Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Stellan Bengtsson Hock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Stellan Bengtsson Hock
    Posted: 01/27/2017 at 11:27pm
I played hardbat for close to a couple years and came back to sponge and didn't really want to go crazy trying different equipment like I did previously playing sponge.  According to my resreach the old Stiga blades seemed to best fit what I wanted to I got an early 70s Stellan Bengtsson and fell in love with the way it played, excellent crisp ball feel, not too bouncy in the short game, great spin and looping ability with plenty of put away power.  Absolute perfection if I could pick everything I wanted in every aspect of a blade, except for on big problem.  I just couldn't get used to the big squared handle, it literally made my backhand as well as my transition worse and seriously was hindering my game.  I was strongly considering trying other blades to get a handle I could use when I had the idea of changing the handle.  I didn't want to totaly lose the classic look of the blade so I had the bright idea of using a Hock handle as I had been playing with a Hock blade for a couple years in hardbat and loved the handle.  And Don Varian current owner of Hock Table tennis and all their stock is a friend and had extra un used handles he let me try.  So I put on this one and finished it out.  Now I have my all time favorite handle on my all time favorite blade!  And I think still a classic look with the dark mahogany wood handle.  So what do you think, did I commit a sort of paddle blasphemy, or keep the character of the blade while making it more personally functional?
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 2:52am
If you really liked the blade, but not the handle, it`s a good idea in my eyes. Maybe you changed the balance of the blade because of the (maybe) different weight of the handle-cups, but if you like this handle you will get used to this new balance.
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 3:29am
As you didn't sand the bottom of the handle or u shrinked the sides of the handle the balance of the blade didnt change, maybe a little lose but no one would ever feel the difference. The balance would have changed if you shrinked down the handle from the sides or at the bottom and also if u have used strange glue for the handle cups.

Magic_M has right about the different weight of the handle cups, this would matter the balance also, but I think you messured the weight of the previous stiga bare handle cups and the bare mahogany handle cups before you glue them on ur blade. Wink
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 3:38pm
Yea the Hock handle cups were ever so slightly wider and longer than the blade so I just had to sand the handle pieces a bit but none of the original blade.  There isn't enough of a balance change for me to notice any difference, I they are close enough in weight I can't tell any difference and I attached them on the same height of the neck so it wouldn't change the blade flex.  I can't tell any discernible difference in the way it feels or plays, just a much more comfortable handle and my backhand is allot better with it.  I have used this blade for almost a year now so I am glad I don't have to switch blades to get one with a usable handle.
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 4:38pm
It fits you and u enjoying playing with it, that only matters.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic