Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One sided Cpen Blade choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One sided Cpen Blade choices
    Posted: 08/17/2016 at 1:49am
Greetings fellow forums members.
I am usually a RPB player now, but I do miss the one sided Cpen.
As it makes my game more enjoyable with more footwork and a faster FH swing(lighter blade)

I would like to know some of the one sided Cpens which you guys would recommend.
I prefer a thicker thickness as I feel thin blades don't really cut it for comfort for one sided rubber play.
Kindly refer to the following:

1) Cpen blade with thickness of 6.5mm or more.
2) Relatively fast blade with adequate power to loop from mid/far table distance. (paired with rubbers such as Tenergy 05/ Tibhar MX/EL.
3) Blade face length of at least 161cm or more.
4) Composite or all wood blades are fine with me
*Cpen blades only, not Jpen please.

Blades that I've currently found that fits the list: (Will update this list, let me know if any mistakes)
1) Butterfly Yoshida Kaii
2) Stiga Clipper/CR/CC
3) Butterfly Chinese Real
4) Avalox/AVX J Aramid
5) Xiom Strato (Not sure if blade face length is at least 161cm)
6) Avalox/AVX Hado G2
7) Nittaku Ludeack Power Cpen (Rec. from ronakvyas86)

Cheers and keep them coming! 😊

Edited by Chewy - 08/17/2016 at 3:15am
Sponsored Links

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 1:53am
Do you want to try the one ply cpen from Xiom?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 2:15am
Nittaku ludeack power cpen

1) Thickness is 6.6mm

2) 7 ply all wood OFF/OFF+ blade. Speed and construction (Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba) similar to clipper but way better build quality. Pricey, but totally worth it (I had a shakehand septear with which i played with penhold grip coz i could not find a penhold blade at that time in my country. It has excellent build quality. Better than all of my other blades). And it works well with Tenergies.

3) The guy I buy my equipment from (and I trust his advice) had told me it has a headsize of 165×154mm. Although it's not the case with other nittaku cpens like violin and acoustic both of which have the headsize of 161×151mm. So, not a 100% sure here.

Edited by ronakvyas86 - 08/17/2016 at 2:18am
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 3:14am
@Egghead, are you referring to the Xiom Kantana Cpen? If yes, could you describe the handle size? Which brands are the handle size most similar to? I find Yasaka and DHS Cpen handles are the most comfortable.

@Ron, thank you for your contribution. I have added it to the list.
It seems like a good option! Any idea on the handle size? Similar to which brands? As I know Nittaku handles might be different for some Cpen models.

**As much as I like Xiom Strato, the thick handle is difficult for me to grip sometimes. Kindly let me know if handles for models are similar! :)

Edited by Chewy - 08/17/2016 at 3:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 3:29am
I've never owned a Nittaku cpen but the shakehand septear that I have has a thin handle, much thinner than stiga clipper's shakehand which my friend plays with. I think I read another post in this or the ooak forum in which there was a mention of nittaku cpens having a thin handle, but again, not very sure.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 3:39am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

Nittaku ludeack power cpen

1) Thickness is 6.6mm

2) 7 ply all wood OFF/OFF+ blade. Speed and construction (Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba) similar to clipper but way better build quality. Pricey, but totally worth it (I had a shakehand septear with which i played with penhold grip coz i could not find a penhold blade at that time in my country. It has excellent build quality. Better than all of my other blades). And it works well with Tenergies.

3) The guy I buy my equipment from (and I trust his advice) had told me it has a headsize of 165×154mm. Although it's not the case with other nittaku cpens like violin and acoustic both of which have the headsize of 161×151mm. So, not a 100% sure here.

No joke. Ludeack Power Cpen is 164 x 154mm in size and 6.8mm in thickness. It got a big and thick handle too. 

Edited by TurboZ - 08/17/2016 at 3:40am
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 3:53am
Strato Cpen has a blade face of 160 x 151mm and 6.8mm in thickness. 
Seryi View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seryi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 4:28am
Buy timo boll spark. Send me any information [email protected]
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 6:27am
@Turboz, thank you Turboz. Always reliable first-hand information!

@Seryi, sorry Seryi but I don't quite get you. I guess you are recommending the Timo Boll Spark?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 8:41am
Butterfly Taksim, I heard, is great for one sided penhold technique. But it has slightly smaller headsize (158×150mm with 7mm thickness according to butterfly china: http://www.butterfly-china.com/cn/?p=62&a=view&r=214 ). Taksim-X, however, has a larger headsize 162×156mm with the same thickness and plywood construction as the original Taksim.

These blades are hard to get outside of the chinese market and even if you do get them, they're too expensive. You can try Yinhe V-15, which is a clone if Butterfly Viscaria (shakehand version of Taksim, slightly thin though). Don't know about the headsize of the cpen version but from what I know about the other yinhe cpens it might be equal to or larger than 161×150mm. Check it out on TTNPP, it's quite cheap and people who own yinhe blades has good things to say about it's build quality. Send TTNPP an email and they'll tell you about the headsize of Yinhe V-15 Cpen http://ttnpp.com/store/galaxy-yinhe/401-galaxy-yinhe-v15-k5-upgrade-7.html
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 9:56am
I would say Clipper or Donic Burn Off.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 10:14am
Going one side only huh? Man if I was going to do that, I'd just use my jpen. more comfortable grip and easily more power for me.  (I tend to spin it better with Cpen. Weird)

I have a Clipper and I generally consider it my best blade but I think I only like it with short pips. I don't think it's the best for inverted. If I wanted to throw inverted on it, I'd rather just throw that on my DHS PG7 which is a great, similar blade better suited for that style IMO.

Edited by suds79 - 08/17/2016 at 10:15am
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 11:04am
@Ron Yes know about the Taksim but having mixed feelings about the slightly smaller headsize. I did not know about the Taksim X though, I can get both through pre-ordering from China. But the price is indeed expensive! Thank you, I will check with the Yinhe models you mentioned.

@TTNewbie, which Clipper variants? Or all of them are good?

@suds79, similarly I spin better with Cpen as well! I think its mainly because I started out very young as a one sided Cpen thats why I'm "naturally" more used to it. Jpen is good and all but I already have 2 of them. Haha! This is just my blade to go to when I take a short break from RPB between matches/ trainings.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Chewy Chewy wrote:

@TTNewbie, which Clipper variants? Or all of them are good?

Regular Clipper. And the new model, which is thicker than old ones. Mine is 162x150 with 6.8mm thickness.
But I play with short pips, maybe inverted does not fit so well.
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 2:51pm
@TT newbie sounds good enough to me!

Has anyone have experience playing with a Cpen with 7-ply hinoki wood? Curious to know how it feels compared to Clipper, YEO, HHao or Intensity Cpen would be useful.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 3:06pm

Has anyone have experience playing with a Cpen with 7-ply hinoki wood? Curious to know how it feels compared to Clipper, YEO, HHao or Intensity Cpen would be useful.

Only 7-ply hinoki cpen I played was Septear C.
It´s terrible. Compared to Clipper it´s dead. Too soft to block and lacks the punch to attack.
Not to mention it has a very small head size for a cpen blade.
xujinjiang99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xujinjiang99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 3:40pm
Butterfly Chinese Real has a quite small head size.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2016 at 3:56pm
Kong Linghui Euro or Ludeack are very good 7 plies,  7 mm thick. You can use them with inverted, short pips or even long pips OX.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 1:03am

@TT newbie sounds good enough to me!

I've played with septear and YEO. Both blades are good. Septear is faster, much softer, has more gears and slightly better feel than YEO. Goes very well with medium hard to hard rubbers. I tried Acuda S1 Turbo, nimbus soft and mark v on Septear. Out of these, Acuda works best with this blade and nimbus the worst (too soft). Not suitable for pips either
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 3:36am
Butterfly Cpens are very limited. Especially when you're out of China. A selected choice.
The Yoshida Kaii somehow to me, I feel it might be similar to a Clipper.
According to you guys, seems like Clipper is a widely accepted choice.

As to Septear, seems like you guys don't really like it. And has to be with certain kind of rubbers. Thank you very much! Did not know how 7 ply Hinokis Cpens felt like.

Looks like the choice are limited unless we include the thinner blades? Then there is a wide variety.
Thinner blades usually feel more uncomfortable within the thumb and index area for me, feels like it's cutting into me.
Weird.... Don't have this problem with RPB though. As I will usually sand till the index finger has a comfortable slight hook.
The forehand somewhat suffers a little in performance though..
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 8:36am
take a look of Avalox P900:
it is 9-ply wood designed for 40+, faster than clipper with great control.
although its loop likes a 5-ply, it has great power.
thickness is 5.9-6.0 mm and head size is identical to clipper.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 1:42am

Butterfly Cpens are very limited. Especially when you're out of China. A selected choice.
The Yoshida Kaii somehow to me, I feel it might be similar to a Clipper.
According to you guys, seems like Clipper is a widely accepted choice.

As to Septear, seems like you guys don't really like it. And has to be with certain kind of rubbers. Thank you very much! Did not know how 7 ply Hinokis Cpens felt like.

Looks like the choice are limited unless we include the thinner blades? Then there is a wide variety.
Thinner blades usually feel more uncomfortable within the thumb and index area for me, feels like it's cutting into me.
Weird.... Don't have this problem with RPB though. As I will usually sand till the index finger has a comfortable slight hook.
The forehand somewhat suffers a little in performance though..

Did not say that I don't like septear. All the rubbers you mentioned works well with septear. Only the mushy kind are not recommended. And feeling of this blade is amazing. The blade is soft compared to the others you mentioned. But it's a great blade and not very pricey. Don't know the head dimensions of cpen but looking at the other nittaku blades it should be fine
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 1:54am
I have some Nittaku Cpen but not Septear. I see it has a mid size head of 150 x 157mm unlike any of mine. 

Edited by TurboZ - 08/20/2016 at 1:55am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 2:07am
That's weird. Coz the shakehand septear that I have also has the headsize of 157×150mm. Did you get this from nittaku's official website?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 2:12am
Yup. I just saw that, its from nittaku's official website
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 4:38am
I actually like the TSP Black Balsa 7.0 too. But the Penhold version seems small with an advertised headsize of 153x153mm?

Oh.. and the Darker speed 90 Cpen. Naiseeeeeee! ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 6:25am
I think you should get a Clipper. Better if you get a HRT clipper. It's a Clipper clone that you can get for 20 dollars from ttnpp. There is a wide range of blades that play similar to clipper. If you like HRT, but still feel that you should get a proper branded blade then you can go for a Clipper or other clipper like blade later on
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 7:34am

I actually like the TSP Black Balsa 7.0 too. But the Penhold version seems small with an advertised headsize of 153x153mm?

Yes, I have a TSP Reflex 50 and the headsize is exactly 153 x 153mm. 
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 9:26am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

That's weird. Coz the shakehand septear that I have also has the headsize of 157×150mm. Did you get this from nittaku's official website?

The information is right. Septear C has a very small head size compared to "made in Sweden" cpen blades (Donic, Stiga, Avalox, Yasaka)
rosecitytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2016 at 12:00pm
Yes been using BB7.0, feels very good. And several high level players verified it plays well.
I wish the head size could be little bigger though.
Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic