Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenergy Rubber for Backhand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy Rubber for Backhand?
    Posted: 09/24/2016 at 5:04am
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to replace my backhand rubber because I feel like the rubber I'm using at the moment - Sriver FX, lacks power.

In the name of accessibility and reliability, I'm looking to the Tenergy series.

Backhand makes up a large portion of my game.

I do a lot of backhand flicks/loops to return serves and open rallies and do a lot of blocking and killing on the backhand side.  I also value being able to generate spin on my bh serves and push backspin (though since Sriver seems to be pulling its weight in this department I suspect most newer rubbers will be fine).

In trying different rubbers, I tended to favor med to med-low throw rubbers and med to med-soft hardness (34-36).

I realize I've probably just described how most modern two wing attackers bh but hey. Cool

After watching The Science of Tenergy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0CEUQveMuw, it seemed that 80 or 80-FX would be a good compromise but reviews seem to be a mixed and it's the least popular.

I'm looking at 05-FX, 64 and 64-FX but it's really hard to decide without having tried them.

I'd really appreciate advice from players who've been in my shoes or could give recommendations (even outside the Tenergy series) based on my situation.

Thanks in advance! 

Edit: 

For some added context, I started with the old Srivers and then used Sriver G3 and Xiom Vega Europe on my bh.  G3 was good but it's hard to get a hold of for me and fairly close to Tenergy in price anyway.  Didn't like Vega Europe.  I don't have either of these rubbers anymore so I went back to an old Sriver FX to play with. 

Edited by iamj8 - 09/24/2016 at 10:42pm
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 6:16am
Coming from Sriver FX, you should gain a lot of extra speed and spin from Tenergy 05-FX or even Xiom Vega Pro - have a look at those, don't bother with the 80 or 64 series for now.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 10:32am
From your list of characteristics T64/64x or Tenergy 80, Tenergy 80x might be too soft for your preference.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 11:15am
Don't waste your time with reviews or comments from people you have never played or seen play.  It's not a question we can answer without seeing you play.  I have seen every single Tenergy rubber, including T25 and T25FX, used by people with great backhands.  I recently tried all the Tenergies in regular sponge on my FH in a quick test and I realized that while there were clear differences, given time, I could adapt to any of them. MY BH is my better wing so I can pretty much use anything there.

T80FX is a great rubber if that is what you want - I have seen people use it on both their backhand and forehand and I would not blame the rubber for anything that was off with their play.

All the Tenergies have high throw but relative to each other, T64 has the lowest.  I currently use T80 on both sides but I could just as well use any of them, including the FXs.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/24/2016 at 11:17am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 11:21am
I would avoid the FX ones, especially now that most people play with the plastic ball. I tried 05FX for a month, but it is just too soft. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 11:43am
Somebody where you play probably uses Tenergy.  Try their blade, it is better than asking here.  NL is right.  Until the price went back up again, I was using T05 on both sides and happy with it.  Now I am using MX-P on both sides and am happy with it. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 11:45am
Baal if Nl is so right then this forum would just die Confused
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

I would avoid the FX ones, especially now that most people play with the plastic ball. I tried 05FX for a month, but it is just too soft. 

Again, no one has ever seen you play, but if Kreanga can use T05FX and the best junior in my club can use T05FX, then I don't see why anyone can't use T05FX.  It's really down to sponge preferences and feeling for directness.  I would avoid the soft ones too, but I have always avoided the soft ones because I like the hard impact and feeling of taking the ball early.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by The Canadian Bacon The Canadian Bacon wrote:

No it wouldn't.  When I read a person's review of a rubber, I can tell if I know them or have seen their reviews of what I have used whether to take their views seriously or not.   Of course, people will have preferences in the Tenergy series and I went to T80 because I just realized that I couldn't continue to emphasize my loop over my block given my physical issues.  But it's not like now I am using T80, when I serve a backspin serve, my spin is now much less heavy because T80 spins less, or that because the rubber feels softer, I play a very different game from when I use T05.  It's small things that if OP cared about those things, he would not be posting the question to this forum because he would be at a level that he would be discussing those things with fellow high level players.
Cybershape Carbon
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 2:04pm
It's a bit unfair to judge to OP because he brings a question to this forum. Isn't that what it is for..?

After all, you can't always get an answer from club members who don't believe in Tenergy or have a different agenda...

However, in all honesty I'm on a BH rubber merrygoround and the OP will do well to find one Tenergy to stick with...

You can't go far wrong with T05 FX to start with for BH. T05 could be too hard, based on your current rubber preference...

Jump in, try. Enjoy!

Edited by CraneStyle - 09/24/2016 at 2:05pm
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 2:13pm
How about not going all the way to Tenergies? I mean, I played Sriver FX for quite some time and that rubber really"lacks power". 

However, there is a whole gamut of about 10 grades of power between Sriver FX and the usual Tenergies.

How about trying other rubbers on your BH that are less of a rocket, like Sriver G3, Yasaka Pride 30, XTend, Nittaku Hammond ProBeta, Tibhar Sinus or Nimbus Soft, etc, etc.?
These may be much easier to control in majority of situations.

Edited by JacekGM - 09/24/2016 at 2:19pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 2:14pm
My impressions (from the POV of 1800-2100 allround attacking player)

a) T-05 - very fast and very spinny. Least control, most possibilities for high level player. Quite sensitive to spin, block is average to good.

b) T-05 FX - fast, lots of catapult. More control. Not great in short game because of catapult. Good in attack and spin, sometimes bottoms out but not too bad. Good block.

c) T-25 or T-25 FX - best block, most control. Not a lot of catapult, very good in short game. Not great in spin and in topspin attack. Least sensitive.

d) T-80, T-80 FX - pretty good in everything. T-80 FX has a bit more control, bit less power, a bit more spin than T-80. Average to low sensitivity to spin, very good block.

e) T-64 - very fast, OK spin and topspin attack, a little straighter than most Tenergy, a bit less catapult unless you REALLY apply it. Control average to good, short game average. Sensitivity and block - average to good

f) T-64 FX - in my opinion, worst of the Tenergy rubbers, should not be even called Tenergy because it lacks all the standard properties of Tenergy line. Less predictable, strange rubber, that doesn't do anything better than average.

My recommendation for backhand is T-80 FX (my preference), T-80 or T-05 FX.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 4:17pm

Not quite sure what you mean but there is a certain sort of EJ thread that invites people to waste money and which is actually pretty pointless.  At the end of the day, the only way to know if you like something is to try it. 

One way to try something is to buy it.  It is actually fun to try new stuff,  but there is no point spending money stupidly. 

At a point I figured out that most of the stuff I have ever tried that I really really liked was stuff I discovered by hitting with a clubmate's blade.  It is how I discovered the Viscaria blade a long time ago.  It is how I figured out what Tenergy was like, shortly after it first came out (and I definitely did not fall in love with it immediately, the high throw was pretty off-putting coming from first-generation Tensors.  I learned that MX-P is easy to use if you are used to Tenergy 05 and is in every way an acceptable alternative -- because a clubmate had it on his blade.  It is also how I discovered that there is a lot of stuff I could never use. 

I now rarely buy stuff  just stuff to try it.  Once in awhile.  I got lucky with my Ovtcharov True Carbon that way (but I already knew how Donic shapes their ST handles and I also knew that the blade composition would be almost identical to a Viscaria, so it was not a huge leap, and as it turns out, I got lucky). 

Tenergy is the most expensive rubber sold today. It is very very good -- at least some of the versions -- but insanely over-priced.  The OP asks a bunch of people he doesn't know of unknown level who may or may not play like he does and who may or may not have actually spent much time with these rubbers whether to buy a Tenergy and which one to buy (and there are now eight versions for each thickness).  Not surprisingly he gets a bunch of answers that are in many ways contradictory.

NL points out that a lot of this is a matter of taste anyway and we don't know what the OP likes.  Or how he plays.  I don't like Tenergy 05 FX at all on my BH.  But Kreanga does.  I'd say Kreanga has a gazillion times more authority to talk about BH then I do --- except for one thing, who on this forum actually hits a BH the way Kreanga does?  How many people in the world? 

And  you think a comment that kills a forum?  Confused  I mean, really, you think that?

No.

What kills a forum (or at least slows it down) is when it turns almost entirely into a place for people to discuss their EJing.  Some people who EJ a lot start to delude themselves into thinking they can see or feel things that are frankly impossible.  I have to think about whether or not to elaborate on that.  I probably won't because it would anger a couple of very active forum members who I like a lot even though I have discerned this trait in some of their comments.   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Don't waste your time with reviews or comments from people you have never played or seen play.  It's not a question we can answer without seeing you play.  I have seen every single Tenergy rubber, including T25 and T25FX, used by people with great backhands.  I recently tried all the Tenergies in regular sponge on my FH in a quick test and I realized that while there were clear differences, given time, I could adapt to any of them. MY BH is my better wing so I can pretty much use anything there.

T80FX is a great rubber if that is what you want - I have seen people use it on both their backhand and forehand and I would not blame the rubber for anything that was off with their play.

All the Tenergies have high throw but relative to each other, T64 has the lowest.  I currently use T80 on both sides but I could just as well use any of them, including the FXs.

That's very negative and down *******  accusing everyone who doesn't show themselves mostly because they care about their privacy...why bother using  the forums then?

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 09/24/2016 at 5:08pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 8:53pm
The statement is harsher than my intention but I am pretty much saying that if his concernso about T80FX or T80 are driven by online reviews, he should dismiss them.

I understand privacy concerns but they are no reason why people should not be able to make their playing level known when rating equipment. Some people do and this makes the equipment discussions more meaningful. Some others develop a history of posts that can let people get an idea of how objective they are. I am just warning anyone who is new to this review business not to take reviews at face value. Some people reviewing equipment have really bad technique but you would never know from the reviews. Some even lie about their level of play.

Equipment reviews are not as objective as some people think they are. Level of player and quality of strokes make a big difference. Because of where I sit across the forums, I am in a position where I know many of the people reviewing equipment and I shake my head sometimes at the things people say and wonder whether they would say the same thing if they posted a review with video of their stroke.

I remember a review a while back from someone who posted video and the most common comment was that he lacked a real forehand so people could not assess the rubber from his review. We can only be grateful that he was honest.

I like and read all my favorite EJS and I am one too. I wouldn't like any of them if I have no insight into their level of play.

Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 9:53pm

That's very negative and down *******  accusing everyone who doesn't show themselves mostly because they care about their privacy...why bother using  the forums then?

The fact that you heard or read something on the internet does not make it true.  These are words to live by, and it is not limited to forums on ping pong. 

I invite you to go and look at any of the hundreds of threads here and elsewhere where a poster asks for advice about "what rubber to get for their backhand".  It is a popular question.  Then read the comments and ask yourself, how can their be so many different answers and how can so many of them be more or less mutually exclusive?

So all NL has done is point that out.

(And I will note that a lot of people have suggested T80 and T80 FX.  Both are really good on a lot player's backhands; but  I again suggest that the OP not take my word for it and see if someone he knows has a blade with Tenergy on it he can try.  If not, maybe someone has some Tibhar Evolution or Donic Bluefire or Andro Rassant or something along those lines he can try.  If coming from Shriver FX he finds one of those somewhat "Tenergy-like" ESN rubbers to be too difficult to use effectively, he will also find most Tenergy rubbers difficult to use. He may also find one of those to be really good, in which case he can buy it from TT11 for half the price of Tenergy).
panany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 10:03pm
Now i see lot of chinese use h3 for backhand they stop tenergy :)
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 10:41pm
Thank you for your feedback everyone.  A lot of insightful comments here and I do appreciate the input from everyone.

For some added context, I started with the old Srivers and then used Sriver G3 and Xiom Vega Europe on my bh.  G3 was good but it's hard to get a hold of for me and fairly close to Tenergy in price anyway.  Didn't like Vega Europe.  I don't have either of these rubbers anymore so I went back to an old Sriver FX to play with. 

I'll have a look into the T80's and see if I'll be able to try it. 
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The fact that you heard or read something on the internet does not make it true.  These are words to live by, and it is not limited to forums on ping pong. 

I invite you to go and look at any of the hundreds of threads here and elsewhere where a poster asks for advice about "what rubber to get for their backhand".  It is a popular question.  Then read the comments and ask yourself, how can their be so many different answers and how can so many of them be more or less mutually exclusive?

So all NL has done is point that out.

(And I will note that a lot of people have suggested T80 and T80 FX.  Both are really good on a lot player's backhands; but  I again suggest that the OP not take my word for it and see if someone he knows has a blade with Tenergy on it he can try.  If not, maybe someone has some Tibhar Evolution or Donic Bluefire or Andro Rassant or something along those lines he can try.  If coming from Shriver FX he finds one of those somewhat "Tenergy-like" ESN rubbers to be too difficult to use effectively, he will also find most Tenergy rubbers difficult to use. He may also find one of those to be really good, in which case he can buy it from TT11 for half the price of Tenergy).

Please don't quote me out of context, thank you.

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

my last reply to this thread out of respect to the OP

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 09/24/2016 at 11:24pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 12:47am
What I wrote is actually a response to the entire context of what you wrote. I know you were unhappy about NL's post about commenters of unknown level, style, etc. making recomendations to the equally unknown OP. But those comments are still spot on. And out of respect to the OP I think NL and I are both trying to give him useful advice and information. I gave him some thoughts that could save him money.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 9:58am
With all honesty, for one, JimT has provided a very good and succinct summary of the Tenergy field - thank you again - that somehow escaped this discussion. 
Secondly, I did mention earlier here that the need for a Tenergy may not be that much substantiated, and iamj8 has just sort of responded to that, thank you, I understand availability might be an issue, sometimes, although I am not entirely convinced...

Thirdly, I may be alone on this one, but I think that the "unprofessional" advice about equipment often provided on this forum has a huge positive value to so many of us. It is true in the end it all comes down to what suits your style, your level and your taste, but without all the diverse (and colorful) information provided by us here - yes, at various levels... - the alternative would be just a bleak field of professional, sometimes "for fee", often unapproachable consultation services that one might perhaps obtain from so called high level coaches/players. Come on, common sense, please...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 12:59pm
I think those of us who read carefully are smart enough to see that no one is disputing that there can be value in reviews. The problem is whem people listen to such reviews without any knowledge of the reviewer or how to relate the review to ehat they know or need. I know Jim T's level so I can put his advice in context.

I also know people who do well with T64FX.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 2:14pm
I have actually played with T05, T05FX, T64, T80, T25, and T25Fx.  Many years with T05.  A lot of time with T64 (at least 9 months), which was my "entry" into Tenergy when the first time I tried T05 I found it too different from what I had used before.  T80, and T25FX each spent months on my BH.  I did not spend much time with T05FX because I disliked it immediately.  And yet, I would hesitate to recommend any of these to the OP, because I have no idea what he might find most suitable. 

Anyway, OP has bought some T80, which is certainly very usable on BH. 

BUT.     To the OP.  This is going to be very different from what you have used before, so give it some time before deciding if you will stick with it. 

At the time I bought my first sheet of Tenergy 05 (a few weeks after they first started selling it in the US), I had been using Donic F1 Desto and Donic JO Gold, which were pretty much first generation "speed glue" effect rubbers introduced in anticipation of the speed glue ban.  I think very few people would care for them much these days, they feel kind of plastic and their durability was a joke, but even those would be faster and probably spinnier than any version of Sriver.  They would be considered very "low throw" rubbers now, with a speed/spin ratio that few players here would accept now.  So on my first attempt with Tenergy 05, well it felt incredibly, weird, like I kept hitting these moonballs, and I was simply unable to hit the top of the ball enough.  After a week or so I gave it away.  Probably a mistake.

T64 was a much easier adjustment, and a nice "transition" rubber, with a lot of Tenergy characteristics, but not the full effect you get with 05.  After several months with 64, the next time I tried 05, it felt great.  I immediately could see what it was for and how much better it was than EVERYTHING else at that time for modern spin and power based TT.  T64 made it possible for me to use T05 and understand it. 

I tell you that to prepare you for the fact that the transition from something like Sriver -- any version of it I have ever tried -- to something like Tenergy 80 (which is in most respects somewhat midway between 05 and 64) MAY not be something that feels comfortable for awhile.  
anhkhoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anhkhoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 11:55pm
tenergy 05 very spin
tenergy 64 very fast
tenergy 80 balance
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2016 at 4:03am
T64 1.9
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2016 at 11:24am
Short comment on some of the rubbers (mentioned above and others)

Tibhar Evolution - most of the rubbers in this line have accelerated catapult, which to me is a disadvantage because it messes up short game and makes you get accustomed to non-linear behavior not present in most of the other rubbers, so switching between Evo and those rubbers usually takes a lot of time. However, for people who are used to playing with high catapult Euro tensors this is one of the best options. Still kinda pricey, though - isn't it about the same as Tenergy?

Donic Bluefire - to me the main problem there (on top of having more catapult than I wanted) was the weight. Harder versions are very heavy - as soon as I realized that I had to stop trying it.

Xiom Omega Asia - heavy for me but acceptable for most players. Somewhat harder than I would like (harder than Tenergy sponge at 36; probably about 38-39), but again for a lot of attackers players it's what they need. Very good spin and speed, good block, short game average, sensitivity low.

Palio Aeolus - I would also recommend this one as a BH rubber.
Pros: 1 - price (30 dollars). 2 - real German tensor. 3- Not a lot of catapult, good short game. 4 - very decent spin, more so than Blitz; good speed.
Contras: 1 - more sensitive to incoming spin than 80FX. 2 - a bit on the heavier side (too bad they don't make them in 2.0 version). 3 - not readily available on the market, only sold by a handful of good stores and often at markup

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2016 at 12:15pm
Jim T

TT11 sells MX-P for a little more than half the price of Tenergy in the US at the moment.  It is probably the closest thing to Tenergy 05 in existence in terms of the amount of adjustment you need to switch from one to another.  They feel different but somehow play fairly close. 

Any of those modern ESN tensors with thick pored sponges will give you some feeling for what Tenergy might be like if you have never used a modern rubber.  The ones you listed are all pretty reasonable (not all are thick pored) and will feel really different from any Sriver.  (Except I have never tried a Palio rubber).

Personally I like a bit of weight to my blade, so maybe I am not the right person to comment on that, but among the ones on your list I have tried, none seemed markedly different from Tenergy.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Jim T

TT11 sells MX-P for a little more than half the price of Tenergy in the US at the moment.  It is probably the closest thing to Tenergy 05 in existence in terms of the amount of adjustment you need to switch from one to another.  They feel different but somehow play fairly close. 

Any of those modern ESN tensors with thick pored sponges will give you some feeling for what Tenergy might be like if you have never used a modern rubber.  The ones you listed are all pretty reasonable (not all are thick pored) and will feel really different from any Sriver.  (Except I have never tried a Palio rubber).

Personally I like a bit of weight to my blade, so maybe I am not the right person to comment on that, but among the ones on your list I have tried, none seemed markedly different from Tenergy.

1. Price - sorry haven't really checked that since 2014. I guess some of the prices have really come down. That's good.

2. I kinda doubt that statement about Euro tensors and Tenergy. Fast and catapulty Euro tensors always felt to me quite different - they do not block like Tenergy, they do not have that muffled feeling in short game, and usually their catapults are quite different from Tenergy. But then again, I haven't really touched these Euro tensors since 2014.

3. I really cannot (shoulder issues) play with rubbers weighing more than 84-87 g together (cut), so of course it is different for me than for the most players.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 5:27am
2. A lot of T5 users in my area, including myself, switch to MXP when, as at the moment, T5 prices reach absurd levels. I adjust with no effect on the way I play in one session. I really was never able to do that with anything else I had tried earlier. Is it exactly the same? No. And the feel is a bit more direct with MXP. But no question that is a reasonable alternative for a lot of people.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 11:04am
chalk up another for T05 fh/MX-P bh

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic