Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Best Set Up for Nittaku Acoustic

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which rubber suits this blade the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [44.44%]
1 [11.11%]
4 [44.44%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Set Up for Nittaku Acoustic
    Posted: 03/13/2017 at 4:18pm
Please let me know which set up you think works best on this blade, if you have some other suggestions please let me know as well. I play in mid distance, loop both sides, like to smash and loop hard on forehand, good active backhand block. My backhand is pretty much as good as forehand. I do not like to do SLOW open loops, rather prefer to push the serve or attack it slightly with more power than (soft open up)...

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

My current blades I use (Schalger with T05's, Korbel with Bryce HS) Viscaria with T05 & Bryce HS.

(I had to try Acoustic )
Sponsored Links

taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2017 at 8:30am
bump
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2017 at 6:02pm
I'm an Acoustic user with 3 yrs experience. There is a good option for Acoustic FH, if boosting doesn't disturb you: Palio CJ 8000 BIOTECH 36-38 (purple sponge). I'm aprox.2100 power looper, and it has enough power for me when boosted. Red is better than black (harder), and 2.0 seems better than max (easier full-power counterloop against incoming opening loops).

For BH there is no cheap option, unfortunately. If you prefer safe BH looping strategy to set up a FH kill,then Evolution FX-P (a rare soft rubber that matches Acoustic), but it doesn't mean it can't deliver some punch when needed. Acoustic is a flexy blade, and it amplifies your power loop if it is really powerful. But if your BH strategy is all-out attack a-la Kreanga, then go for Bryce Highspeed. But beware, you may get in trouble if you face some high quality short game to your BH. Bryce Highspeed is not suited for safe and spinny opening, you will be forced to take some risks and go for a loopkill, either to step around for FH spinny opening.
For BH blocking, BHS is marginally better, but Acoustic is inferior to SC or Viscaria because of its flex. It is more suited for spin-block rather than punch-block. But with BHS you can punch through spin. The entire game with BHS is more risky and aggressive, kill-or-miss matter.

Edited by GSOM_GSOM11 - 03/14/2017 at 6:03pm
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2017 at 6:12pm
And one more caveat: I've never seen a high level looper who would be satisfied with Acoustic&05 on FH side. Nobody likes 05 on Acoustic, looks like there is some specific incompatibility between them. If you have a spare 05, you can try it and post if i'm wrong.
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by GSOM_GSOM11 GSOM_GSOM11 wrote:

And one more caveat: I've never seen a high level looper who would be satisfied with Acoustic&05 on FH side. Nobody likes 05 on Acoustic, looks like there is some specific incompatibility between them. If you have a spare 05, you can try it and post if i'm wrong.

I found T05 to be oddly bouncy when receiving long pushes or slow flat hits. I couldn't play passively with that combo. I found mxp to be better suited for the Acoustic as it accents the blades dwell, but isn't as bouncy.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2017 at 10:58pm
Acoustic goes well with H3 National orange sponge 40 or 41 degree. H3 National blue sponge also suitable on Acoustic. While on backhand, just use Tenergy 80.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2017 at 5:52pm
I recently cheated on my beloved Acoustic of 10+ years (but not playing TT seriously for about 6 of those years...) and bought a Viscaria, so now I have simultaneously an Acoustic and a Viscaria both with T05 and switching between the two sometimes, so I feel qualified to say something!

The throw angle is too high with T05 and Acoustic I think. The ball feels like its like 10cm higher in the air at their side of the table than with say Viscaria + T05.

The increased spin sometimes makes the ball land anyway at lower power, but under higher power the spin isn't enough, and anyway the high angle into the table causes the ball to blob up rather than stay low and skim forward.

Then to fix it you have to use a really closed angle on the blade (reducing error margin), and swing more forward than normal. If you try to hit through the ball more the Acoustic flex speeds the ball up alot and its easy to miss the table.

On BH its no problem, its easy to use a closed BH esp over the table, and the huge throw angle is actually really nice for the modern spinny flicky forward BH. Also, people's expectations with BH loop is not as high as FH loop, if the ball doesn't stay low and skim forward we dont care as much as long as it lands well Tongue. Maybe BH far from the table is a bit dodgy, I cant tell cos I don't really do far-table BH.

Edited by Vassily - 03/23/2017 at 6:03pm
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2017 at 10:35pm
Stiga Airoc Astro S also plays well on the Acoustic. I think I like it better than MXP for the second ball and up. I'm still getting used to the catapult effect on my back spin serves.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2017 at 9:50am
Thank you to everyone for all the good points/suggestions. I am currently testing acoustic with Bryce HS and I really like it, it is hard for me to understand sometime the angles of acoustic... It is definitely different to play with than many other blades I played with, I feel like I have to close the angle/blade at the end of each stroke more than with other blades I played with before (Schalger carbon,viscaria, korbel). I will definitely try other suggested rubbers. thankls
YBFlash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YBFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2018 at 4:16am
Read somewhere that Rakza 7 goes good with Acoustic, but personally never tested it.
Today I'll try Tenergy 05 FX on my brand new Acoustic :) Will see how it plays...

Edited by YBFlash - 09/04/2018 at 4:16am
Blade: OSP Virtuoso+
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
YBFlash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YBFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 9:33am
So... Tenergy 05 FX is ok on 90g Acoustic, kinda juicy feeling, probably stronger players would prefer 05 over FX.
But I have to say the speed is pretty there. Very good speed for a 5ply all-wood blade! The best part of switching back to Acoustic from Garadya ZLC is performing flicks...
Amazing how easy to do any kind of flicks with Acoustic!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso+
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic