Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BH-Man Nexy RUBICON First Look

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BH-Man Nexy RUBICON First Look
    Posted: 11/22/2016 at 5:30pm
I got a Nexy RUBICON in my shipment yesterday, so off I went to the club to try it out.

I got the ST handle and I also got a Cat Pic tossed in for a bonus.

I broke out a new sheet of Nexy Karis M+ and a new sheet of MX-P. I used Karis M+ for FH. I used the Nexy Water Glue with a large sponge. Nexy Water glue is really runny, but it isn't weak, I was surprised how easy it was to make the glue go on even.

Serves with Karis were same as my normal, could vary between heavy and no spin. The touch is no easier or difficult than MX-P.

I suck rocks at FH to FH high speed no spin, so don't ask me how it performs there.

Slow extra heavy opening topspin vs an underspin ball are there, just like My Kim Jung Hoon and Calix II.

Overall, it is good to mention the feel is like a cross between a Calix II and a KJH, somewhere in the middle for how it fits in hand and how it feels at impact. Feeling on well struck balls feels geared down a bit compared to both on the FH wing. Vibration is not over-excessive, but is there. 

Medium spin medium to fast medium speed looping is what this blade excels at. It is a machine there. Feel at impact is control. 

Powerloop finishes have enough power and all the spin you want, but the top gear is in the low part of the OFF zone.  BH hard drives with the ST handle were off the chain fast on full explosive shots.

Serve receive was nice with the lower low gear it has, ball doesn't fly off the bat on a touch shot.

Overall, it wanted me to try a FL version to see how the shaved off wing design works on that model. I played a match to the same standard vs a familiar opponent right away with little stroke adjustment.

I really like the dual impact feature of blades, Nexy uses this more than others and in more of their blades.

The BH was simply a beast using Rubicon ST, but it could be the advantages of the ST handle and the design of the wing shaved off some to allow more BH wrist. I want to see what I do with the FH version. I could compete right now using this setup if I had to, but for Kim Jung Hoon has had a death grip on my preferences. 

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2016 at 5:32pm
As shown in the pic, this ST model was 82 grams.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2016 at 5:33pm
Dude, is this an all-wood blade or composite?
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
BB-Big View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB-Big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2016 at 7:41pm
Headsize please?
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2016 at 11:26pm
I surprised evertime Nexy came up with new surface material. > <

I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2016 at 11:54pm
Here is the company pic...

They are lower on the lower part of tak9.com website Rubicon page.

Looks like 7 ply all wood.

http://www.tak9.com/shop/goods/goods_view.php?goodsno=6437&category=001001

Edited by BH-Man - 11/22/2016 at 11:55pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2016 at 11:58pm
Head size on website says 155 x 148... I don't have a tool to properly measure.

5.9 mm thick.

Edited by BH-Man - 11/22/2016 at 11:59pm
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2016 at 3:38am
BH-Man, can you please make a comparison of the Rubicon to our beloved Kim Jung Hoon blade. 
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2016 at 2:44am
In most strokes, Rubicon has the same gears and speeds as the KJH on most stroke situations, with a different feel, which is closer to the Calix II feel. That is the easiest summary to say. BH with MX-P on the ST handle is a little more crisp and top gear higher.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2016 at 2:49am
Having said that, I got a replacement KJH 10 days ago and began to use that and KARIS + on FH, even a change so close to a major tourney I performed well and it is obviously difficult for me to give up KJH as my main blade. When KJH was broken (I am hell on blades) I successfully used Calix II, Hanibal, Kanaph, and Qabod. With the same rubbers I had been using, I could perform as I am used to them and can also deal with any of the blades well.

I am certain I could also perform same level using the Rubicon with Karis and MX-P. I am now becoming more aware of how I play with a ST or FL handle and what advantages each have.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2016 at 5:18pm
I had a chance to hit with BH-Man's Rubicon for about 20 minutes during the NA Team tournament last week.

I realize that 20 minutes isn't enough to develop an opinion, but I thought I'd share my initial impression ... which is that Rubicon felt like a very well balanced, multi-purpose, easy to use, medium fast all wood blade, with very nice manners in all shots I tried (loop, drive, block, counter loop) that felt more like a five ply than a 7 play blade.

Interestingly, BH-Man compares Rubicon to KJH (which he uses) and Calix II, which I've been using for some time.  To me, Rubicon didn't feel very similar to Calix II (which is a thin carbon blade).  However, the differences in our opinions could be meaningfully affected by the fact that I use different rubbers and different handle shape.

The main difference for me was as if the ball appears to dip deeper into the blade surface with Rubicon which results with somewhat softer and more pronounced ball feel than with Calix II. 

Edited by VictorK - 11/28/2016 at 6:17pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2016 at 10:08am
I have been using the Rubicon ST Handle with Karis M and MX-P as I have let a friend tryout my Kim Jung Hoon...

I am so impressed how I can handle incoming topspin and stay in rallies. My opening topspin with Karis M is still heavy, there is less top end power compared to the MX-P, but I find myself staying in more points, making more shots, and winning a few more points.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic