Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy Rubicon reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Rubicon reviews
    Posted: 01/05/2017 at 3:25am
This thread is for posting reviews of Nexy Rubicon.
Everybody that was selected as a tester, please post their reviews and impressions here!
Thank you!

PS: anyone is obviously most welcome to post their review here, even if they have not been selected as testers.

Edited by arg0 - 01/05/2017 at 4:18pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 1:49pm
Got my test version today for review.  84g FL. Definitely a smaller head size and smaller wings than anything I currently use.  I do like the handle - fits in with what I use.  The 155 by 148 head size makes it a good blade for fast close to the table or over the table swings as well as certain control shots.

I compared the wings to the Kim Jung Hoon blade that Nexy made for Tibhar and the handle and wings are pretty similar.  The KJH has a larger head size that makes the wings feel slightly wider if you have big hands but not that big a deal.

I glued on Nexy Karis M on both sides and played some matches on Saturday.  The M felt too slow for the forehand, though the blade played fine.  I switched to the M+ on the forehand and the blade felt better but I am not sure it is a better choice - I might go back to the M.

The best thing about the blade is the ability to block and counter incoming topspin.  There is a control element to the blade that makes it really good for touch.  All the touch elements are fantastic and I think that for people who want to play a close to the table game based on control, this blade is as good as anything they will get.

That said, the lack of speed when combined with Nexy Karis is immediately apparent.  I think the blade will likely do better with traditionally faster rubbers like the Tenergy or Evolution line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqm2Ehi3a6c

Edited by NextLevel - 03/02/2017 at 7:02am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2017 at 6:49pm
Photos - right out of the box

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2017 at 6:54pm
Unpacking review:

1. Weight - around 80 g as promised.

2. Craftsmanship - excellent. Both blade and the box look beautiful and carefully constructed.

3. Handle feels a tiny bit smaller than I am used to but that is super-easy to fix with a little bit of soft wrap... which I always do anyway.

4. Ball bounce on the naked blade seems to hint at the control properties - the ball doesn't bounce too much and the sound is not super-annoyingly pingy as I heard from some Yinhe carbon blades.

My understanding is that this is a purely wooden blade geared toward control rather than power. We'll see.

I intend to put T-80 and T-80fx on it, both 1.9 mm and then try it during one of my next club sessions. Will probably also give it to one of the clubmates so he could share his opinion as well.

Gauguin123 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gauguin123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 8:02pm
Also got my RubiCon FL (82g) today, a bit surprised to see such a nice Box in presentation and the Made in China sticker thinking initially that it was maybe produced in Korea (I personally prefer Made in China printed on the wood or not to see this cheap sticker at all ). First impressions was that handle is very comfortable and lightly sanded on the necks area, sound craftsmanship in general, glued Tenergy 25 on Forehand and T64 on Backhand, glued with Elmer's Rubber Cement for first practice, before trying it with Karis M & Karis M+ rubbers.... Wonder if it has an Ayous or Balsa core???? Does anybody knows the 7-ply wood composition on the RubiCon???? Nuke

Jan. 18th - Just have my first practice with RubiCon, excellent in Control, speed at All + to OFF-, enough power for good mid distance loops, very positive first impression, I will give 8.7 / 10 as rating!!! T25 + T64 at 174.3 g

Jan. 22nd - Second practice, RubiCon w/ Andro Plasma + Xiom Vega II at 175.8 g!!! Equally good this set-up as w/ T25 & T64, love the Third Ball attack with the RubiCon, amazing sound when hitting ball in high speed w/ some power, suffered a bit on backhand. I really like it specially in games close to the table w/ counter punching.

Jan. 25th - Third practice, RubiCon w/ DHS Skyline III TG3 + T05-FX at 172.5 g!!! I was extra careful this time when removing previous rubbers, cautious because I used Rubber Cement as glue, but no splintering were observed thus far!!!! Also wonder if top layers are Mango Tree Veneer??? After today practice, I have to admit that the RubiCon have performed well in every rubbers that I tried on it, giving great flexibility to use a range of different rubbers making it extremely versatile thus far. My hitting partner liked the light weight set ups and its hitting power, almost comparable to a Carbon blade...

Feb. 1st - Next, RubiCon w/ Karis M+ and T05-FX at 174.2 g!!! After today practice, extremely happy with the combination of RubiCon and T05-FX on my backhand, a touch slower with Karis M+ on forehand but good dwell time to carry balls forward, lack a bit penetration or extra bite. While backhand was great on block shots, smash, flicks and good control on incoming loops. So far the best combination in terms of quality of shots and perfect weight!!!!

Feb. 5th to 12th - Up next 5 practice with Nexy RubiCon with Nexy Karis M+ and M at 179.4 g!!! After a few practice with this set ups, I have M+ on my backhand which was generally consistence on defensive plays, specially on block shots!!!! Also liked it on flips and backhand smashes. While I find it Karis M all right on my forehand, I would have prefered Karis M+ also in my forehand or another Tension Rubbers instead!!!!

CONCLUSION: I have had the Nexy Karis M and M+ for almost a months now, tried a numbers of blades and rubbers combinations as well on about 10 practice sections. My best set up would be the Nexy RubiCon with Tenergy 05 FX and Karis M+, excellence in short blocks for counter attacks, mid distance loops and smashes. The Nexy RubiCon blade is a good options for a recreational and developing player like myself, and would totally recommend it to others players. Only wish that the price would be closer in the US $ 90 range.

Finally, I would like to extend my thank you to Nexy and Member arg0 for organizing this testing event!!!! Many thanks...

Side note: Also want to mention that I am just a recreational player over the past 5 years, some time playing 2 - 3 days per week at about 2 1/2 hours per section. My game based on 3rd Ball attack and close to 1.5 m away from the table. Not rank anywhere and do not participate in competitions of any kind, really practice Table Tennis for fun and exercise at 45+ years old !!!

Edited by Gauguin123 - 02/12/2017 at 10:04pm
Primorac Carbon FL
FH: Andro Plasma (B)
BH: Xiom Vega II (R)
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:22am
Played with it tonight and loved it, its a very lively racket, i got the WST handle and its still a bit small, however that didn't stop me from playing my best, more detailed review to come after i use it another couple of sessions!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 11:07am
I like the Rubicon a lot, but the problem is that combined with Karis, it is too slow for how I play,  It needs to be a little faster.  Right now, it is closer to ALL+/OFF- - I need it to be OFF-/OFF.  Not sure how it will work.  Maybe if I could get one closer to 90 or 95g, that would solve my problem.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 11:21am
Mine is WST handle, 82 grams, well-made and super comfortable - Nexy blades tend to have deep wings which suit my grip well (Adidas and ITC also did this - is it a korean thing?)  Nexy seem a bit more open than in the past about where this one is made - there is a made in china sticker, and the tak9 website specifically mentions sunflex.  So this is pretty expensive for a made in china all-wood ($120).

So, 7-ply all-wood.   For the core I'll go for burnt kiri, like many other Nexy blades.  Next ply up looks to be a spruce.  Then maybe an ayous?  Mystery outer ply - maybe a pine-based fineline, or some sort of pale wenge?  There's a lot going on in these 7 plies - definitely not just another clipper variant.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I like the Rubicon a lot, but the problem is that combined with Karis, it is too slow for how I play,  It needs to be a little faster.  Right now, it is closer to ALL+/OFF- - I need it to be OFF-/OFF.  Not sure how it will work.  Maybe if I could get one closer to 90 or 95g, that would solve my problem.

They all seem to be pretty light don't they?  Weight selection on the nexy site only goes up to 86g.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:13pm
Dupe.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/17/2017 at 12:13pm
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

They all seem to be pretty light don't they?  Weight selection on the nexy site only goes up to 86g.

I asked for one closer to 90g and they said they didn't have one so I asked for the heaviest possible.  I like the way it feels, and the small head size is in some ways a good thing, but it would be interesting if they could do the same blade but with a head size closer to the KJH or just something that adds more weight.
Cybershape Carbon
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:15pm

NL try it with your t80s and I think that will put it in OFF, I have Rubicon currently with t05, mxp
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

NL try it with your t80s and I think that will put it in OFF, I have Rubicon currently with t05, mxp

Rocketman222,

I know, but there was a reason I left those rubbers behind.  If you ever try Karis, whether you like it or not, you will know why.  I am not ready to deal with that non-linear behavior anymore.  I am not training to be world class so I don't need it.

Everytime I give Karis M to someome coming from Tenergy or some fast ESN rubber and who is tired of not being able to figure out what is going on when they hit the ball soft or hard, they are amazed that they can figure out how a rubber behaves in a few minutes and play with it well with absolutely no prep or training. I don't need much more control behind that kind of rubber, I need some speed!

Right now I can put the ball on the table again and again and again and again and my opponent gets the chance to kill the ball again and ... you get the idea.  I guess I could improve my footwork but a little finishing power wouldn't hurt either!

I mean, I can hit a higher quality ball with a Primorac OFF-.  That should not be happening!
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 12:05am
Playing with Nexy Rubicon and Karis M+ on FH and Karis M on BH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqm2Ehi3a6c
Cybershape Carbon
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 2:39am
Seems this game was kinda relaxed. Guys, you either didn't have any mood that day or you are too serious.

Btw, I didn't find your setup to be slow. The stroke and movement itself is not strong however speed generated seems ok.

May I know this kind of game what rating is it approximately?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by player87 player87 wrote:

Seems this game was kinda relaxed. Guys, you either didn't have any mood that day or you are too serious.

Btw, I didn't find your setup to be slow. The stroke and movement itself is not strong however speed generated seems ok.

May I know this kind of game what rating is it approximately?

USATT 1950-2050.

Compare to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb2M927v4vg

Edited by NextLevel - 01/18/2017 at 10:31am
Cybershape Carbon
onehander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 1:56pm
NL, your technique looks the same here, but the ball has more pace.  What changed?  
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by onehander onehander wrote:

NL, your technique looks the same here, but the ball has more pace.  What changed?  

The blade ;).
Cybershape Carbon
elmo51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 2:42pm
so which blade against which blade, more pace with the rubicon? or with the other? Wich one is the other blade?

set up: Donic WSC

fh Cornileau target Pro GT H47

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by elmo51 elmo51 wrote:

so which blade against which blade, more pace with the rubicon? or with the other? Wich one is the other blade?

The other blade is a Samsonov Force Pro, Blue edition ( I made it as a test blade for people who wanted to try out M+).  You can figure out the rest.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/18/2017 at 3:11pm
Cybershape Carbon
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 8:31pm
NextLevel, I would like to hear comparison of Rubicon with my favorite KJH.
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Knuckle Ball Knuckle Ball wrote:

NextLevel, I would like to hear comparison of Rubicon with my favorite KJH.

Similar handle dimensions, but Rubicon has a smaller head size. Rubicon feels softer and has more dwell. KJH is faster and feels a little harder IMO. The KJH grew on me over time. Since my KJH is 89-90g, it really is no contest. I think a Rubicon may win at 95g in weight.
Cybershape Carbon
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 11:37pm
Nextlevel, I saw that video as well. The game is more alive and speed is faster.
Can't wait to recover my foot injury so I can back to play and testing my nexy zealot which I definitely like.

I find zealot quite fast even as fast as my maze. Maybe it looses on very high gears only as per my feelings.

Edited by player87 - 01/18/2017 at 11:45pm
elmo51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 3:10am
Got my Rubicon today, it is a straight 82 grams.
Nice finishing in beatifull wood colors. I like the fact that the color in the in the handle comes back in the blade or the other way around
I also like the little ruby detail on the bottom of the handle. I will test the blade saturday and take some pictures of the blade to.

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 9:58pm
First impressions (with T-80/T-80fx)

a) Speed: OFF-. It has a nice bounce when you hit the ball hard, but when you play weaker slower shots you can see right away that this is not an OFF blade. It plays ALL+ then.

b) Spin: very nice, very good raise-the-ball ability and higher than average throw angle

c) Control: hmm. Not sure. Here is the thing - when you attack, the control is very good due to slower blade, the ability to put the ball where you need it actually is better than with my OFF blade (BBC Blaster). I liked a lot how my topspin attacking shots were going. Good spin and great consistency.

But it played a bit less reliably in the shorter game - sometimes during blocking instead of going for a couple of feet just like it did a few seconds ago, ball goes ahead just one foot or 1.5... I am sure you know what I mean. And then sometimes you pop up the ball quite unexpectedly.

I think that could be the combination of two things in the blade's construction:
a)  the outer layer wood must be rather hard
b) the blade's flexibility is higher than I am used to

As a result in the short game or in slower placement game I get the ball bouncing quite differently from I expect. On one hand that is a question of habit and adjustment; on the other hand that says something about characteristics of the blade - and that could be important for a player.

My opinion is that unless you are an all-out attacker you should not pair this blade with bouncy fast rubbers like fast Euro-style tensors with high catapult. On the other hand, I cannot put slow rubbers on it because then I will not have enough strength to play this combo away from the table - also not a problem for someone with lots of energy and good physical condition (working right shoulder and lower back that doesn't hurt would be a plus). So I guess Karis is probably not an option for me.

I have changed the Tenergies to KTL Red Diamond (about same speed but more linear) and Palio Aeolus (whose catapult is much tamer than T-80 and it is less sensitive to the incoming spin). I will try and play with this new combo tomorrow.

---- Two more things

1) My combo (at about 170 g) felt a little bit overbalanced into the head. But putting lighter  rubbers on it is probably not an option, I am not sure I will want to play with a 164 g setup... or would I?

2)  I recommend sealing the blade. I did not and when I pulled off the Tenergies (used Tear Mender WBG, moderate amount) it seemed to me that in a couple of places the surface was getting ready to produce a tiny splinter. It could have been my imagination but I decided not to risk it.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 10:17pm
Second impressions (with KTL Red Diamond Mechanical and Palio Aeolus 45)

In short - much much better. But it is possible that I simply was playing better and therefore was happier with the rubbers. Still I think that RDM played more consistently than T-80 on Rubicon.

All in all I played for about 2.5 hrs straight. Sometimes my shots lacked a bit of power but again I think it was mostly because of my bad shoulder that started to hurt by the time I played my last match. Consistency, though, was very good.

I intend to put similar rubbers on my BBC QuadTrip which has similar speed and see if I will get more or less the same results.

Comparison of Rubicon and Quad-Trip to follow soon - next week, that is.

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2017 at 9:11pm
I just received my Rubicon and Karis M/M+ Rubbers. Unpacking impression: beautiful blade, excellent handle (WST), nice balance, and sanded wings BUT the top ply looks like it is partly devoured by termites or bark beetles in the vertical direction, definitively a recipe for splintering. No question, I am sealing it lightly with Joola varnish. Higher pitch than a Korbel (clone), lower than a Clipper (clone).

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 01/22/2017 at 12:26pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
elmo51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2017 at 11:04am
Well I played with the Rubicon yesterday , I had tenergy 05 on fh and blitz on bh.

Nexy Rubicon review ,

Well I glued up my rubbers with the nexy glue without any problems, They went on smooth and easy so no problems there. I also bought Nexy sidetape but this was not wide enough to cover the 2 rubbers and the blade and I would advise Nexy to make it a bit wider and thinner but thats not about the blade.

I compared it to Donic WSC en to Nexy CALIX

First feel is good , maybe a little head heavy I think but not to bad, The handle feels good to, I was a bit worried about the ruby wich sticks out a little,  but that is not a problem at all.

Speed is alround + to off minus in my opinion. It a tad slower then the WSC which is off- off and even more slower then the Calix which is off off+. I tested all of these with the same rubbers for a good reference.

It is quite flexible and not to stiff, Handle is ok but just like with other Nexy blades I would like them to be more round instead of squarish

Touch shots are very easy to perform ,You get plenty control with the Rubicon but it feels a bit bouncy compared to the WSC which made it harder to keep it as low as with the WSC but overall good to perform and very good control in the short game.

Throw angle is low to medium. Blitz goes a tiny bit lower over the net then with Waldner senso carbon on normal rally shots, tenergy is alike on the WSC, Tenergy is much better to control compared to Calix and easier to keep low on the Rubicon

Pushing is very easy with the Rubicon, Both with the blitz on my bh, and with tenergy on my FH.     I am a close to table player but one or two steps away from the table was very easy and controlable to, The balls where easy to keep lowI recon players who play away further from the table miss a bit of speed and power in the rubicon to make an attack or loop but a  defensive chopper with pips could be a very good combination with the Rubicon.

Like I  said, probably a good blade for Choppers since Im not a chopper but it went very well for me , also because I could get out speed of my opponents balls very well. You have a bit more control in this then with the WSC. Calix is faster and more for and attacking chopper who play further away from the table.

Blocking was really strange, It was way more faster and even little lower then with the WSC. Which made it much harder for an opponent to react if it came back. That was really a big plus and I managed to score a lot of point against fast heavy top spin players that way. Somehow it got an extra gear and it used the energy of the opponents to speed up. I liked that.

Looping, went good and with enough spin in it, A little less then with my WSC and even more then with my Calix but I had to put in less effort for a fast loop so that made it easier, probably because its slower to.., further away then 2 steps from the table it misses speed to overtake or to perform a good attack in my opionion

Smashing, was very easy to perform but because of the bouciness I had to get used to its speed which was'nt that fast and made it a bit springy feeling. Its not a smashers blade but you can smash quite controlled and precise with it but I really think it lacks some power there to for my game. The WSC has more power in smashing and better feel for that for me. Calix goes a lot faster ofcourse and has more power to.

Overall I must say Its a good blade, It offers a lot of controll for alround to off- players. Its not for powerfull attackers and further away from the table it is best used for defensive choppers because of the control that it offers in defensive strokes.Therefore it would fit defensive players who like to chop and push and occassioanily attack good to in my opinion. It could also be used by a control based looper who does'nt moves away from the table to much.

This is my first impression.

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 6:56am
My test Rubicon is 82g, WST (wide straight) handle.

Initial Inspection

Construction quality is good with no blemishes or bumps anywhere.  The design is nice with natural, neutral wood colours being used everywhere and nothing too flashy.  Apart from the gem, which is obviously super flashy but thankfully doesn't intrude when holding the blade.  The new Nexy boxes are pretty slick too but are slightly larger than usual.  Mr Moon does like to go his own way.

It's a 7-ply, obviously.  The top ply is very interesting - no idea what it is.  I did some googling and the closest I found was Lati (or white wenge - check out the image results and let me know what you think), and if so then it's janka is 1200, lower than regular wenge (1630) and slightly higher than walnut (1010).  Whatever it is, it's very thin and looks to be temperature treated in some way.  It's hard to see any distinguishing marks on ply 2, but again it's pretty thin.  If I had to guess I'd say ayous, but that's in the absence of any stand-out features.  Ply 3 looks like some kind of pine - a spruce or even hinoki.  And then the core looks like a burned kiri.

Mr Moon has already warned about the top ply being fragile.  From new I can see a few small pits in there, almost like a limba top after the first rubber change and the loose fibres have come away (edit - just read Pat's description about termites - it could definitely be termites).  This is likely a feature rather than a bug, but I sealed the top with one layer of Xiom I-Sure anyway as I always do with any limba surfaces I use.  As of today (24th Jan) I've done 4 rubber changes and had no problems at all, but I'd still recommend a sealer.

Head size as measured is 155x148 and thickness varies from 6.08mm to 6.15mm around the blade edge.  

Special shout out to the handle - wide straight.  It's basically a wide version of a round straight handle, and although it looks a bit flat in terms of proportion I find it to be incredibly comfortable in a palm-filling kind of way:

Also - the wings! Ah, the wings.  I choke my blades right up to the hilt so wings can be an issue for me.  But Nexy seem to have almost a trademark wing design (although I found adidas blades to be the same level of awesome too) where they are flat and wide, and pre-sanded to remove the sharp edges.  It won't suit everyone, but man they suit me and going back to anything "normal" always feels like a let down afterwards.

Bounce test - a bit subdued, so not likely to be an off+ speed monster at all.  Natural tone without artificial ping, and not the really high pitch you get with more mainstream hardwoods (rosewood, walnut).  Solid feel though, and pretty uniform across the blade face.

Review

Speed.  It's somewhere between ALL+ and OFF-, depending on what you're doing.

Feel.  The top ply is quite hard, but very thin, and everything else underneath is a lot softer.  This results in an initial feel on low impact shots of sharpness and a direct response, without being too bouncy.  Once more effort is applied (or the incoming ball speed is higher), this gives way to a softer feel overall.  There is no hollow feeling and everything is very solid, with only minimal vibration.  It's like a diluted version of a hardwood/spruce combination - not as hard or bouncy as something like a Rosewood V, and without the hollow feel.

Stiffness.  IMO, the Rubicon is quite a stiff blade.  There is a jump in rebound speed in the higher gears and I think this gives the impression of flex, but I think this is coming from some other property of the blade - the lower spruce/pine ply adding bounciness.  To be honest, this is splitting hairs somewhat, and I'm leaning on the general idea that flex is what you get with thinner blades that vibrate a lot as opposed to thicker blades with a top-end boost.  I could totally accept that other players could use Rubicon and call it flexy based on its non-linear top end alone though.

Drives.  I really love the Rubicon for all the basic topspin drive shots.  It has the kind of solidity, reliability and precision you need to apply consistent pressure on the opponent, without the excessive speed that leads to your error percentage going up.  As a mainly close-in attacker these days, I really appreciated the way Rubicon worked.  Once the pace gets sufficiently hot, it can surprise sometimes with additional ummmf, but when the ball is moving at that pace I tend to drop off a step or too from the table and this became more of a help than a hindrance.

Short Game.  Excellent.  The slightly harder feel at low impact, combined with a lack of bounciness, gives Rubicon great usability when pushing, receiving serve, and generally poking around.  It also feeds your confidence for flicks and flips.

Looping.  For slow/medium effort loops, Rubicon has an easy-going nature that I found made it hard to miss.  It has a natural feel to its arc in this zone and I was honestly very surprised at how easy it made loop adjustment - switching between a higher-arc spinny loop and a lower loop drive seemed very simple in comparison with my usual setup and most of the recent blades I've used.  These shots, although spinny and easy to land, lack the outright pace to rip winners all the time though.  And once the speed increases I found that the inherent ease of adjustment reduces to some degree and the arc becomes lower and longer.  This is the area that needed the most adjustment for me.

Overall.  Rubicon is a surprising blade.  It's a 7-ply, but not really like any traditional 7-ply I've used before.  In general play, it's super easy to use and very effective.  On the whole it fits very well with a close-up, allround, variable attacking approach.  It has a top-end boost which may help or hinder, depending on what you look for.  It reminds me in some ways of the Nexy Lissom - not in how it plays, but how Nexy have managed to twist and reshape how a 7-ply performs in the real world.  Lissom was incredible for controlled, continuous loop attack, and Rubicon does the same for a drive-based game.  Both lack outright power and the question mark for potential Rubicon owners would be how it combines with their current rubber selection - would it ultimately be too slow, or need too much effort from zone 2, or whatever.  Also, as much as Rubicon feels like a slight but noticeable improvement in almost every area over my current blade for my current style, it's expensive for a 7-ply all-wood, even if it's very well made and pretty unique in the marketplace at the moment.  Nexy have a whole bunch of all-wood blades at a lower price tag than this, but perhaps that top ply is an expensive material to use.

Edited by AndySmith - 03/01/2017 at 8:02am
Gauguin123 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gauguin123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 3:04pm
Wonder if could it be Mango Tree Veneer as top layers???

http://www.wood-database.com/mango/

Edited by Gauguin123 - 01/24/2017 at 3:06pm
Primorac Carbon FL
FH: Andro Plasma (B)
BH: Xiom Vega II (R)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic