really spinny balls and separates speed of the ball from spin of the ball entirely, or just about entirely. It's portable with its own catch net also. My gripe about the amicus is how 'flimsy' it seems. For something that expensive and made to be moved around, I wish it had sturdier parts and connector cables. 

Cheaper ones... the ipong's are good for the lower end side. Their main problem is no ability to create side spin. 

I think the robopongs are probably the best mid-tier robots. Their biggest flaw is still linking speed of the ball to spin of the ball. You can get around this somewhat by doing a few creative shifts... such as placing the robot like 10 feet behind the table on max speed, so that by the time the ball hits the table it has slowed down substantially. Not ideal, depending on your purposes. 
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2016 at 1:52pm

I'm thinkng of purchasing a Newgy 2050 robot, but not sure how it would contribute positively to my game. What should I expect from it, would it be fair to compare it with a live human (coach or training partner) feeding you multiball rallies?

Besides the speed factor & practicing on my own without the need of an opponent or a coach, what could be the benefits of using a robot?

Which robot would be a good starting point? Do you'll think the ipong pro could serve my purpose or any other robots anyone's used with great success and durability?

TIA to everyone of your replies and participation which means even if you contribute negatively to this thread :)

I have a 2050 and find it a helpful tool.  I have had over time  the 540 and 1050 but the 2050 with the automatic feed and catch net provides plenty of options for a reasonable price.  It also helps to have a quality table I recently purchased a Joola 2500 and found that it played almost the same as the Butterfly tables at the club and provided a better overall experience with the 2050. I am a club level player and use the robot maybe 5 times a week and play competitive RR twice a week.  It does not replace human competition since by nature the robot has a consistent throw and spin no matter what your settings compared to human competition but for practicing various strokes,footwork and serving practice it definitely helps your game.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2016 at 7:03am

"It does not replace human competition since by nature the robot has a consistent throw and spin no matter what your settings compared to human competition but for practicing various strokes,footwork and serving practice it definitely helps your game."

That's what I needed to know, I need it to practice footwork, strokes & build up more endurance by challenging myself to faster speeds. I have seen a video of Timo practicing in his basement (probably) with a robot and filming himself it's on his FB page.

Which means even the pros find it to be a useful tool and use it successfully.
M.Maze
FH H3 Neo (prov)
BH MX-P
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2016 at 8:54am
I recommend you look into PaddlePalace AW32 Robot (similar price, but has two wheels, therefore it produces different/better spins than 2050)
http://www.paddlepalace.com/Paddle-Palace-A32W-PRO/productinfo/OPVA3/

I do see this robot being more professional, as two clubs close to me in Chicago have this type of robot.
It also had the recycling system/net.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2016 at 11:32am

"It does not replace human competition since by nature the robot has a consistent throw and spin no matter what your settings compared to human competition but for practicing various strokes,footwork and serving practice it definitely helps your game."

That's what I needed to know, I need it to practice footwork, strokes & build up more endurance by challenging myself to faster speeds. I have seen a video of Timo practicing in his basement (probably) with a robot and filming himself it's on his FB page.

Which means even the pros find it to be a useful tool and use it successfully.

I think the 2050's best area of benefit for intermediate and maybe advanced players is in footwork oriented drills. The benefits are broader the closer you are to being a beginner - so long as you are also getting coaching and not letting the robot help you to "drill in" bad habits.

It is also good for helping you to refine/fix basic stroke mechanics.  

It does not replace coaching, drilling with players or match play.  But it is a nice augment to these things.  Suppose you can get out to the club or for training 2-3 times a week, but not more for various reasons.  A robot at home could be used so that you get some practice time in 4 or 6 times in a week.  That extra practice time can make a big difference.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2016 at 9:41pm
I recently help a friend setup his 2050 because I have some previous experience with robots. But boy what a machine! It is at least 10x more complicated than what I expected with a thick manual. Not even setting it up on the table is an easy task. We agreed to skip the computer part and straight to what matters. After 15 minutes of further fiddling and struggle the robot finally agree to spit balls! Although it is a one wheel machine it is very nice to play with. After we got the basic down it is indeed quite easy to program where to land the balls and the inbuilt drills are all handy. I think it is a much better robot to practice with than those cheaper ones which can only do random oscillation.  

Edited by TurboZ - 07/30/2016 at 3:17am
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2016 at 3:43am
I just took out my Ipong V300 from storage which was basically packed away after the first week of play. But what the... the spinning disc connecting to the motor shaft was totally broken off! I don't know how it was done but I think I should remove the disc before storage. That piece of plastic is so fragile. Anyway I have to super glue it down and hope it holds. Lesson learnt.

I have very little use of it because I found picking up balls from the floor tiresome for every minute of play. Although I have also bought the Ipong catch net, the designed is just not meant for quick setup and take down and I have to disassemble it to its original form after use. That I believe had only setup and play once so far. 

Edited by TurboZ - 07/30/2016 at 3:54am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2017 at 5:40pm
So what robot is the best deal going these days? I'm going to buy a new one
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2017 at 6:05pm
With in mind the robot  will collect dust after a few hours of use, best is to not spend too much and the Newgy 2050 is the best value imo. 64 drills pre-programmed (maybe 10 that are very interesting and we can't get tired of). control box close to the player. catch net built in.
I have seen knockoff versions of the Newgy 2050 but I'm not sure they are prices well under the original that is supported in USA by a reputed company that I trust.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2017 at 10:56pm
I had a 2040 and I used it a ton back in the day.  I was hoping for something that would make a dead ball, but in the end the newgy may still be the best choice.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
raptor3x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor3x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 2:13am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I had a 2040 and I used it a ton back in the day.  I was hoping for something that would make a dead ball, but in the end the newgy may still be the best choice.

The new Butterfly Amicus is pretty solid. I have the Professional version but the advanced version is significantly cheaper and although it is still close to twice as much as the 2050 I think it's worth every cent.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 4:47pm
The ipong 300 looks like a deal to me. if I didn't know if I was going to use a robot all of the time I would go with that.

I went from a 540 to a Amicus after many years and no regrets here but I knew I was going to use it.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic