Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

999t review -Awesome $5 rubber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 5:40am
Originally posted by el luchador el luchador wrote:

Originally posted by manraid manraid wrote:

can anyone compare this rubber to hurricane 3 neo or hurricane 8 as regard durability ,speed ,spin ,throw angle ,...etc?

a friend of mine had h3 on a tg7 al, same blade as i use, and we tested it out. it is very similar to h3 but h3 is a little bit more lively.

h3 I think is a little faster and per my buddy counterloops better, but at my level they were very similar.

how about its durability ?
MJ SZLC ST

FH Hurricane 8 2.15m Black
BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 12:50pm
Very, very, very durable.As all 999 rubbers(including Juic)
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
el luchador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Very, very, very durable.As all 999 rubbers(including Juic)

agree. Ive been using mine 4 days a week up to three hours at a time and its still in good condition.

it has lost a little of its slowness that made it great for pushing but it gained a little speed that made it better for attack. still overall a very controllable rubber.
Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 5:39pm
 i wonder if this rubber is placed on my blade (mj szlc) did the overall speed of the combo will be decreased alot compared to h8 or h3n on my blade (which i tried and its speed is very good not as the speed of euro rubbers but acceptable and satisfied me) as i noticed that someone mentioned in this post that this rubber is recommended to be placed on a fast blade .

sorry for my bad language .

Edited by manraid - 01/05/2017 at 5:40pm
MJ SZLC ST

BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 7:40pm
Yes , the speed will decrease, but maybe this is not that bad after all
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2017 at 1:12am
my buddy who uses h3 on the same blade compares the 999t to h3.

As i used both to block i will say it was harder to block the h3 shots as they came with more spin and speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2017 at 5:11pm
game play. best sequence from 2:20 -2:40

Im the big guy(ok we are both big guys so Im the one wearing pants lol)

match against a player rated 300+ pts higher than me. when i was using bouncy rubbers, I had ZERO chance against him. In this game he doesnt look like an attacker but thats because i tried to keep the ball out of his power zones. Without the tacky rubber control he would be wailing on the ball every single chance and putting me away easy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 3:27pm
Still playing with this training rubber. I noticed when playing with better players like 1700+ it feels kinda slow so I decided to try to boost it. 

Well I couldnt find the bottle of paraffin oil I had bought some time back so I just put about 4 layers of wd40 on it. wow. the doming is dramatic. Red domes more than black. I will play with it tonight and report back on how it plays boosted

Edited by el luchador - 01/19/2017 at 3:28pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 10:35am
boosting report:

the wd40 really curled up this rubber

It wouldn't even stay on the blade I had to put it in a press

the good:
the wd40 restored the original "deadness" of the rubber. Ie when you bounce a ball on the rubber it comes to rest after 2 bounces.

It added a top end gear of speed. I didn't feel like the ball was in slow motion when I hit it. with a full swing the spin and speed surprised both myself and my competition.

The bad:

the rubber would not stay on the blade. by the 4th match, both sides were separating from the blade and I had to stop playing with it. I think I needed to let it dry some more. so note to self- 3 hours after boosting with 5 layers is not enough dry time for the rubber to stay on the blade.
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 7:04pm
can u tell me your opinion about its durability till now ? did its tackiness lasts for long time?
MJ SZLC ST

BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 10:10pm
The above question was not directed at me so please excuse me for butting in... Smile

My limited experience with it and noting that durability based on time is all relative to how you are using it.  (Playing 2 hrs of matches and 2 hrs of multiball will wear out the rubber at different rates)

educated estimates for about 4 weeks of use:

12hrs of multiball / ball machine / fast counter hitting or looping training

7hrs of match play or game type training exercises

5hrs serve practice

So far the rubber is holding up great.  Does not feel dead, no flaking on the edges.  Tackiness is the same.  On a clean rubber and a clean (used) ball it can hold up the ball for 2 seconds or longer.  In some cases it is holding a ball up for over 5 seconds.  (slight hand shake could account for the differences)

Also I don't think there is a large "breaking in" period.  I didn't feel a big difference after 1 hr of play.  Plays very consistently as there is no catapult at all.  (which is a good or bad thing depending on who you are or what shot you are playing)

I'm thinking I might put on a new sheet at the 8 week mark unless it starts to go downhill before that.

(i did not boost)

Putting in a new order now.  But I'm wondering if anyone has used the 999t-1 (loop type) or 999t-2 (speed type) which has different sponge thicknesses?   

(a google search came up with only stuff on 999t or globe 999t or 999t rubber on Cole's lemon sponge)

I'm actually using 999t on both sides and surprisingly love it on my BH but wouldn't mind going down to a 2.0mm sponge or perhaps a touch of extra speed for the BH.  They are so cheap I will probably buy a sheet of each to try out.

PS. thanks to el luchador for posting this topic initially. 
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 5:36am

game play. best sequence from 2:20 -2:40

nice that you found a good and cheap rubber for you :)

if i may tell you:
instead of working a lot on your strokes, you should work on your footwork, it's basically non-existing. most shots you miss in that clip are not because of what your hand is doing, it's just that you are not standing where it's easy to make that stroke.

try out the famous falkenberg drill for example or for multiball, try to move when getting the balls on your elbow. you will improve much faster than focussing on your strokes so much.

edit: bend your knees, stay lower, stand on your forefoot, not on your entire sole. stand more on the backhand side when receiving. as a lefthander, put your left foot front when pushing. you can also flick/loop much easier when you are standing low.

Edited by Fabian1890 - 02/08/2017 at 2:39pm
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 8:17am
Originally posted by DarkerMyLove DarkerMyLove wrote:

Also I don't think there is a large "breaking in" period.  I didn't feel a big difference after 1 hr of play.  Plays very consistently as there is no catapult at all.  (which is a good or bad thing depending on who you are or what shot you are playing)

what do you mean that the rubber has no catapult at all do you mean it is a demanding rubber  and needs alot of footwork or what ?

Edited by manraid - 02/08/2017 at 8:18am
MJ SZLC ST

BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 10:32am
I should preface all this by saying I work with a coach and also with a machine on my own so my footwork is probably above average, but I would say that H3 Neo is much more demanding than 999T.

This is a very linear rubber-- so there is no "bounciness' to it or feeling like you need to hold back power.  In fact I feel like this rubber really wants you to push as much power into it like a lot of china/tacky rubbers BUT it doesn't punish you for having your bat angle off just a little.  

In the short game/serving it really shines as well as looping underspin.  Passive blocks will be slow so placement is key.  But active blocks is great because you are not worried about the ball jumping off your rubber.  You can confidently make a full active block.  

Looping (brushing and driving) is why I think I'm going to say with 999T long term.  Most tacky chinese rubbers will be good with the short game and service, but for me I felt looping with H3 NEO or Skyline TG2 NEO I had to be really precise.  I really need to take care of the bat angle and timing (ie footwork & hip rotation).  My time with DHS really forced me to be better with footwork and brushing but it was just too unstable/demanding for me... so I went back to Euro/jap rubber...until I saw this thread and gave 999t a try.  And looping with it is very stable and consistent.  I'm not overly concerned about racket angle and of course you can spin for days......

999t is less demanding because of the slowness.  Slow rubbers have positives and negatives.  What you will do is keep the ball on the table and have real confidence to just make the stroke you want and put the ball where you want. BUT.... at the upper levels your opponents will have the skills (footwork/anticipation/reflexes) to get the ball back in many cases, but as long as you keep them in a defensive position, utilize the spin potential especially with serve receive, and move them around you can have success.

If you are using H8 this is going to be a slower for sure...whether or not that is a good thing for you is hard to say.   For me going slower has been huge and a real eye opener at what is possible not only in seeing the ball stay on the table (and winning more matches) but also in terms of game tempo and strategy.

EDITED:  MAY 3RD 2017

Played with 999T on both sides for about 3 months and on the BH eventually moved back to Japanese rubber that was slightly softer.  Then 2.5 months later I've gone back to Japanese rubber on the FH has well.

The big problem with the rubber is passive blocking and also during very quick exchanges where you might be slightly out of position.  The slowness and hardness of the rubber makes it a bit unforgiving in these two situations.  

After changing back to Japanese rubbers I played much more consistently during game play. So the positives of the short game and spin did not outweigh the flaws when playing games.

I work with a coach twice a week so obviously I have been improving but you could consider 999T a potential 'stroke' improvement rubber.  It really forces you to have extremely good form and full strokes on Every stroke.  In reality, a mere mortal like me cannot attain that level of consistency.  I need a rubber that is slightly more forgiving because in game play you will not always be in the correct position and be able to make an active block.

(never tried boosting it)

Edited by DarkerMyLove - 05/02/2017 at 10:39pm
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 2:40pm
Sorry, it was not clear to who I was talking to in my post, edited it and made it more clear. :)
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 9:37pm
as regards its weight and hardness is it heavier and harder than h8?

also can anyone compare its tackiness to h8?

Edited by manraid - 02/08/2017 at 9:44pm
MJ SZLC ST

BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 5:47am
Originally posted by manraid manraid wrote:

as regards its weight and hardness is it heavier and harder than h8?

also can anyone compare its tackiness to h8?
I have not used H8 but 999T is definitely tackier than H3NEO, H2NEO, and TG3NEO. I have not used 999T as much so the tackiness may fade a little bit, but it would probably still be around or above the tackiness of said rubbers
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 8:40pm
Is there any way to check how much shipping cost from Eacheng to my place?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 9:00pm
You would have to register with the website and then put something (rubber/blade) in your 'shopping cart' and then put in your address.  Once you put in your address it will show the shipping cost for those items.

I live in Taiwan and strangely I couldn't do the order via the website.  I emailed [email protected] and they were very helpful.  Just placed a new order with them yesterday.  But they usually take at least 3 business days to ship out.  To taiwan via a shipping forwarder SF Express it took another 3 business days to arrive.

Try to email them and they might be able to give an estimate for japan.  But I assume it is only an estimate since many stores base costs on weight.
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by DarkerMyLove DarkerMyLove wrote:

You would have to register with the website and then put something (rubber/blade) in your 'shopping cart' and then put in your address.  Once you put in your address it will show the shipping cost for those items.

I live in Taiwan and strangely I couldn't do the order via the website.  I emailed [email protected] and they were very helpful.  Just placed a new order with them yesterday.  But they usually take at least 3 business days to ship out.  To taiwan via a shipping forwarder SF Express it took another 3 business days to arrive.

Try to email them and they might be able to give an estimate for japan.  But I assume it is only an estimate since many stores base costs on weight.

Thanks for the reply.
Ok i will register first and see.
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 6:48am
how about playing with this rubber in a humid weather ? did it deteriorate aggressively ?
MJ SZLC ST

BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 5:01pm
Manraid, somewhere, I am almost certain it was at OOAK forum, I saw a thread where several two people commented that 999t is one of the all-time best rubbers for playing in humid weather. The thread was started by a member there who goes by the name of hangdog. 

I remember it because it was in response to a comment I made about Nexy Karis M being the best rubber I had ever used in humid conditions, something I deal with a lot here in Houston on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.   I've never used that rubber myself, but will try to find the thread.
------

Here it the thread:  http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30932

One of the guys who mentioned this feature of 999t lives in Malaysia where that is probably a big issue.  You might want to contact BH-Man about this feature of 999t.
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 7:27am
So I bought a bunch of the Globe 999T and 999 branded Super 999T and a National version 999 from eacheng after encountering this thread in a quest to find the cheapest decent spinny rubbers I could find. Here is my conclusion: The topsheet and quality seem consistent but they are hard and dead feeling as some others have mentioned. They work decently on the forehand but definitely a no go on the backhand as the ball just dies when I try to block or flip with it. With the forehand I can compensate by having a long higher stroke but I can't do that with the backhand. The national version is surprising not tacky at all and works even better on my forehand as the sponge is a bit softer and it feels very controllable. It feels like a slightly slower but a spinnier Mark V. All these Chinese 999s are slower and less spinny than a Hurricane 3 NEO in my opinion and it is hard to generate enough speed and spin in loops to overpower some of my regular playing partners especially when I'm a 45+ overweight guy with limits I did not have when I was younger. I just get blocked down to death unless I can place it where they can't reach it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 11:43pm
That's too bad it did not work out.  Good to hear your feedback though.  Are you using all-wood blade or a composite?

WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2017 at 12:34am
I'm using the Sword Blue Feather composite blade that is supposed to be a BTY ALC blade workalike. To clarify what I mean with I can't use it on my backhand, it is almost impossible to do close to the table wristy backhand loops/flip of underspin returns as there is just not enough pop from the sponge. Even with a worn Evolution MXP, my backhand opening loops against underspin is a weapon, with the 999 it's an absolute dud.

Edited by WingTT - 02/22/2017 at 3:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2017 at 3:33am
bummer it didn't work out.  I would think that blade if the same speed as Viscaria might be ok.  (I never tried the other Globe 999 versions that you did)  Hopefully it didn't break the bank for you...lol

Definitely the big 'buyer beware' on the SUPER 999T speed is that it is SLOW. 

It's slow (slower than H3 neo for sure) but I think with the plastic ball the Mark V still is slower...but I don't have any scientific evidence : )      I have only hit with my co-worker's mark V which is on a Viscaria for his BH so maybe apples to oranges but I think the 999T is slightly faster.  I'm using Darker 7ply hinoki-carbon and just got BBC Nine. 

But I'm not an EJ'er so maybe it is a dead sponge...but I have no problem with the feeling.  It's just a hard "linear" rubber.  You're not gonna get any "help" or bounce from this rubber. 

I have the benefit of coaching and 5-7hr of training per week (i'm getting close to 40yo though) but looping backspin on the BH or flicks is not a problem for me. But you need a strong full stroke for sure....which I guess also means you need good footwork.  Maybe I have a few more good years left where my movement is still decent...haha

Having said that, even my coach who is probably in the 2250-2300 range and uses DHS rubbers, feels that probably I would be better off with something a bit softer on the BH.  Definitely not a BH rubber, but I'm still using it on both sides.

Obviously if you are in the 1800-1950+ range I would not recommend changing equipment unless you are already using very slow equipment.

Also if you are coming from tensors or any boosted rubber situation the 999T is not going to help you out unless you are losing matches because you cannot control your ball.  Also if you have not spent more than 6 months with a tacky rubber you will need at least 4-8 weeks of play to adapt.

And definitely you will need to use it on 'relatively' fast blade.   Viscaria speed blade or higher. Otherwise it will be too slow.  Also I tried it on my Barwell Fleet and it didn't work too well.  The Barwell Fleet seems to have a low throw and I just couldn't comfortable with it.  The Hinoki wood of my Darker and BBC Nine has a much higher throw and pairs well with the 999T
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 2:21pm
i tried the super 999 t on my friend's blade (yinhe y-13) which he put the rubber both on fh and bh

and i compared it to our third friend who has both h3 neo on his blade (yinhe y-13 also)

i concluded that :
1- super 999t is a bit faster than h3 neo and h8 on yinhe y-13 (this information was confirmed by fourth friend that was playing with h3n,h8 on his viscaria and confirmed that super 999t was noticebly abit faster than h3n and h8

2- it creates  a very massive and huge spin and pushing with was a great pleasure more than h3n and h8

3- it has the best control i've ever seen it's control was alot alot better than h3n and h8

4- alot more forgiving than h8 and h3n(999t more forgiving than h3n and h3n more forgiving than h8 )

5- it has more tackiness than h3n and h8 when new ( i lift the ball upward and recieve it on the blade with no bounce at all unlike h3n and h8 which bounce twice before stick to the rubber

i bought a sheet and i'll remove my fh h8 2.15 mm rubber and i 'll glue it to my blade soon

Edited by manraid - 03/08/2017 at 2:21pm
MJ SZLC ST

BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 4:23pm
Thanks for the review.

I threw away my hurricane 2 because it was slow and flat AMD ordered 4 sheets of h3 .

Well the h3 came and I was shocked how close it plays to the 999t.ie slow and no catapult. Good for pushing and blocking but no attack unless you are going all out.

Wtf? My buddy has the same exact blade with h3 and his combo is an attacking monster. Well it turns out he uses the national version and it comes preboosted. He played with my racket and laughed at how dead it was and said in gonna have to boost the heck out of it to get it to be faster and have more spin. So I'm gonna say unboosted h3 and super 999t play very similar but 999t has a bit more short game control
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 5:00pm

Thanks for the review.

I threw away my hurricane 2 because it was slow and flat AMD ordered 4 sheets of h3 .

Well the h3 came and I was shocked how close it plays to the 999t.ie slow and no catapult. Good for pushing and blocking but no attack unless you are going all out.

Wtf? My buddy has the same exact blade with h3 and his combo is an attacking monster. Well it turns out he uses the national version and it comes preboosted. He played with my racket and laughed at how dead it was and said in gonna have to boost the heck out of it to get it to be faster and have more spin. So I'm gonna say unboosted h3 and super 999t play very similar but 999t has a bit more short game control

Boost it or play with it for a few weeks until the tackiness fades away a bit and the sponge is not that rock hard.
Fly away!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 5:54pm
Im gonna boost the heck out of it. someone needs to invent a rubber peening mallet for table tennis rubber break-in

most recently Ive been playing with Sanwei t88-ii on my forehand which is basically a $10 tenergy and coming back to the dead sponge is like a rude awakening. It takes some getting used to.

anyhow, the h3 is stewing in boost right now. Im going to do about 10 layers, wrap it in a trash bag for two days, and then try it out.

I'll report back if it plays better boosted 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic