Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Shadow training benefits?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bwhite82986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwhite82986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shadow training benefits?
    Posted: 08/12/2016 at 4:55pm
Just decided to get back into it and will be playing 1-2x weekly for a few hours at a time but want to set aside some time in my daily routines to work in some jump rope and shadow strokes to work on footwork & muscle memory. Anyone spend any amount of time doing shadow training? I figure if it works for boxers it can work for table tennis
Sponsored Links

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2016 at 6:49pm
I'm doing speed training where I include footwork on the table.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2016 at 12:37am
I did a lot of shadow training before the US Nationals.  I was primarily working on getting some compact, counter-hitting strokes.  I played very well at Nationals (gaining some 59 rating points) and playing what I think was one of the best matches I ever played.  Several opponents and spectators commented on how they were impressed with the compact and efficient my strokes were.  I think the shadow training played a major part in getting me there.

I need to start doing more with my footwork and my looping before the US Open.

Be sure you have a good video example of the stroke or footwork you are trying to develop.  Working in front of a mirror is good.  But I think you also need to get some video from the side to make sure your shadowing is correct.

Although it is really difficult to force yourself to stop playing (using the stroke you are shadowing) it does really help establish the muscle memory much quicker.  I played for about 2 weeks doing only pushes and blocking while I was working on my counters.  Even then, when I first put the counters back in the game, video showed that I was not doing what I had done shadowing.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest you check out TTEdge.  The have some very interesting theories on using shadowing, very slow/low frequency multi-ball or robot feed, and hitting dropped balls to establish the correct muscle memory for your stroke.  I liked their approach so much that I became a premium member.

Good luck.

PS -  If you can find the "Just a Shadow of my Former Self" thread you can see some of my shadow progression.

Mark
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2016 at 1:07am
Originally posted by bwhite82986 bwhite82986 wrote:

Just decided to get back into it and will be playing 1-2x weekly for a few hours at a time but want to set aside some time in my daily routines to work in some jump rope and shadow strokes to work on footwork & muscle memory. Anyone spend any amount of time doing shadow training? I figure if it works for boxers it can work for table tennis

There is some video links and other info about this at North Little Rock Table Tennis Group timeline page on Facebook. I followed their info with my 4H helping a lot.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic