Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS Goldarc 8&5?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS Goldarc 8&5?
    Posted: 02/12/2017 at 12:46am
Has anyone tried these rubbers? Any reviews? They say they are made in Germany. DHS rubber that is made in Germany? 
They both seem to be tensor rubbers. Goldarc 8 is labeled as 'power+speed' and Goldarc 5 is 'control+spin'. They are both on the ITTF list of approved racket coverings.

Here is my translation of the German blurb on the back of Goldarc 8:
" The surface of Goldarc 8 has the elasticity of a fully drawn bow, and has high grip. The elasticity comes from the robust pimple geometry. It has big pimples that provide large amounts of power from the mid-distance. The player profits from good feedback; and the clear sound produced upon contact with the ball provides more trust and confidence in one's shots.
Goldarc 8 possesses extreme amounts of speed and spin, and can be used to pressure one's opponent in any situation. The rubber is suitable for both forehand and backhand.
This highly elastic, non-tacky rubber was developed in collaboration with the DHS development centre, German rubber experts, and the multiple-time world champions Wang Liqin and Ma Long."

Here is the translation of Goldarc 5's blurb:
" Goldarc 5 combines a robust pimple geometry with BIOS technology for stable control and excellent feel. The unique harmonisation of grip and tension allows the rubber to be controlled effortlessly. The full value of this rubber is seen with increasing shot strength.
This highly elastic, non-tacky rubber was developed in collaboration with the DHS development centre, German rubber experts, and the multiple-time world champions Wang Liqin and Ma Long."

Edited by Chairman Meow - 02/12/2017 at 12:16pm
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2017 at 3:09pm
bump

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2017 at 6:24am
My Goldarc 5 just arrived (along with my D40+ balls).  Just missed my regular practice night - hate when things turn up on tuesday...

It's red, medium thickness (2.0mm is my guess) and 42.5 sponge.  Topsheet feels quite grippy and is more translucent than most recent ESN I've used, so it looks a bit retro.  For context, if you compare the red topsheets of Rakza 7 with Rakza X, the 7 has very visible pips whereas the X is matte and opaque.

60g uncut, 42g cut to 157x150.  Pretty light.

I'll post back when I've used it.

Edited by AndySmith - 03/21/2017 at 7:26am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2017 at 3:28pm
Top sheet looks like my rising dragon or the old sheet of super sriver in my garage!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

Top sheet looks like my rising dragon or the old sheet of super sriver in my garage!

Yeah, I know what you're saying.  The grip seems very good in a basic spin test, and it feels a bit harder than 42.5 when finger pressing, but it's hard to say much else.  The topsheet does remind me a lot of Xiom Musa, at least visually.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 11:52am
I think the Gold Arc 5 is suppose to be 47.5 degree, and the 8 is suppose to be 50 degree.
Shifter
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I think the Gold Arc 5 is suppose to be 47.5 degree, and the 8 is suppose to be 50 degree.

They are both available in two hardnesses.

GA5 is 42.5 and 47.5
GA8 is 47.5 and 50
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 7:41pm
Quick tryout of GA5-Red-42.5 tonight.

It's definitely low-catapult in comparison with the big ESN guns - this is more like a slightly enhanced Xiom Musa.  It's telling that goldarc 8 has the tensor logo on the packet while GA5 does not.

In comparison with something like Musa, GA5 has a bit more catapult and spin, and is ridiculously easy to use for all the basic work you do at the table.  The topsheet works well with no surprises, but has just enough grip to produce solid spin and no slippage.  What it lacks is top-end power, and it would need a fast blade to suit someone who currently uses a faster 42.5 ESN rubber (like JP03, or Hype EL Pro).  In fact, where this could be a useful fit is for someone who has purposely picked a rocketship blade to speed up a slower rubber on one side (H3N on FH is the obvious example), but who then needs a more reasonable rubber on the other side.  Or a real-world allround player who doesn't need to drop massive loopkill bombs from the carpark all night long.  Or a beginner/intermediate who wants to spin the ball with a high margin of safety.

I didn't order a sheet of GA8, but I'm betting that it will be more along the lines of faster, catapultier (yeah, I typed that), ESN tensors.  In comparison, GA5 is from that "modern classic" ESN non-tensor line, but it feels like the best one I've tried so far from that group by a small margin.  I haven't tried the absolute latest ones like andro good, ventus basic, joola axxess so I'm not sure how it stacks up against those.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 7:56pm
is the topsheet semisticky at all or just grippy?
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 8:10pm
The only prices I've been seeing it at, is around $50. Is it worth it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

They are both available in two hardnesses.

GA5 is 42.5 and 47.5
GA8 is 47.5 and 50

This may seem like a dumb question, but are these hardnesses measured on the usual DHS scale (like the hardnesses for Hurricane) or on the ESN scale (like the hardnesses for Rasant)? If it is on the DHS scale, then the sponge must be like a brick.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2017 at 3:50am
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

is the topsheet semisticky at all or just grippy?

Not sticky at all, just grippy.

This may seem like a dumb question, but are these hardnesses measured on the usual DHS scale (like the hardnesses for Hurricane) or on the ESN scale (like the hardnesses for Rasant)? If it is on the DHS scale, then the sponge must be like a brick.

ESN scale.

Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

The only prices I've been seeing it at, is around $50. Is it worth it?

That's a bad price.  It's $40 at prott, but as low as $27 on aliexpress if you can bear to go that route.  Really need someone more mainstream to pick it up like ttnpp I suppose.  It should be priced around the Musa mark IMO, so I think £22-£25 is reasonable.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2017 at 12:40pm
Had a full session with GA5 last night.  I haven't changed my opinion of it really - it's a very steady, allround type of rubber.  Spin is good without being great, the speed is OK on hard strokes but it lacks catapult in the low/medium gears.  The topsheet is medium-hard and takes some effort to get going, but it's pretty solid.  

The short game is really incredible, mainly due to the easy-going topsheet and lack of bounce.  I pulled off a few double-bounce pushes from quite odd positions - won a few surprise points.  But I duffed a lot of basic stuff into the net where I'd usually rely on catapult to get the ball over the net.

If I was using a faster blade, I'd consider it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2017 at 3:06pm
Sounds like it could be a good rubber for intermediate players who play the control and placement game, but want something a little more than Mark V.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2017 at 4:10pm

Sounds like it could be a good rubber for intermediate players who play the control and placement game, but want something a little more than Mark V.

Yup.  It's a bit softer than Mark V as well.

I popped it on the faster side of a Double Day Terminator blade and had a bash there - much better.  Next is a Fang Bo 2.  Definitely needs a fast blade unless you're going for a true allround experience.

I think this kind of rubber would work better for me on a slightly harder sponge.  Happily. it looks like Nittaku have something along these lines on a 45 degree sponge - Factive.  And the sponge colour is...fabulous.  Might give one of those a bash.
sspark80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sspark80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 5:30pm
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this seems like the best place for my question.

Andy (or anyone who's played w/ both), 
Would you mind comparing GA5 to Karis M?
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2017 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by sspark80 sspark80 wrote:

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this seems like the best place for my question.

Andy (or anyone who's played w/ both), 
Would you mind comparing GA5 to Karis M?

I'm also interested in this question. It's $32 on TT11, much less than the $50 Karis.

Edited by richrf - 11/04/2017 at 10:45pm
soneill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soneill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 1:25pm
Also available at Paddle Palace: http://www.paddlepalace.com/Gold-Arc-5/productinfo/RCGA5/

Don't forget to check the Daily Special - http://www.paddlepalace.com/todaysspecial.asp or http://blog.paddlepalace.com/daily-special on your mobile device.

Edited by soneill - 02/07/2018 at 3:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic