Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting yourself in position.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting yourself in position.
    Posted: 02/26/2017 at 10:40pm
A kid in my teaching has positioning problem. From time to time he often miss hitting a ball that change direction after landing.

For example it goes right to his body and then pop left.
He try to loop back with his FH (then ball change trajectory) he don't switch to attack with BH but move left in poor position and loop with FH.

Any advice to eradicate this habit ??
I 'multiball' him a lot and he still miss. This kid has good agility and I think enough speed to take himself in position but  he did lose 2-3 point per games with that habit.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:18am
Multiball and send him balls that are just a little off...balls he could lean and get but make him move for them?

Also is he up on his toes or back on his heels?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 1:41pm
Are you talking about sidespin balls?
Anticipating the trajectory of sidespin balls is something that can take a lot of grinding.
Training requires being able to recognize what strokes make sidespin, and simply forcing yourself to be in a different position than a conventional topspin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2017 at 9:25am
Yes sir!!! Topspin that contain a bit of sidespin.
He always land back on his heel. And spometimes being neutral and bendover-reachover for BH.

TY for the tips, if you have anymore suggestion please be kind and freely comment.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 3:23am
Crowsfeather, this will take more time with your child learner. The child will need to recognize what is on the ball at impact and process/decide right away. This is the case with ALL balls in TT. In this case, the child needs to recognize the timing and depth and make a positive response. There are several. One is waiting, and making a slight step and FH loopdriving. Another is more simple to understand and execute.

One can move forward and take the ball off the bounce with a quick BH with a soft hand right away and then open right foot to be ready to make a strong FH on the next ball. (If it comes back)

One further option is to do it BH-Man style and lean to left (like you discourage) but impact ball on side. This makes a sidespin/corkscrew/topspin ball that if struck with a soft hand, will land short on Opponent's short FH, then kick away from him. Often this is a winner and if not, it gets the player back in the point ready to strongly attack the return.

All of these are possible responses and are valid. Of course the macho man wants the counter FH topspin from a good position, but TT is war and we always do not get what is optimal in position and time.

Edited by BH-Man - 03/01/2017 at 3:23am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 3:27am
Often, this is a consequence of evolving the FH offense with graze, but you are in the best position to know this over me as you see the kid live and I do not. Developing players make misses trying too much graze before shot is developed. (or changing mind) You are boots on ground eyes on target in a better position to observe than me.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 8:19am
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Are you talking about sidespin balls?
Anticipating the trajectory of sidespin balls is something that can take a lot of grinding.
Training requires being able to recognize what strokes make sidespin, and simply forcing yourself to be in a different position than a conventional topspin.

+1

I used to have the same problem when I first started to get coaching. I would often get told off for not anticipating where the ball would be after the bounce (mostly sidespin, but occasionally topspin as well), to the point where I genuinely thought I must a bit dim with my spacial perception.

Now I know better, and the coach was wrong to bug me about it. This is one of those things that will naturally get better in time and with experience, no need to put a special focus on it. Just make sure the kid is not lazy on his feet.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 8:54am
Just have him enter counter loop rallies with a sidespin looper for a while. His brain will read the stroke better over time as well as the ball trajectory.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 9:17pm
Big thanks to everyone.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 9:50pm
Is your pattern inbrandom also for multiball? Mayve start with just 4-5 successive random placements then move it to continuous feeding. I also do random single ball drills to help them increase anticipation and footwork.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2017 at 9:02pm
I took all advices.
Fixed 3 points multiball then some 1-2 random balls then back to pattern again.
This way seem promising, The kid and I appreciate it. 
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Crowsfeather Crowsfeather wrote:

A kid in my teaching has positioning problem. From time to time he often miss hitting a ball that change direction after landing.

For example it goes right to his body and then pop left.
He try to loop back with his FH (then ball change trajectory) he don't switch to attack with BH but move left in poor position and loop with FH.

Any advice to eradicate this habit ??
I 'multiball' him a lot and he still miss. This kid has good agility and I think enough speed to take himself in position but  he did lose 2-3 point per games with that habit.

IMO, Depend on what of opposite player position.
1- If your child FH loop and opposite player stay close at table and block back to his back hand then he need using back hand to loop or block it back. (can't move to left for re-loop)
2- If opposite player stay far as your child and both of them try to rally loop then that is different case. You can look at world players rally loop then copy their foot work and copy their technic to teach your child.
3- When you training him, you need stay close the table and feed the ball fast look like block it back then he can't move to left for FH loop, he has to use back hand to block or back hand loop only. Then you feed ball at far table to let him practice move his foot with 3 location. You feed one on the right, one on the middle and one on the left and he has to use his forehand to loop them all.
I know it still a lot of thing need to talk more how to training and how to make him move as his habit but you need to training him one at the time.
As I said above, depend on opposite stay close the table or far table. If they are higher level than your child they can put the ball to where your child can't attack the next one, your child need to return the ball back then find out the next attack. Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic