Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Progress Over Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 10 Votes, Average 4.90  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2017 at 2:46pm
I just wanted to post that video so some people notice his channel. There are so many useful videos.
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2017 at 2:53am
Thanks NL. I actually haven't seen that video before. I love how easily Brett explains and demonstrates everything.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2017 at 9:06am
I've always had problems with long pimples. I think a lot of newer players dislike playing against it because the timing and spin on the ball is completely different.

Here's the first part of a match I played yesterday against a long pimples player. My camera stopped recording, so that's all I got. I play him once every few months. I've always had trouble against him because of his serves, and how the ball just doesn't come at you). I still struggle, but I feel like I'm finally starting to 'get it' a little better.

I actually lost the match, but we played another, and I won that one 3-0, which has never happened before.

Comments welcome.

On an unrelated note, I went to one of the top middle school table tennis clubs in the area yesterday and today to practice with the kids. Man was it a lot of fun. The kids are so good. They practice 2 hours every day Monday to Friday, and 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday. They have so many styles. At the end we were playing single set matches (rotating every few minutes even if the matches weren't finished). Basically every kid had a completely different style. I would face one with long pips on the backhand, then another with short pips on the forehand, then a regular inverted player, then a player with short pips backhand, then one with short pips forehand and long pips backhand. The first player would be a flat hitter, then a chopper, then a looper, etc. It was a great experience. Since the matches were played like an elevator style (winners advance up one table, losers go down), I ended up around the top 8, with like 30 players.

EDIT: I was really surprised I got the first point of the second set! Usually net balls just completely throw me off.

Edited by mickd - 03/26/2017 at 9:09am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2017 at 9:11am
You should play long pips all the time.  That is the best I have ever seen your strokes look especially your forehand.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2017 at 1:29pm
That point in the 2nd game is the one you need to aim for. The impact that feels like you have the ball in your hand and then fling it out.

Simply work on it until you can do it consistently for 11 times.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2017 at 7:52pm
Thanks NL and zeio!

My general thinking was that since the ball never comes at me as much as I think it would, I need to have more forward movement on my forehand stroke against long pips. For my backhand, I need to close the racket angle a lot more, and not be worried the ball will fall into the net (since I always end up hitting it over).

I had a few points with my forehand where it felt like that, Zeio. Really feels good to hit balls like that!
CyberInferno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberInferno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I also celebrate after certain points, but only after certain ones. Also I at least celebrate in my own language. I find it pretty stupid how everyone celebrates in Chinese or some changed version of cho like chu, Chole or tu even though they don't even know what it means.
That was one of the weirdest things for me to observe when I first started watching matches and tournaments. I guess if you grew up watching it and playing with others, that might become part of your habits. But it seems really odd to me to cheer in a different language.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2017 at 12:20pm
A match from a recent tournament I went to. I wish I could play the better players, but it's a team competition, and my team is stuck in the lower divisions.

My opponent is using short pimples on the black side.

I was really surprised that I countered the ball at 2:13, and I was really surprised he returned the ball at 4:06!!

The video is the whole match, minus picking up the ball. Since I won the first two sets quite comfortably, I decided to try a few things I usually wouldn't do in the third and fourth sets. Namely, different serves to practice third ball, backhand against underspin, and sometimes I didn't try and kill the ball like I would have in the first two sets.

Any comments welcome!

P.S. Sorry about the people standing in front of the camera. They only last for a few points.

wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2017 at 12:51pm
I just found this thread. Very intersting. I can almost feel the passion that is share by a lot of table tennis lovers. Keep going, man!
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2017 at 1:49pm
You look better everytime. Your FH seems more solid and consistent. I saw a few good serves and nice rallies. Very good shot at 2:13
I think you should work on your BH and especially your footwork. Better footwork will immediately improve your FH as well.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2017 at 12:43am
Thanks wanchope and balldance.

For the last year or so, I've been working hard on my backhand. I really feel a lot more confident in matches knowing that I can fall back on my backhand more consistently! It's a work in progress though :)

At that last tournament, a chopper backed really far during his match and knocked my camera over... So I won't be able to take anymore videos until it gets fixed :( I'm expecting it to be pretty costly, too. I still have a few raw files that I'm planning to edit and upload in the meantime!
CyberInferno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberInferno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2017 at 1:40am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Thanks wanchope and balldance.

For the last year or so, I've been working hard on my backhand. I really feel a lot more confident in matches knowing that I can fall back on my backhand more consistently! It's a work in progress though :)

At that last tournament, a chopper backed really far during his match and knocked my camera over... So I won't be able to take anymore videos until it gets fixed :( I'm expecting it to be pretty costly, too. I still have a few raw files that I'm planning to edit and upload in the meantime!

Oh no!

One solution in the meantime is to consider a tripod mount for your phone like this. Videos obviously won't be as good, but it's a relatively inexpensive alternative.
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2017 at 5:17pm
Very nice progress overall. The counter loop at 2:13 was amazing. Played like a pro!

Work on your BH & footwork in practice and try to get your BH engaged in your offense. At this stage, if your opponent keeps pushing the ball to your BH (He was clearly doing that in the video), try to step aside and use your FH to attack. 
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2017 at 10:37pm
The forehand technique is just better with a straighter arm in the backswing.   The backhand is solid as well. Could probably use a bit more whip and power but still a quality shot. I would focus on your serve and serve return a little.
Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2017 at 1:32am
I think your FH is progressing extremely well, especially with spin and consistency. I think your BH looks fine, it's just that you need a lot more confidence in it and not do a shot "gingerly". Just go for it with conviction in matches, if you make mistakes and lose, it's really not the end of the world. Another thing with your BH is that you should aim to generate as much spin (by brushing the ball hard) as possible from your stroke so that your stroke consistency can go up (due to the heavy topspin being generated), so don't hold back on your stroke! The more gingerly you approach your stroke, the less spin you generate and the more mistakes you will make. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2017 at 1:50am
Thank everyone for the words of encouragement and advice! I'll definitely continue to work on my backhand. Since I started working on it a year ago, I've managed to close my racket angle a lot more, relax my arm a lot more, and use my wrist more. I'll keep working on it, especially to gain confidence in being more aggressive with it.

I'm also more consistent at blocking, especially when transitioning from a forehand into a backhand at medium distance (for whatever reason, say, lack of footwork). I used to always stretch my arm too far forward and have the ball fall into the net at those times.

I'm not sure if I've fixed this, but I used to sidestep parallel to the end of the table when transitioning to my backhand, but I've been trying hard to sidestep in a slightly circular motion.

Serve receive (especially receive) is still a work in progress... I have some "better" serves, too. But recently I've been using more "simple" serves because it gives me an easier time with the third ball. Against slightly better opponents, those serves don't work very well, though.

The reverse pendulum serve at 1:27 (side-top), followed by another one (side-under) right after are usually quite effective. Still a little high over the net, maybe. Also, my short backhand serves (side-top and side-under) are usually effective at limiting slightly better players). Backhand serves are very safe for me. 

Serves I find effective against right handers (excluding players way above my playing level) are short/semi-long side spin serves to the far forehand corner that spin away from the table, long heavy side-under (mostly under) spin serves into their middle/slight forehand (forces them to loop instead of drive, or push), and no spin/slight underspin fast long serves to their backhand. Depending on where they stand in their ready position, i might have to change it, though.

Edited by mickd - 04/10/2017 at 1:52am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2017 at 6:55am
Serve receive is forever a work in progress.   When I look at serves in particular, I am looking at specific things since I worked with TTEdge on mine. Serving is something is well worth taking lessons from a very good server on. Sometimes you learn a lot just by asking good nice players to show you things so that the hours of practice you are clearly putting in don't go to waste.
Cybershape Carbon
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2017 at 9:14pm
nice progress. you need to practice more stepping in when the ball falls a bit short or you want to loop the ball above the table.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2017 at 9:39pm
I can't believe it has already been 8 months since I made this thread! I feel like I've improved a lot over that period. I think my consistency has definitely gone up. I feel like I'm a lot more aggressive off serve now. I notice my consistency has gone up because against players who are lower level than me, I can usually win with a much more comfortable lead. For example, a player that I may have won 11-7 or so before, I can generally win 11-4 or so now.

As for players who were better than me back then, well, that is still a work in progress! I think I need to start practicing with more people above my level to really start playing at the next level. I rarely play with people better than me (even with so many people much better than me).

This year my goal has been to develop a backhand. Right now I'm starting to feel comfortable with attacking no spin/top spin balls in training more aggressively, but I still need to develop an opening against underspin. To compensate, I've been practicing a lot more stepping around the table and utilizing serves which come back towards my forehand.

Here are some of the matches from a small local tournament recently. It was more of a fun and relaxing atmosphere than a serious one. The matches I struggled with I'm going to make a different thread to hopefully get some help with.

EDIT: Sorry, I accidentally cut the 3rd point short in the first video. Also, someone stood in front of my camera towards the end of the 2nd video, so I had to cut it short. I won the first set easily, so I was practicing my backhand a little, but I kept missing, so the score was actually 3-8. I went back to being aggressive and won the set.

Edited by mickd - 07/05/2017 at 9:42pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2017 at 9:56pm
I like these gyms very much. I used to play in high school gyms or youth club (seinen-no-ie) gyms in Nagoya area.
I can´t forget first time I played in a place like that, I did not carry proper shoes and entered the court with same shoes I was using, something not polite at all.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2017 at 12:10am
Haha, yeah. The gyms are great. The city usually keeps them maintained by rewaxing them twice or so a year. In general, most gyms are quite grippy and very easy to play table tennis on. I love how most gyms in Japan have table tennis during some point of the week. That includes the school gyms, too.
gts072 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gts072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2017 at 3:51pm
You look great mickd. Seems like your first opponent and maybe at times the second one too were serving illegally.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 2:13am
Hey mickd, I think you're really improving heaps! Those were some excellent controlled play... One suggestion I would have is to hit the gym and do strength training soon, strengthen your body so that you can avoid injuries and extend your playing life... And always try to maintain a relaxed approach to play and use only 70-80% power at most!

You can always start slow and do something like once a week first :)
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 9:08pm
Thanks gts072. Nearly everyone serves illegally here in some way. Most are older players who have been playing long before the current service rules were put into place, so it's more of a habitual thing for them.

I used to get really frustrated by it, and I found that what caused me to lose a lot of those games wasn't really the illegal serves, but my mental state overthinking the legality of the serves.

Now I've come to accept them :) These aren't very serious tournaments, and most are just there to be social and have some fun while playing table tennis!

Thanks blahness. Yeah, I really want to hit the gym, but it's so hard to stay motivated to do so. I really need to find someone to go with, so I'll we'll both have someone to make sure none of us slack off.

My right ankle has had some very minor pain if i twist it around a certain way. Not enough for me to notice or affect me playing table tennis in anyway, but it's something I need to be careful about... Same with my left wrist.

Edited by mickd - 07/09/2017 at 9:29pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 10:14pm
MyTT forum member Bogeyhunter convinced me to accept that dealing with illegal serves in a club match or tourney is the opponent giving you free training. I used to get SO hyper upset at that stuff, but he showed me the right perspective in that area.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

MyTT forum member Bogeyhunter convinced me to accept that dealing with illegal serves in a club match or tourney is the opponent giving you free training. I used to get SO hyper upset at that stuff, but he showed me the right perspective in that area.

I saw a lot of players, specially casual players, got offended and stop playing.  One time I saw 2 players, player A complain about player B's serves, after the match completed, player B left.  Player A has no one else to play, so he sit around for another 1/2 hours, and left as well.  Both players evenings were ruined, which was pity, as they both played at roughly the same level, and could have had lots of fun.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 5:01pm
I can lose a match to illegal serves and complain after. Both hiding and extremely low tosses affect me as a serve is easy to keep low with sidespin that looks like backspin when you don't toss the ball up. Over time, I have gotten good enough to play through it and I have convinced myself that no one's serves are legal under the new rules, including Timo Boll and Samsonov, and of course myself. You have to just play through it.
Cybershape Carbon
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 6:17pm
When I played tennis back in the '80s, one dude's serve was so illegal he actually started it from inside the baseline.  Needless to say, this gave him a considerable advantage in rushing the net.  

It did not take long for me and a tennis buddy to solve this problem.  When playing this guy, we started our serves from inside the service line.  It took a while but eventually he got the point

There may be a carryover here to table tennis.  Start your serve from 3 or 4 feet inside the baseline of the table, hide it with the most convenient body part, and fire at will.  

You probably won't get many people to play you, since many more than a few serve illegally, but at least you'll have stood up for what's honorable, as opposed to what's a sharp practice as well as, well you know.  

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 9:32am
It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread!!

What a roller coaster 2017 was. I visited and played in China for a week early in the year and was extremely depressed when I came back to rural Japan. I was on the verge of quitting at various points, but I kept on going.

I beat some people for the first time, people who were teaching and giving me advice less than 2 years ago. I also took sets off some of the better players at my local club.

I've started developing a backhand. While far from anything noteworthy, it has helped upped my game a lot. I'm also more confident in flicking short pushes if they look a little high without too much spin.

When I visited my family in Australia and played at one of the local clubs, many people came up to me to ask me to play with them. This was the complete opposite of the last time I went. Even the best few players there who usually just play among themselves (from what I saw) let me play with them. A lot of them complemented my form and even thought I'd received coaching.

I still have a lot to work on. I'm getting close to beating most of the "medium" level players at my main club.

It's actually really exciting thinking about how I'll be a year from now. I feel like I'm EXTREMELY far from my potential.

There are also quite a few cocky players I have to beat haha. Though it's going to take a few more years maybe...

Here's a random video of me doing forehands at practice recently. I've been working so much more on my backhand recently, it felt really nice just to continuously drive forehands.

I've also been testing out twiddling my racket for smashes. Whenever someone lobs for me, they always return my balls so easily. They always tell me I need to use more power, but the more power I try to add, the more likely I was to miss. After twiddling to my backhand rubber, nearly all my smashes went past my opponent. Here are some highlights of a friendly match I had recently (with the twiddling)!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND anyone who is using a Chinese tacky rubber to try twiddling for smashes sometimes!!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 9:35am
When you smash with harder sponge or with a Chinese tacky rubber, you are better off topspin smashing or hooking and fading the ball in some way than flat smashing harder.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic