Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

med pips: DHS sharping vs spinlord keiler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: med pips: DHS sharping vs spinlord keiler
    Posted: 03/08/2017 at 10:21am
What are people's thoughts on DHS sharping and spinlord keiler? Which one is better for punching and blocking? I use a butterfly viscaria and want to know which one is better.
Sponsored Links

Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 11:25am
I've never tried Keiler, but I've just tried the Sharping. I was trying to use it on my bh , its very screwy and gives deceptive and slightly backspin balls when countering. It's pretty good for blocking but I found it more sensitive to spin than I thought it would. It's pretty good for flipping and flicking too. My problem with it is it's quite hard to control in rallies unless you hit it dead on with the ideal stroke. It has no grip at all and if you time it incorrectly, the ball will likely go into the net or fly way out because of its low trajectory. Now maybe all med pips are like that and I've never used one before, I bought it in the hopes that it's a funkier short pips. I also didn't like the sponge much, I couldn't feel the ball as well as when I was using any other short pips recently (102, 101, breakout, Spectol red).
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 8:51pm
I have not played with Keiler; but in terms of medium pips "effects", Sharping is among the lowest.  It is easier to play with than other MP's.  Easier for you = easier for your opponent.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 1:33am
I've tried both. Sharping is an odd SP in that it's very soft, very fast, and bouncy, with fairly decent grip. I used it in early 2014 but set it aside due to its bounciness and difficulty with control, finding SPs like 820A, Legend 105 and Super Spinpips (and more recently Beautry) more to my liking.

Keiler, on the other hand, I've tried more recently. Here are my notes from Oct 2016 from OOAK: Tried 1.8 black Keiler today and was disappointed. Compared to TSP Super Spinpips (on FH) it was almost impossible for me to lift the ball over the net with a FH drive. Balls were inconsistent making it hard to rally during practice. My opponent initially commented that it didn't have much power compared to my regular TSP Super Spinpips. That was on light and medium powered strokes. On harder FH strokes the Keiler wakes up and rockets, but the end result is a rubber that's non-linear. No like.

Keiler and Sharping are nothing alike.
BBC, SP, LP
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 6:44am
I've used keiler for RPB for about 2 months. Coming from short pips I found it harder to control at first. It's very hard to drive with it, you need to hit hard so the ball digs into the sponge and from there it behaves more or less like short pips. You can loop backspin and chop topspins fairly well but slow looping dead balls is tough. Deception is no better than many short pips, like 802. Also, Keiler is not suited for FH play. Even though I've adapted to this rubber, I've moved back to short pips and have no desire to use keiler again.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 9:14am
i would recommend stay away from sharping, it's a piece of garbage, its pips break so easily. Too fast, can't chop, attacks fly spinless and go very off the table.

I ripped its sponge and glue it to an old DHS PF-1, great combo.

I glued an 1.0mm DHS C8 sponge to the sharping, a little more controllable but useless still
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 9:54am
Just confirmed. DHS sharping is rubbish haha. But I am using keiler on backhand. Keiler is no forehand rubber thats for sure!
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

I've used keiler for RPB for about 2 months. Coming from short pips I found it harder to control at first. It's very hard to drive with it, you need to hit hard so the ball digs into the sponge and from there it behaves more or less like short pips. You can loop backspin and chop topspins fairly well but slow looping dead balls is tough. Deception is no better than many short pips, like 802. Also, Keiler is not suited for FH play. Even though I've adapted to this rubber, I've moved back to short pips and have no desire to use keiler again.

have you tried victas 101? several top juniors in germany play FH with 101

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 9:36pm
I've not tried victas pips yet. I've heard they're similar to hexer pips

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

Keiler is no forehand rubber thats for sure!
true that
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 9:39pm

101 is very nasty
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

101 is very nasty

The topsheet of 101 might as well be a sheet of textured plastic. There is no grip. The sponge is good though. I imagine 102 is better though
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2017 at 10:32am
101 is one of the harder SP to play with. Great sink and all but the trajectory is so low, your technique need to be on point.
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Bilbo Bilbo wrote:

101 is one of the harder SP to play with. Great sink and all but the trajectory is so low, your technique need to be on point.

101 is slower than 102 thats for sure. However, once 101 is mastered. Its deadly.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Reaper Reaper wrote:

i would recommend stay away from sharping, it's a piece of garbage, its pips break so easily. Too fast, can't chop, attacks fly spinless and go very off the table.

I ripped its sponge and glue it to an old DHS PF-1, great combo.

I glued an 1.0mm DHS C8 sponge to the sharping, a little more controllable but useless still

Get the Nittaku version from Iruiru. Much softer sponge + comes in every sponge size aside from OX. By far the most popular rubber amongst choppers in Japan.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2021 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

Originally posted by Bilbo Bilbo wrote:

101 is slower than 102 thats for sure. However, once 101 is mastered. Its deadly.

How would you compare blowfish plus to 101? Which one is harder to control and gives the nastier shots?
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2021 at 4:15pm
Victas 101 is nothing special just lightly disturbing and little control.

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2021 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Victas 101 is nothing special just lightly disturbing and little control.

So blowfish plus its more dangerous?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic