Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy Karis M and M+ reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Reaper Reaper wrote:

PS:  anybody got the yinhe S40+ ball?

Yes, I bought 144 from colestt. It's a great ball, Plays well and never breaks unless stepped on.
Sponsored Links

Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Did you hit the edge of the table or something?

Don't think so, i suspect it ripped when i changed the side tape

Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Yes, I bought 144 from colestt. It's a great ball, Plays well and never breaks unless stepped on.

2 of mine broke too soon... maybe i got bad batchConfused
Neottec Magic Control -CN : Nexy Karis M / 61second Kangaroo
Revoldia clone -ST: Hurricane 9 green / 61second Eagle
Donier Defensive -ST: Sword Long Can / 61second Eagle

Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2017 at 10:56am

I have been using Karis M 2.0mm for about 3 weeks and can give a few observations and in particular some comparisons to Joola Samba 19, another Rubber made by Daiki that I have been using on my backhand for about a year.

The sponge on the Karis looks identical to the Samba 19, the exact same colour and small pores. Interestingly the 2.0mm Karis M is the same thickness as the Joola 19 in Max, despite the short pips, meaning the sponge is actually thicker. Comparing the 2.0mm Karis M to a sheet of 2.0 Samba 19 I have on a different blade, the Karis is visibly thicker.

Pushing down on the rubbers, the Karis feels slightly harder, but there is not a huge difference.

This is also true when playing, although they play in a very similar manner in the short game and for low to medium power shots, the Karis does feel slightly harder.

As expected when playing harder drives and loops, the Karis seems to be more linear. The Joola seems to have a bit more catapult. I have heard a few people say the Samba 19 is unpredictable when hitting the ball harder, I haven't personally found this to be an issue, but I can see why the Karis M could be thought of as more predictable.

I currently prefer the Samba 19 for blocking, as the slightly softer sponge seems to work a bit better for me. However I have been using this rubber for the best part of a year, so am really familiar with it, I suspect given a bit more time I would also find the Karis great for blocking.

The one area I struggled with the Karis was chopping. I had to adjust my technique a lot. If I hit the ball in the same manner as with the Samba 19, it popped up quite high, it was in some ways similar to chopping with short pips. I suspect the very short inverted pips are the reason. If it wasn't for this I could change between the two rubbers without really having to make any adjustments.

I think overall I prefer the Karis as a forehand rubber. As it is slightly harder and the bigger forehand strokes seem to work better with it, but I think I will stick with Samba 19, or possibly try another soft Daiki made rubber, for my backhand. 

ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2017 at 11:43pm
Detailed review after 4 weeks of usage.

Current equipment: 
Double Day Yaliant ZLC/ALC (ZLC on FH, ZLC on BH) + H3N + T64
Jun Mizutani ZLC + H3N + T64

Player Info: No official rating, probably around ~2200

Rubbers: I won 2 NEXY Rubbers in the giveaway. I ordered 2 Karis M rubbers.

Weight: There was a variation in weight of the rubbers. 1 rubber weighed 63 g uncut and the other weighed 68g uncut. Cut to the blades, the rubbers weighed 47g and 50g respectively. Both of these are high numbers and I was expecting something lighter.

Review:
These rubbers are quite slow and have a medium throw. If I were to say that T64 is 9/10 in terms of speed, these would be 7.5/10 or may be 8/10 at most.
The usable range of these rubbers is at the table and up to 3 ft behind the table. Beyond that distance, they are not very dangerous at the level at which I play and my opponents can easily counter topspin or take the ball early.
What is good about these rubbers is the very predictable arc and linearity of these rubbers. Having played with T64 for 2 years now, I also find T64 very predictable so this is not much to write about.
The surface grip is average and a bit lower than the latest ESN rubbers and T64.

The surface grip did not drop much after a month of use...but it was also not very high to start with. 

Who will like the Karis M:
All round players who tend to block more than they attack.
Defenders.

Who will not like the Karis M:
All out attackers and people who like to take the initiative early in the point by opening up.

My opinion:
At this price point, these rubbers need to stand out from the crowd of rubbers which both cost less and are more easily available at online stores.
For players looking for linear rubbers in a medium-soft sponge, the Victas V15 Limber is a better option. It costs less and is a whooping 7 grams lighter cut to the JM ZLC blade.
The biggest drawbacks in my opinion are the price to performance and the weight to performance ratio.

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 03/29/2017 at 11:51pm
Schlager72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2017 at 5:07am
@ Ashish, I'm very interested to know If you experience any pin point ball placement characteristics as noted by other experienced reviewers?

Edited by Schlager72 - 03/31/2017 at 5:07am
M.Maze
FH H3 Neo (prov)
BH MX-P
nexy.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nexy.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2017 at 5:50am
We are going to release KARIS H soon!

Let's see the test video clip.

https://youtu.be/B-v_5KEwACg
Everything you need for tabletennis: nexyttstore.com
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2017 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Schlager72 Schlager72 wrote:

@ Ashish, I'm very interested to know If you experience any pin point ball placement characteristics as noted by other experienced reviewers?

To be frank I have been using the same equipment for 2 years now and do not have any issues even with T64.
Karis M has a shorter trajectory and is slower...this makes.it easier.to hit angles. ...but so does.any short trajectory slow rubber like T05FX and Barracuda Bigslam.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by nexy.com nexy.com wrote:

Would you be willing to tell us how it is different from Karis M?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2017 at 3:17am
Baal, I asked the international manager through a popular Korean text app to explain, let's see how it shapes up. H sounds like hard. M is between FX and EL and M+ is kinda between EL and MX in Tibhar speak by my feeling at impact. H could be a true MX level hard for heavy hitters, who knows? I am with you in wishing Nexy could at least make a paragraph description, even if it is a teaser. My prototype M+ on lissom feel pretty darned top end fast, easily faster than my M on Kim Jung Hoon Blade, which is a level or two faster blade.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2017 at 3:34am
I took a quick look at the vid and the interview and hit session with their sponsored payer shows he really likes Karis H on FH as the ball "really moves out well" he stressed the direct feel and safety/control over and over. 

My take from the vid is that Karis H is a harder/faster version of Karis retaining the principle properties of keeping it on the table with linear performance. (Getting only what you put into it)

I am also eager to see what Nexy Korea says about it. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2017 at 10:34am
I was guessing that.  I generally prefer hsrder rubbers but for me M+ was not a success. It just didn't feel right and to be honest, was not really faster than M.  I may try a sheet of H.  When I first started playing with Karis M I liked it immediately but for awhile was thinking I would prefer something with the same predictability but somewhat faster.  But after a few months I just don't care anymore.  My technique has apparently adapted some and when I want to unload on a shot, I get just as much overall power and penetration as my shots had with T05 or MX-P.  I do recommend a reasonably fast blade with Karis, though.  My Viscaria is certainly enough.
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2017 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by nexy.com nexy.com wrote:

Any contest for lucky testers in the future?? Wink

I'm quite pleased with the M+ (see review on previous page) but i was expecting something harder and faster. So the H version sounds very nice.
Neottec Magic Control -CN : Nexy Karis M / 61second Kangaroo
Revoldia clone -ST: Hurricane 9 green / 61second Eagle
Donier Defensive -ST: Sword Long Can / 61second Eagle

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Baal, I asked the international manager through a popular Korean text app to explain, let's see how it shapes up. H sounds like hard. M is between FX and EL and M+ is kinda between EL and MX in Tibhar speak by my feeling at impact. H could be a true MX level hard for heavy hitters, who knows? I am with you in wishing Nexy could at least make a paragraph description, even if it is a teaser. My prototype M+ on lissom feel pretty darned top end fast, easily faster than my M on Kim Jung Hoon Blade, which is a level or two faster blade.

When you get some in send me a sheet.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 8:11pm
Update on Karis M.

I finally decided to replace my worn Karis M sheets.  It did seem like they were not quite playing the same as before.

I got about 9 months of play out of the last pair.  Incredible durability.  So tomorrow I have will play with nice new Karis M on both sides of my Viscaria.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 8:21pm
M+ is like 46-47 degrees. It is my bh rubber now. Arc is medium to high and.it has this nice feel and easy handling
It is surprusingly bouncy at first. It is easy to lift backspin and block too.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 7:14pm

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the Stiga Mantra thread, but figured it fits here better because what I learned tells me more about Karis than it does about Mantra, actually.

I tried Stiga Mantra M today, it comes form the same factory in Japan.  I compared it to Karis M, both on Viscarias. 

They were actually similar in a lot of ways, I was surprised that Mantra M was not really a lot faster (really not faster at all).  Compared to Karis, the internal pips of Mantra are about twice as long, but still quite short relative to a lot of other rubbers.  (The pips on the inside of Karis are incredibly short). It seems like the shorter pips is becoming a trend (see the various Rasanter threads here and at TT Daily) and I think it is a good trend (for most mortal players), taken to an extreme by Karis.

Mantra has a different color to its top sheet.  If I was describing it like a desert or an ice cream, I would say that it is more "rich and creamy".  Brighter color.  Very high quality.  Yogi Bear commented on that at some length and I see where he is coming from.  But just countering away, or looping while someone blocks or blocking someone's loops, these rubbers are really not all that different.  At the very least, they are cousins with family resemblance even  if they are not "identical cousins" (very old TV reference).

But here is the interesting thing.  After a month of Karis, you kind of get used to no surprises.  And with Mantra M, there were occasional surprises, just like with Tenergy, and Evolution and every other modern rubber I have tried.  Strange non-linearities that sometimes make you miss.  As Next Level said, until you play with Karis, you really have no sense of how often this happens.  I certainly didn't.

I attribute this to the internal pips because as best as I can tell, THAT is the one thing about Karis that is really different from Mantra and anything else out there.  Karis is like a thin topsheet sitting almost directly on top of a sponge, and their hardness is well matched, so they work together.  Pips can have all sorts of effects to change the angle the ball leaves the rubber, or how long it stays on the rubber and probably lots of different things, and sometimes it is a really good effect, and sometimes it is quite non-linear and not quite what you expected.  Karis eliminates this by coming as close as is possible to not having the pips at all.

Mantra M is really good rubber, and a lot of people will like it. Very grippy topsheet.  Nice arc to the ball, and I wanted very much to like it. And I do, actually.

But I will stick with Karis M for now.

One other thing, since my technique has evolved to use a slower rubber like Karis (slower compared to Tenergy or MX-P), I have no problem ripping balls fast and hard, and oddly enough compared to Mantra, I felt like my balls had more penetration with Karis.

It took me 20 minutes of interesting reading but I finally found this review. Maybe copy it to the Mantra thread where I am sure others will find it very informative.

I totally get what you like about predictability and linearity. I love it when I am controlling the game and not the sponge. Still, unless I'm in full training mode, it can be quite exhausting to win a point. I might not last an 11 point game if I had to provide all of the energy. This is what happened when I was playing with unboosted DHS, exhaustion.

In regards to Mantra, are both similar in speed and spin? I can get Mantra for a reasonable price at Tabletennis11. Thanks. I'd love to see a review comparing these Japanese rubbers to Rozena. All appear to be quite similar though using different technologies. Rozena seems to be doing great in Japan, which is why I am interested.

Thanks again!

Edited by richrf - 10/06/2017 at 1:29pm
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 7:58pm
will karis m+ play well with alc blades?? 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Saitama Saitama wrote:

Not sure if you read the whole thread, but from what I gather Karis plays well in any blade, it simply adopts the blade's characteristics. The main issue seems to be lack of dominating characteristics. It plays like a upscale all-around. I'm tempted, but I think I am not up to it physically. But maybe with good placement, I would be? But for sure I need to be able to open up again heavy US. I'm told I can with Mantra. Probably need a flexible blade to do the same with Karis.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Saitama Saitama wrote:

I am using M with a Viscaria.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 3:33am

Update on Karis M.

I finally decided to replace my worn Karis M sheets.  It did seem like they were not quite playing the same as before.

I got about 9 months of play out of the last pair.  Incredible durability.  So tomorrow I have will play with nice new Karis M on both sides of my Viscaria.

Sounds like U got nearly 500 hrs from Karis.

Nice.

That is the ball park area where I was willing to part with it to another developing player, it still had some life in it.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 11:04am
To be honest, I like it best when it is just a little bit broken in.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2017 at 5:35am
You oughta dig up some of the old "Prime that Rubber" threads from OOAK from LAW and some others... good reading.
maurice101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 6:21pm
Where do you guys buy Karis rubbers? Tried to use nexy.com and get an error message No payment modules have been installed. I purchased from  England  last time and he does not respond to emails and and last time it took 3 weeks to arrive.u
Any shops in Asia?

Edited by maurice101 - 10/06/2017 at 11:08pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 4:16am
Maurice, 

I am 1/2 of the Nexy USA operation. 

This is Nexy Korea's page for rubbers, maybe it is the same page you visited.

If there isn't a Nexy distributor in OZ, then Nexy Korea is it. They will certainly have every Nexy product, but shipping will drive your cost per unit up considerably if you only order a few things. If the order has 6-10 items, the cost per unit of shipping is much more reasonable. EMS shipping they use is very fast.

If you are uncomfortable about making an order from Nexy Korea, send a PM to Bogeyhunter or myself.
hangdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hangdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 5:04am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

This is Nexy Korea's page for rubbers, maybe it is the same page you visited.

I tried that one for ages, but it was out of stock forever. Turns out that particular Nexy site doesn't seem to be updated, at least for Karis M.

I think this one might work, though. http://nexyttstore.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 5:25am
Tried nexyttstore.com and got No carriers available. Similar error message for nexy.com.
hangdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hangdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 5:53am
Originally posted by maurice101 maurice101 wrote:

Tried nexyttstore.com and got No carriers available. Similar error message for nexy.com.
You're right, I'm getting the product page but it goes on the blink when I try to add to cart or log in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 6:08pm
Yes I find it frustrating that I can't find one site worldwide that has a functioning shopping cart that will ship to Australia.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by maurice101 maurice101 wrote:

Yes I find it frustrating that I can't find one site worldwide that has a functioning shopping cart that will ship to Australia.

Amazing. I wonder about their commitment to the product outside of Korea?
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 7:23am
@ maurice101 + hangdog:

which products do you like to order? Maybe I can help you.
For example I could order Karis for you (available here in Germany) and send it to (one of) you.
International shipping is not really expansive here.
If you are interested, please contact me with pm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic