Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anything worth buying in japan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
andywang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andywang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anything worth buying in japan?
    Posted: 05/08/2017 at 9:46pm
Hi guys. So my cousin is planning on going to Japan for the summer, and he was wondering if I wanted anything from a TT store or someplace. Are the rubbers cheaper in japan and is there anything that is worth buying there? Also any store recommendations?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 11:13pm
Rubber price is nearly the same.

Shoes !!!!! especially Mizuno
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 11:32pm
I have heard that the japanese tenergy is of higher quality, i m not sure if its true.
LNH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LNH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 12:37am
Asics do have some great TT shoe but their biggest size is 28 cm.  Checkout the Vistas Shirt too.  You can browse around at the iruiru website. 
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 1:30am
Kokutaku jpens
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 2:17am
Originally posted by LNH LNH wrote:

Asics do have some great TT shoe but their biggest size is 28 cm.  Checkout the Vistas Shirt too.  You can browse around at the iruiru website. 
Yes, Asics Attack Excounter. You can buy it only in Japan.
LNH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LNH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 3:10am
If you have extra budget, you may consider the top of the line ASICS BLADELYTE 3.  This Asics shoe is made from the same factory in Indonesia for discontinued  Butterfly energy force 12 shoe.  Yes, it is expensive but is worth it.
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 3:42am
Buy yinhe blades with jttaa tag
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 3:53am
I wouldn't​ miss the chance to have some of those gorgeous Asics Bladelyte, or Excounter. Japan seems to be the only place they exist
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 3:56am
The rare Victas stuff that can only be found in Japan.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 7:54am
Finezip is probably cheap
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 8:26am
When you get there.....you will see that it will be more about finding or getting things that are only available in Japan market.  Your ideas will blossom when you go looking around.  
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 9:01am
Blades are cheaper.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 9:09am
Blades are usually cheaper especially jpens.I just got a new Butterfly Gmax for $240 shipped. Typically they go for $320-350+ in the US.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 9:22am
I second the answer with the Mizuno shoes!!

Also, it's hard to know for someone who has never been to Japan (and wants to!)
Perhaps some training material as well? dvd's will probably have a different region code, but I found a player that can play that region code here in Canada pretty easily. Just go to Chinatown. Or kijiji.

As for blades, how will your friend know what to buy? and how will he be able to tell if it is counterfeit or not? I might just stick to Gundam figures and Mizunos!

https://24.media.tumblr.com/77bac22da2bf609f0ad2690ed09490af/tumblr_mxbk2ftpvb1qbpki9o1_500.jpg

FdT
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 9:31am
Acura's are cheaper there too
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

I second the answer with the Mizuno shoes!!

Also, it's hard to know for someone who has never been to Japan (and wants to!)
Perhaps some training material as well? dvd's will probably have a different region code, but I found a player that can play that region code here in Canada pretty easily. Just go to Chinatown. Or kijiji.

As for blades, how will your friend know what to buy? and how will he be able to tell if it is counterfeit or not? I might just stick to Gundam figures and Mizunos!

https://24.media.tumblr.com/77bac22da2bf609f0ad2690ed09490af/tumblr_mxbk2ftpvb1qbpki9o1_500.jpg

FdT

From what I could see the times I have been there, I think you are much less likely to find fake stuff in TT shops in Japan than in other places.  But Butterfly stuff for sure will not be cheaper.  The advantage is you can pick a blade from a group if you are there in person and you will find lots of blades that are  little harder to find elsewhere (Darker for example).  Forget shoes if you are bigger than a 28 or clothes if you are bigger than a US size L shirt.

I like Japan a lot.  Great food, lots to see.  But I usually bring home more TT stuff from Germany.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 12:43pm
I have physically been to TT-Japan and Kokusai TT.  Both are nice stores with plenty of stock on everything.  If you are looking for TT specific clothes and shoes, the TT stores have them.  The prices are basically equivalent to the US, give or take either way.  You can find STs and ANs if you look, but FLs dominate.  What's nice is you can usually select from a few examples of each model you are looking for.

Sports Depo (like the Japanese version of a "Dick's Sporting Goods") sells lots of sports clothing that you cannot find in the USA.  They also have a great shoe section (inclusive of badminton/volleyball/indoor soccer shows), and lots of sports apparel for all different sports.  They also sell TT stuff, but obviously not as comprehensively as an actual TT store.

:)

Edited by in2spin - 05/09/2017 at 12:44pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

Sports Depo (like the Japanese version of a "Dick's Sporting Goods") sells lots of sports clothing that you cannot find in the USA.  They also have a great shoe section (inclusive of badminton/volleyball/indoor soccer shows), and lots of sports apparel for all different sports.  They also sell TT stuff, but obviously not as comprehensively as an actual TT store.
I would add some other stores like Sports Depo. My favorite is Sports Authority. Then there are Xebio Sports, Himaraya and Sports Alpen. For quality shoes or clothing you can´t go wrong at these places.
I particularly like Yonex badminton shoes, they are great for table tennis.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I particularly like Yonex badminton shoes, they are great for table tennis.

I agree with you and use them since many years exclusively but you can get them here in the US.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 7:32pm
depending on the area, usually the smaller local store has unbeatable price. I just bought a xiom vega intro for 2400 yen, and feint long at 1400 yen.

Japan usually has much lower cheaper price on pip rubber. They also has the rare brand like Armstrong.

But I definitely recommend TSP product if it is in Osaka area, TSP items are way cheaper in Osaka.
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
Shiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 8:12pm
Rubber prices are only a little bit cheaper. My cousin went there and found tenergy for $70. Its only 5 dollar cheaper but hey the quality might be a lot different. 
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 8:38pm
Mizuno shoes for sure, I got the kaiserburg 4s there and it is the best shoe I have had the pleasure of playing in. Beautiful to look at too in my opinion
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

I have physically been to TT-Japan and Kokusai TT.  Both are nice stores with plenty of stock on everything.  If you are looking for TT specific clothes and shoes, the TT stores have them.  The prices are basically equivalent to the US, give or take either way.  You can find STs and ANs if you look, but FLs dominate.  What's nice is you can usually select from a few examples of each model you are looking for.

I9 would look for clippers if hirano likes to play with clipper over japanese blades they should be better I wonder if anybody has tried both versions
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 1:07pm

Not saying Stiga cannot be found....however, it seems like there are lots of other product brands, besides Stiga in Japan

Edited by in2spin - 05/10/2017 at 1:08pm
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by andywang andywang wrote:

Hi guys. So my cousin is planning on going to Japan for the summer, and he was wondering if I wanted anything from a TT store or someplace. Are the rubbers cheaper in japan and is there anything that is worth buying there? Also any store recommendations?

Thanks!!

A clubmate traveled to Seoul, Korea and he had a blast TT shopping.  He bought a bunch of stuff but I was most impressed with a Champion blade that he bought.  It looked and played like a 5-ply Hinoki with cork handle but it was a shakehand blade, not penhold.  I have searched for it online but have not been able to find it.

So I would recommend the not so usual brands (ex. Mizuno makes blades too) and be aware of models that are local releases.  I would bet there are some Mizuno or TSP blades that are only available in Japan.  Of course, your cousin would have to know what he's doing.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 3:38pm
http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/EZfan/media/Racket%20Collection/Old%20Butterfly%20Racket/IMG_4699a_zpsa6a4qnga.jpg.html

Ive never been able to find something like this!

FdT
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/EZfan/media/Racket%20Collection/Old%20Butterfly%20Racket/IMG_4699a_zpsa6a4qnga.jpg.html

Ive never been able to find something like this!

FdT

Butterfly Anatomic? When? Some 40 years ago?
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 4:59pm
That particular one has a knot in the low part of the fh face.....is that a good look or not...

I've actually hit one of those

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2017 at 9:36am
"Butterfly Anatomic? When? Some 40 years ago?"

So? What does it matter when it came out? It is a collectors item, FYI.
You seem to be under the impression that newer things are by definition better than older things. This is an example of an "Appeal to novelty" fallacy, otherwise known as Adgumentum ad novitatem.

FdT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic