Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Mantra S,M,H Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Mantra S,M,H Rubbers
    Posted: 01/28/2017 at 8:08am
Mantra S 
Weight: 62 grams uncut
Speed: Off-
Spin: High

Mantra M
Weight: 63 grams uncut
Speed: OFF
Spin: Very High

Mantra H
Weight: 65 grams uncut
Speed: OFF+
Spin: Very High

Stiga Mantra S,M,H

After several months of waiting for the new Mantra rubbers, I finally came to get hold of the 3 variants in my hands. First of all, just to dispel the rumors about the recall of the Mantra rubbers, it was not about the rubbers being defective or having low durability. It was not the case but rather some sort of factory “enhancement” that they had to do with the rubber which I know but do not have the liberty to discuss.

I got the red Mantra S, M and H versions and got paired with the Genesis rubbers and a DHS Hurricane 3 for the Carbonado 290 and 245 plus the Celero Blade.  The 3 variants of Mantra have the same pimple structure and sponge with only the hardness being different for each variant. The sponge for the 3 rubbers all minute pores which are different from ESN tensor sponges.The H version is like at least 47 degrees, the M is like 45 degrees and S version like 42 degrees in hardness.

The topsheet of the Mantra rubbers are surprisingly different from what I have expected coming from a Japanese rubber company who made it. Unlike the Airoc series, The new topsheets have a very grippy surface and they don’t have this “plastic-like” texture. The quality is also good and consistent upon inspection. Many people are asking, what good are they and how do we know that these are just not marketing gimmicks? Those are the questions I also asked myself when I tried to place myself on other people’s shoes especially the doubtful ones and I do not blame them for being doubtful.

Among the 3 Mantra rubbers, the Hard version is the fastest one. It matches the speed if not even faster than a Tibhar MX-P. The Japanese rubbers never had any problem with speed. Actually they have plenty of speed but in the past they needed more spin. The M version is also fast but on the level of an EL-S. The S version is soft and slow. It is slower than an FX-P.

Now for the spin, the topsheets of the 3 variants are very grippy. This is the first time that the Japanese company producing the rubbers for Stiga have come up with such a topsheet. IN the past, the Airocs were spinny but not on this level the Mantra rubbers have. The closest topsheet characteristic I have felt for the Mantra rubbers are that of the Haifu Shark 3 and Whale 3 which in the past were also tested here in this forum. They are as grippy without the tackiness. The H version has almost the same spin level as the MX-P but it has a sharper and longer trajectory. The throw is low but when I used it with the 290 carbonado, it was accurate enough just to clear the net. The M version is also very spinny. Actually both M and H versions are spinny enough that they could pass as ESN rubbers but they have this trajectory that makes them different from ESN rubbers. The M version has a medium arc while the S version has a medium to high arc. The S version needs to be hit through the sponge to produce more spin. This rubber is designed for people who compress the sponge a lot when driving or looping. The Genesis rubbers are initially more spinny but when you compress more on the sponge and when you  do very strong attacks, that is where the Mantra H and M rubbers shine and you can feel the combination of the speed and spin.

Which of the 3 variants? I was really biased with the H version but lately I also like the M version a lot. Let me explain why. The  H version is

Mantra H version is one of the most stable rubber I have tried in terms of attacking and blocking. Take note that the H version was placed on a Carbonado 290 and the said blade is an off+ very fast attacking blade. I had no problem blocking with it. It produced a low return when blocking just an inch higher than the net which is sometimes hard for opponents to attack back. It is very easy to block with both H and M versions of the Mantra but the H version seems to be very potent. The H version’s very low throw sometimes upsets players that I have looped with and the ones of have tried the Mantra H with the Carbonado 290 all agree that the rubber has unique attacking properties. The ones who have tried it were actively using Donic P-series rubbers and some other guys have been using MX-P. The guys using the Donci P-series rubber swear by it that it is a much better rubber and more vicious in attacking while the guys using MX-P are greatly impressed by it due to its sharp low arc and good spinning capabilities. The M version is the tamed version of the Mantra H. It can do everything the M version can but on a more tamed attack and easier to control. The 3 rubbers are never spin sensitive but they spin great with serves and pushes aside from loops. The S version, I would recommend it really for a backhand rubber or for developing players mostly. The H and M versions are really the rubbers to buy.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 8:38am
seems so much equipment to test=))
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 9:49am
Watch out for the mantra h. It is the rubber to watch. Topsheet is very grippy and spinny..
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 11:11am
These are big rubbers for stiga. Need to get this release right, especially at the price they're asking.
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 12:38pm
if they sell it more expensive than the Tibhar Evo series, they're doomed... just like airocs
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Reaper Reaper wrote:

if they sell it more expensive than the Tibhar Evo series, they're doomed... just like airocs

This is a problem, although it depends on what Mantra brings to the table of course.  But when you can get EL-S for $36 from ttnpp then it has some ground to cover.
polbotinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polbotinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2017 at 1:16am
I wonder what is the sponge hardness in degrees?
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2017 at 2:30am
Hope you can compare this with the genesis series
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2017 at 5:54am
I'm looking forward to your review :)

I'd like to know if they can compete with the Tenergies, as Evolutions are quite different (MX-P harder than T05, and afaik the others have low throw angle)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 10:35am
updated with review

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

First of all, just to dispel the rumors about the recall of the Mantra rubbers, it was not about the rubbers being defective or having low durability. It was not the case but rather some sort of factory “enhancement” that they had to do with the rubber which I know but do not have the liberty to discuss.

Hahahahaha.  Bravo!

Great reviews, as ever.

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 11:57am
great reviews - had been waiting for them.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 12:08pm
Sounds like it shares some characteristics with Nexy Karis, which is made in the same factory I think.  Maybe a Karis on steroids. 
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 12:47pm
and now the question that everyone is wondering about. Is Mantra H a good alternative to T05?
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 1:02pm
Could you elaborate a bit more on the comparison against the Genesis rubbers? Might end up getting them since dandoy has a 3 for 4 deal on genesis.
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 6:01pm
Karis still has the old topsheet so this has a new and better one.

Genesis is a dhs rubber so it plays differently. Genesis may be spinnier on slower loops and pushes but the stronger the attacks get, the better is the mantra h & m compared to genesis.

In terms of spin ni, t05 is still king. The mantra h and m however arealready in the level of esn rubbers and if you ask me they are better than the acuda p series

Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 8:02pm
Atlast the review came 😀. Just have one question yogi. Which is heavier mxp or mantra h?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 8:13pm
Mxp is heavier.

Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 8:31pm
cool then its a must try for me :) one more thing is mantra durable like genesis and mxp??
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 9:39pm
Cant say yet but i think it is as durable as the airoc series which was good enough for me.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 9:51pm
Yogi, how long are the pips?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 10:22pm
I did not measure them but they seem to only differ in hardness

Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 11:34pm
Mr Yogi
Comparing to the past rubber you have try the ease of spinning is very good ?
Do they generate good spin on brushing or need to engage sponge.

I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 11:38pm
Yes, the mantra series have a differebt ang very grippy Topsheet which can be as spinny as modern esn rubbers

GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 10:07am
So,good grip, speedy japanese sponge and low throw. Looks like it solves the great post-glue problem of finding a replacement for heavily glued Bryce?

Edited by GSOM_GSOM11 - 02/11/2017 at 12:23pm
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 10:59am
Yogi, could you please compare Mantra vs Acuda P (H vs P1 or M vs P2) in terms of hardness, throw, pips structure - which one has denser pips, and overall feel. Does Mantra behave more like Acuda P (or, maybe, T64) either like Bluefire (T05)?
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 6:28pm
May be a comparison of speed and spin between Mantras and Calibra LT and LT sound?
Thanks!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 9:05pm
Mantra h os like a tamed version of mxp with lesser spin but with better control.
Mantra h is faster than calibra lt plus

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 10:03pm
Thanks yogi.
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2017 at 3:14am
How similar or different are these to the other recent Japanese rubbers such as TSP Regalis and Joola Samba 19/27?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic