Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Is this Haifu Dolphin 2016 Glue 'legal'?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this Haifu Dolphin 2016 Glue 'legal'?
    Posted: 08/21/2016 at 4:17am
Being relatively new to table tennis, I am not really familiar with speed gluing. A friend at a club recently glued on a rubber for me using this bottle and when I asked him if this was 'speed-glue' he said yes, and explained to me that when he competes he's not allowed to use it. 

Obviously, hardly any players here will ever play in ITTF tournaments, so it makes sense to use speed-glue to save money. I had a look in a shop the other day and this was the only glue they sold, suggesting this is what most players use. 

The smell that this glue gives off definitely made me suspicious but there's no clues on the bottle about if it's VOC free or if it's a VOC non-ITTF approved alternative or something different. Anyone know?

Sponsored Links

tomaschonnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomaschonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2016 at 6:05am
Hi Simon, I'm also in Vietnam. Pretty sure this is not water-based glue. It's commonly used here, and no one will care.

A few warnings though...

When you apply the glue to your rubber, it will expand. Later on, your rubber will shrink when you take it off the blade. Apart from a reduction in size, there may also be some changes (worsening) in characteristics of the sponge. Not sure about that; others here may know more about that.

A modern rubber like tenergy, if that is what your are using, is designed to work with water-based glue, so there is no need for speed glue. It works fine with water-based glue. Plenty fast!

Edited by tomaschonnie - 08/21/2016 at 8:06am
Jun Mizutani ZLC, F/H Tenergy 80, B/H Tenergy 05
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2016 at 11:02am
Hmmm, that's got me a bit worried now because it's the glue that a shop used when they glued a sheet of hexer for me and when my friend used it, it was for a sheet of Stiga Calibar Sound. Both of which are what I guess to be modern rubbers that might not respond too well to this sort of glue. 

Will this put a bit of new life into an old sheet of Tenergy that I've got lying around?
tomaschonnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomaschonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Hmmm, that's got me a bit worried now because it's the glue that a shop used when they glued a sheet of hexer for me and when my friend used it, it was for a sheet of Stiga Calibar Sound. Both of which are what I guess to be modern rubbers that might not respond too well to this sort of glue. 

Will this put a bit of new life into an old sheet of Tenergy that I've got lying around?

not sure exactly which rubbers were designed with water-based glue in mind. if it's an old sheet og tenergy, go try it.
Jun Mizutani ZLC, F/H Tenergy 80, B/H Tenergy 05
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 5:09pm
this is speed glue - modern rubbers are better with booster than this. So try to peel the glue off and apply water based glue. Tear mender is a good one :-)
lucifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 11:41am
Originally posted by tomaschonnie tomaschonnie wrote:

Hi Simon, I'm also in Vietnam. Pretty sure this is not water-based glue. It's commonly used here, and no one will care.

A few warnings though...

When you apply the glue to your rubber, it will expand. Later on, your rubber will shrink when you take it off the blade. Apart from a reduction in size, there may also be some changes (worsening) in characteristics of the sponge. Not sure about that; others here may know more about that.

A modern rubber like tenergy, if that is what your are using, is designed to work with water-based glue, so there is no need for speed glue. It works fine with water-based glue. Plenty fast!

rubbers used with water based glue will also shrink.
ask my tenergies.....
as for performance, I haven't experienced changes because of using speed glue or water based glue.
I have used haifu whale glue which is practically the same as haifu dolphin glue....
speed glue might dome the rubber just a little bit, but nothing close to a real booster.

Edited by lucifer - 08/23/2016 at 11:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic