Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gewo Zoom Balance ALL+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gewo Zoom Balance ALL+
    Posted: 08/21/2016 at 4:23pm
I've been keeping an eye on this blade for a while.  It's popped up on several German webshops in the last several months.  It's cheap, and the descriptions have said things along the lines of:

Quote GEWO Zoom Balance ALL+ combines premium wood plies (Kiri, Ayous, Koto) with two layers of the high-tech material Texalium

I've got a soft spot for ALL+ blades, especially with artificial layers, and my guess was that the outer ply would be koto.  And it wasn't expensive, so I took a punt on it.  Something with some immediate punch without massive overall speed in comparison with some of my recent blades perhaps.  And a cheap, ALL+ blade with texalium - interesting, eh?

91g, 150x157, 6.2mm thickness (on my calipers anyway), quite a squared ST handle:

However, there is a problem.  You may have guessed already after that last photo, but here's another one:

Yeah, no texalium there.  After scratching my head for a bit, I actually found that Gewo have helpfully put the blade construction on the box and it says - 5 ply, Limba - Koto - Ayous.  Which is exactly what it looks like.  So be aware that some mistake has been made somewhere, and the info you can find on some sites will be wrong.  I let the sellers know and they've passed the info on, so expect some corrections in the near future.

Anyway, I'm still quite interested in this blade regardless.  What will it play like in comparison with classic korbel-type blades?  Is it really an ALL+?  Is there another blade with this construction out there?  I checked the blades database and the Globe Off 5 is probably the closest with Limba - Koto - Kiri, or maybe the DHS H-WL with Limba - Meranti - Ayous, or maybe even the old Sammy Alpha.

The blade itself is very well made with a super-smooth finish and zero visible flaws.  I'll give it a test this week.

Edited by AndySmith - 08/21/2016 at 4:34pm
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2016 at 5:49am
Pretty thick for an All+ blade.  What did you conclude?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2016 at 6:58am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Pretty thick for an All+ blade.  What did you conclude?

I really like this one.  I bought a second one and purged some blades on eBay.

It's stiff and solid, initial feel is classic limba but the thickness, normal headsize and harder medial give it a bit more bang in the middle gears in comparison with a Primorac.  It's another one of those blades that can't really be described as ALL+ in a lot of ways - both of mine are 92g and feel almost as fast as a korbel of similar weight apart from the top end which is noticeably slower.  Works well when paired up with rubbers with late catapult to help when caught at distance from the table, but it's obviously best when close-in.  I've got Omega V Asia on the FH, Gewo Hype EL 42.5 on the BH, and the setup is one of the best I've used for a close-up strategy of fast counters combined with spin attack when opening up off backspin.

The ST handle is squared, and I don't like that so I sanded the edges down to make it more of a round ST.  But otherwise I can't fault it - workmanship is excellent, price is cheap, feel is good and it supports my game style very well.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 7:45am
look like primorac off- to me
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 8:25am
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

Nah, it's a lot thicker (thicker than a Korbel even), and is limba-koto rather than limba-limba.

Gewo do have the Zoom Pro blade which looks more like a Primorac clone.  This is a bit different, and I can't think of a good comparison from other brands really.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 8:54am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

Nah, it's a lot thicker (thicker than a Korbel even), and is limba-koto rather than limba-limba.

Gewo do have the Zoom Pro blade which looks more like a Primorac clone.  This is a bit different, and I can't think of a good comparison from other brands really.

When I saw the thickness, Powerwood was what came to mind though as you said, the composition is unique. I am tempted, but I will pass. My game has issues other than equipment.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

When I saw the thickness, Powerwood was what came to mind though as you said, the composition is unique. I am tempted, but I will pass. My game has issues other than equipment.

I did think about how it would suit your game when I first used it actually, but I can't see it being different enough to other blades you've used recently to make the effort worth your while.  I got them as an alternative to a Powerwood in the end (and I was considering the Eternity as well), and I certainly wouldn't get a Powerwood  as well now.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 9:28am
I think it is am improvement because of the head size - makes a difference when using heavier rubbers. That was my biggest issue with the Powerwood. I liked the Eternity, but in addition to going to something slower, the usual Stiga quality issues are there with the top ply chipping. I have never sealed my Yasaka Extra and I do not chip its top ply.

If I give it a go or recommend it, the head size will be my excuse.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 10:06am
Ah yes, the head size is super standard.  Can't go wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic