Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short pip rubber life ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short pip rubber life ?
    Posted: 02/21/2017 at 12:00am
About  how long should short pip sheets last before needing to be replaced?

For reference I play 3-4 days/week usually 2-3hrs of actual play per day

I am using 802-40 topsheet on a Dawei sponge from ColesTT.

Mark
Sponsored Links

ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 12:32am
802-40 topsheet would easily last 6-8 months, maybe more.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 1:44am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

About  how long should short pip sheets last before needing to be replaced?

For reference I play 3-4 days/week usually 2-3hrs of actual play per day

I am using 802-40 topsheet on a Dawei sponge from ColesTT.

Mark

like 3 or 4 months .you start missing easy balls when the pips are worn out
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 4:07pm
Is everyone joking? Unless you're in the ITTF top 100, 802-40 will last over a year as long as it doesn't become torn or otherwise damaged.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 5:12pm
Topsheet  looks great.  Was wondering more about the sponge deteriorating.  In the past it seems like I always damaged the sheet well before I was even thinking about replacing it.  The current sheets have survived longer than ever so I have started wondering about replacement.

Thanks for info.

Mark
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 5:15pm
[QUOTE=GeneralSpecific] Is everyone joking? Unless you're in the ITTF top 100, 802-40 will last over a year as long as it doesn't become torn or

i guess it depends how hard you hit
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 8:06pm
Not sure about short pips.  but I find OX-LP's have about the same life span as inverted rubbers.  I suspect short pips about the same.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Not sure about short pips.  but I find OX-LP's have about the same life span as inverted rubbers.  I suspect short pips about the same.

once i played a tournament with a 5 month 802 pips and i lost to a lower ranked player i missed a lot of easy balls then glued a new sheet and my game improved instantly every stroke had more bite more consistent
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2017 at 12:14am
I change my short pips (joola ultra express) about once a year, the new sheet seems to play a little sharper for a week or two, some of this is due to the fresh gluing. when I put fresh glue on my current sheet it feels better too, but not as sharp as a new sheet...after I spend the money for a new sheet I still lose to the same players as before the new rubber. It wont fix my weaknesses..

If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2017 at 12:44am

================

No kidding.  I heard the LP-OX rubber, the older the better.  We have LP-OX rubber players in our club, they never change their LP rubber.

The problem is when it is new:  People put new LP-OX rubber on the car's dash-board during summer, or put it in the microwave oven ........ you name it.

People just want their new LP-OX rubber to age faster.

Btw, I have never done those things.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/22/2017 at 12:45am
skip3119
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

================

No kidding.  I heard the LP-OX rubber, the older the better.  We have LP-OX rubber players in our club, they never change their LP rubber.

The problem is when it is new:  People put new LP-OX rubber on the car's dash-board during summer, or put it in the microwave oven ........ you name it.

People just want their new LP-OX rubber to age faster.

Btw, I have never done those things.

I suppose players who rely on their blocking prefer less friction with their LP's.  I rely on pushing (and recently more hitting) more than blocking and prefer some grip to my LP to give me the control.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 12:38pm
I try to replace my short pips after 4-5 months. I play about the same amount of time as you and I find that after 4 months I start hitting some balls in the net that I would normally have been able to spin more. And I play better immediately when I change to a new sheet. Sure the rubber may look ok, and may last almost a year, but eventually the surface of the pips will wear down and the rubber will lose it's grip. Since 802-40 is pretty cheap I would replace it every 4.5 months.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I try to replace my short pips after 4-5 months. I play about the same amount of time as you and I find that after 4 months I start hitting some balls in the net that I would normally have been able to spin more. And I play better immediately when I change to a new sheet. Sure the rubber may look ok, and may last almost a year, but eventually the surface of the pips will wear down and the rubber will lose it's grip. Since 802-40 is pretty cheap I would replace it every 4.5 months.

what pips are you using now?
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 3:38pm
I change my SP at the same time I change my inverted rubber.  SP has less control than inverted, so I need all the grip the tip of the PIP can give me.  I suppose if you only block or hit, then it may last longer, but I play even more aggressive than I do with inverted.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic