Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Lets and lets not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets and lets not
    Posted: 04/25/2017 at 1:24pm

How often has this happened: At an important, if not critical juncture in a match, someone puts up their hand or calls a stoppage in play, because of  borderline interference from another ball or player. It may be just a ball whizzing at the back of the player, or someone from another table making a sudden move that mildly distracted, perhaps, the player calling the let. It can be infuriating, because very often( not in all cases) it is the carelessness and/or laziness of someone, that caused that ball to come into the playing area. Once, it cost me a match, two people who were practising nearby, and not seriously at that, shot their ball into my table as i was about to win at match point, causing a technically justified let. Over the years, I've had about 50 points called back because of questionable lets. And people have pulled tantrums when I questioned a let or didn't take the initiative to stop the play. That's largely because in that exact situation, I wouldn't myself call a let! So I assume the point is good. In fact, the mini-tantrums I pull Smile are because lets are called, not the opposite. I would call a let if a player actually ran into me during the point, or if the balls collided( duh!), Not for just about anything else. And if a ball is wet( incidentally, does anyone know the ittf rule on wet balls during play) I would excuse it, in the hope that the next one would be okay- meaning that if the ball dropped on the floor and the point over, it's good, but please try to keep the following one dry.  It's probable that a large number, if not a majority of lets are not legit, if there was an umpire they wouldn't be called.
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 1:50pm
It's obvious that you are allowing them to affect you far too much. Accept it and move on.
Lets and calling of nets whether or not they are justified are part of the game of TT. The only way to bring some neutrality is to have all your matches played with 2 umpires overseeing. Otherwise.....
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 3:13pm
My approach is simple.  I'm very conservative about calling lets, but I'm very liberal at tolerating lets called by my opponents since I can't know the extent to which something is distracting.  I find that many of the players I play with will follow my lead in being hesitant to call lets. Aside from this, my only advice is to "let" it go when lets annoy you.  Failing to do that just amplifies the problem.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 3:39pm
" if there was an umpire they wouldn't be called"
from the above, I assume the match is not in a official tournament, at least not during  a high level round.
I have two comments:1) from what I see in the tournament videos any ball coming into the court is a let; 2) without a umpire you would have to respect your opponent's calls and if you feel he is taking advantage, don't play matches with him anymore.  there is nothing you can do and is only hurting yourself if you are upset about it.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 8:35pm
I am one of those people who call a let very rarely and unwillingly. 
At the same time, things like moved barriers, irregular cooling air flow, a very loud player at neighboring table, and of course balls flying in the court distract me hugely. 
My question is therefore a little different: how to overcome the hesitation one may have to call "lets" when they really should be called?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

I am one of those people who call a let very rarely and unwillingly. 
At the same time, things like moved barriers, irregular cooling air flow, a very loud player at neighboring table, and of course balls flying in the court distract me hugely. 
My question is therefore a little different: how to overcome the hesitation one may have to call "lets" when they really should be called?

The way I improved my let calling ability was by stopping and thinking after the point with the potential let: did this ball rolling under my feet distract me? More often than not I realized that yes, it did. So, now I do not try to be a hero and stop the play when there is a ball in the court on either side.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 10:22pm
Yep, it needs to be done that way... Thx.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 11:20pm
If you're really distracted, call a let. Sometimes you have to call 5 or more lets as you get ready to serve.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2017 at 2:07am
Korean amatures address these situations by a convention where it is only a let when you run int a player in an adjacent court or a ball from another court bounces on your table. That is it. EVERY thing else goes, to include players retrieving a ball from under your table during the rally, etc.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2017 at 5:51am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

If you're really distracted, call a let. Sometimes you have to call 5 or more lets as you get ready to serve.

There's no way that you were going to win that pointCry
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2017 at 9:17am
"It's obvious that you are allowing them to affect you far too much. Accept it and move on.
Lets and calling of nets whether or not they are justified are part of the game of TT. The only way to bring some neutrality is to have all your matches played with 2 umpires overseeing. Otherwise....."

Some opponents will call a let for the purpose of throwing you off. Really shitty and cheap way to play. The reality is that there are SOME players who have no sense of good sporstmanship. I suppose someone is gonna come and say, "just dont let that bother you and focus". Which I would agree with. But I still want to rant about the poor sportsmanship and thats what the internet is for.

FdT
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2017 at 10:28am
If there is a fun game next to a real game, I ask the fun players if they can move down a table, generally we will stop the point if a ball is in our area, more so others don't have to wait
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Korean amatures address these situations by a convention where it is only a let when you run int a player in an adjacent court or a ball from another court bounces on your table. That is it. EVERY thing else goes, to include players retrieving a ball from under your table during the rally, etc.

There is Korean TT club in Northern Virginia (KTTCW) that held these awesome tournaments.  First place was a plane ticket to Seoul.  The prizes were also great for lower rated events and doubles plus they included these great ramen noodles with your prize.  But they definitely operated under the "no harm, no foul, no blood, no ambulance" policy for calling lets.  I last played in 2013 and players reaching for a water bottle under my table during a point, walking around you, close call bumps, etc. were common.  If you were not mentally tough, no way you were gonna win that plane ticket.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2017 at 5:24pm
I think it depends on your style of play. If you are a mid distance or defense player, players moving near you or behind you can be tricky. You are wondering where they are and if you can move backwards or sideways without injuring yourself or some inconsiderate moron (majority of the TT players I would say are like a 2 year old kids chasing after a ball - with no regards to the players in the middle of the rally).

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Some opponents will call a let for the purpose of throwing you off. Really shitty and cheap way to play. The reality is that there are SOME players who have no sense of good sporstmanship. I suppose someone is gonna come and say, "just dont let that bother you and focus". Which I would agree with. But I still want to rant about the poor sportsmanship and thats what the internet is for.
FdT

... that is exactly why I have found it difficult to call lets so far, but it becomes more and more obvious that not calling a let leads to more trouble.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2017 at 10:25am
I am more willing to call a let the earlier / more even a point is.

If someones serving and something mildly distracts me [i.e. i think a ball is coming to our court, but it might not], i'll just call a let. I'm not doing anything but removing the unnatural reduction in my chance of winning a point. [i.e. if i'd normally win 40% of points against this players serve, by calling a let as he is serving, the distraction might lower this to 25%. All I'm doing is resetting it to 40% as i've not hit it yet and would do it regardless of which of his serves he does].

If someone's smashing me [as an attacking player, i'm poor at playing defensively away from the table] and there's the same mild interference, i'm getting a reduction of say 15% equity in the point, to maybe 12%. Not that fair to call a let in that case.

So, there's that consideration too. Some people will obviously attempt to gain small advantages by not calling lets when they are winning a point / calling frivolous ones when they are losing points, but these people are few and far between.

Yeah, i think you may be making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes, some games will always be close / decided by a bit of luck but in that case, improve so at least you can beat that player even when the tides against you.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic