Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Making Waldner Off 2016 Special Edition work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fiveplyian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Waldner Off 2016 Special Edition work
    Posted: 03/29/2017 at 8:04am
Hi,

I am trying to make a Waldner OFF 2016 Special edition work and need help with rubbers or blade opinions. I am around 2100 standard with solid strokes that have just started to get lazy and a bit too brushy as I hit 50 years old. Allround topspin pressure on both wings but FH is stronger.

Firstly I like the smaller neck but it was too long in the head so the top has been reduced so that it's now 156-157mm long, neck and sides untouched. I have done this evenly by hand so it now balances better (its 84g straight).

I have tried Coppa X2 and JP03 so far on the blade but it was a horrible combination ..... way too soft. My previous preferences have been Waldner Senso V1, Korbel and Joola K5 which are all 5 ply Limba-Limba top plies. On the Limba-Limba blades I have a very consistent bounce that can be tuned with pretty much any rubber selection. With the Waldner 2016 I have a much slower first gear and faster top gear but with the softer rubbers it is either slow or fast with abrupt trajectory changes along with the speed changes. Basic throw of blade seems medium-low.

After a bit of reading around it feels exactly like some of the reported experiences with the Stiga Infinity VPS in light weight examples.

I have just tried a Mark V M2 on the blade and that behaves a lot better despite being super slow on BH blocks ( I can chop block / chop so easily as it really absorbs speed on this contact). I think I need a modern tensor that is not crazy fast but is very predictable with medium-high throw on the FH. I don't really want the 50g plus rubbers as I want to put something solid on the BH as well but with medium-low throw. Rakza 7 weight or slightly below would be ideal (more like 48g in 2mm).

Who has made this blade work and with what; or should I dump it and try something else ?

Thanks

Ian
Sponsored Links

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2017 at 8:24am
It's a good blade but indeed only works with harder rubbers (in my humble opinion at least).
Try Bluefire JP01, I liked it with that one. Vega Europe DF on the backhand was horrible tho. Tenergy 05 and MX-P should also work well. Rubbers which don't have that much catapult and are at least medium hardness.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2017 at 6:17pm
"I think I need a modern tensor that is not crazy fast but is very predictable with medium-high throw on the FH."

To me, Stiga Genesis M feels medium-hard with medium throw, and makes you work for the shot.  I don't think it is classed as tensor rubber, but it might suit your blade.  I have it on both sides of a Waldner WC 89 blade.
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2017 at 10:08pm
Hey fiveplyian,

When you say the Waldner OFF 2016 Special edition has a smaller neck, do you mean narrower than Waldner Senso Carbon ?  I found the WSC has a wide neck. Is it narrower than Waldner senso V1 ?
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2017 at 10:17pm
As a matter of fact, I will be testing this blade and the Waldner Senseo Carbon (both JO shape) in the next couple of weeks and thus trying different rubbers. 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2017 at 5:00am
I also tried both this winter, speed wasn't that different but the Waldner Offensive 2016 had a lot more vibration. Decided for the WSC tho, amazing blade. Played it before and in the JO Shape it rocks.
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2017 at 5:28am
Fiveplyian, I'd recommend for a cheap test that you try Vega Asia (non DF) on BH and Vega Pro on FH.

Not too hard, not too soft, throw higer on FH (high ish) than BH (med), powerful, linear, spinny, and reasonably durable.
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2017 at 5:50am
Yes, Vega Pro should be a good choice!
fiveplyian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2017 at 6:26am
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll start checking out reviews ....... neither Vega Pro or Genesis M would have been on my radar so that opens up some new options. JP01 was on my list already so good to get a recommendation.

Patrick .... I got the blade from TT11 so will be interesting to see the review and test from you.

Snakefish .... this blade is JO shape which has smaller neck / shoulders than standard donic. Head is longer though and I found that I could feel too much head  length at the table when using banana flicks or quick transition from FH to BH. I have small hands so I always have to sand the standard Donic straight handle and shoulders to get a good fit and use of my fingers and wrist.

Edited by fiveplyian - 03/30/2017 at 6:42am
Ian
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2017 at 7:10am
Tenergy 05/80 Bluefire JP01, Vega Pro, MX-S/MX-P will all work well. It does not make such a big difference if you choose between those. For slightly better performance maybe choose Tenergy, for cheaper alternative Vega Pro or MX-S.
ludo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2021 at 7:44pm
Interesting comments because the first time I tested that blade, it had Spinlord Tanuki on both sides. It's a very soft rubber and it seemed to play very well on it especially close to the table. It was lacking power (with Tanuki) away from the table but it's probably due to the softness of the rubbers.

ludo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by fiveplyian fiveplyian wrote:

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll start checking out reviews ....... neither Vega Pro or Genesis M would have been on my radar so that opens up some new options. JP01 was on my list already so good to get a recommendation.

Fiveplyian, what did you end up testing and playing with on that blade?
Thanks.

Edited by ludo - 10/08/2021 at 7:50pm
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2021 at 12:49am
I’m curious about how people feel the egg-head “JO Shape” changes the feel of the blade. Forum member, AMonteiro says it’s stiffer.  I think I concur from testing the Waldner Senso Carbons (Regular vs. JO Shape). The “sweet-spot” feels smaller to me on the JO-Shape, like you need to hit it on the widest part of the “egg” to get any catapult. 

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic