Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st rule of EJing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 1:02am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

My first rule of being an ej- "it is better to be an ej than do drugs."

Probably true, but bear in mind what Frewheelin' Frank Freakears of Gilbert Shelton's Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers had to say on the subject of drugs:  "Drugs will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no drugs".
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 1:40am
More broadly, "only change one thing at a time".  If you are testing out rubbers, compare them on the same kind of blade.  If you are testing blades, use the same rubber.  Amazing how often people don't do this.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 3:07am

that's what I tell my kids, well at least I don't go to the pub every night
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

More broadly, "only change one thing at a time".  If you are testing out rubbers, compare them on the same kind of blade.  If you are testing blades, use the same rubber.  Amazing how often people don't do this.

yes this is the second law of EJing
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 3:08am
I think about all my friends who stick to only one setup for so many years for the lack of funds to buy new gear; and how easily these people can beat me cause they "stuck" with their equipment.

While I have acquired and sold or gave away about 20 blades and countless rubbers in the past 4 years. Cry
Now I'm down to just 4 favorite blades 2 wood and 2 carbon and yet my game still suck. Cry
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 3:13am
the 2 best players I know locally use the same blade they have for the last 30 years.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 10:27am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

Actually your first rule is just a special case of my more general rule.  But yes it is the second rule.  The first rule is "don't be an EJ".
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 12:28pm
Baal where is the like button?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 3:50pm
If your plan is to find a racket that better suits your playing style, try this for EJ-ing on a budget:
  1. decide what you don't like about your current racket
  2. get information: talk to your coach/other players, test their rackets, read reviews, ask
  3. choose a next racket (blade + rubbers)
  4. whenever possible trade, don't buy
  5. assemble your new racket
  6. compare your new racket to the previous
  7. decide which racket to keep
  8. iterate from the beginning and sell/trade use blade/rubbers of the racket you decided not to keep
In this way you'll never own more than 2 blades and 4 rubbers at any given time.
I managed to do so for a while, then things got a bit out of control and I decided to stop.

If you EJ out of curiosity or are a collector, then the method does not apply and you may need professional help to quit. Big smile

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 4:21pm

Actually your first rule is just a special case of my more general rule.  But yes it is the second rule.  The first rule is "don't be an EJ".

No.  That's the first rule of Table Tennis.  ;^)

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 6:04pm
well the allround evolution felt wonderful in first practice with el-s on fh.
not sure about H3-50 on bh.
allround evolution for me was more consistent and stable than TSPW, I think clearly EL-S is a more stable rubber than Tenergy though too.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 8:19pm
Shall we make 3 laws of EJing a la Newton's three laws of motion?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 10:30pm
Or the three laws of thermodynamics.

1. You can't win.
2. You can't even break even except at absolute zero.
3. There is no such thing as absolute zero.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 3:57am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Shall we make 3 laws of EJing a la Newton's three laws of motion?

I was going to write out twelve complete steps, but got bored so just wrote one and went and looked at some blade and rubber reviews instead.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 4:33am
My first rule - always start at the bottom of the myTT index page, and then work your way up.

Am I doing this right?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 5:51am
personally I always start at the top
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 9:40am
So I have used the stiga allround evolution and nothing else for a whole week now.
I have used el-s on my fh for over a week now and nothing else.

hmmmm! backhand

hurricane 3-50
yasaka rising dragon
hurricane 3 neo
hurricane 3 2.0mm (I really like this on my stratus but awful on the SAE)
hurricane 3 neo

wow table tennis equipment is annoying!

I guess you could say im 2/3rds there
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 5:38am
back to ejing, the trouble is wither a slower more controllable set up, is your opponent has slower more controllable balls to deal with.

back to the stratus, the search continues.

can anyone recommend a good carbon blade, not too fast.
what would be a modern joola rossi emotion?
carbon and off- but controllable
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 12:52pm

back to ejing, the trouble is wither a slower more controllable set up, is your opponent has slower more controllable balls to deal with.

Sounds reasonable in theory, but in actual matches I notice three things.

1) A slow blade can hit fast.  It just requires a bit more effort and or better technique.

2) In the 2000 rating and below categories, I see far more points lost than I see points won. Or to put it in tennis terms, I see few winners and and many unforced errors.

3) Off-speed balls can be as hard to deal with as can ripped, spinny, loops - especially if off-speed balls are placed well. 

So as a practical matter, I think most players are better served by playing a more controlled and less aggressive game using a slower racket.
Of course, this is operating on the narrow assumption that winning is the top priority.  I realize that for some, that is not the case.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 3:06pm
I think I want to stop worrying about winning. Hit the ball really hard and fast and have a bit of exercise and take it less seriously.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 3:49pm

I think I want to stop worrying about winning. Hit the ball really hard and fast and have a bit of exercise and take it less seriously.

Ah.  Then you want a slow blade. It makes you work harder to hit hard.  Better exercise.  :^)

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Sounds reasonable in theory, but in actual matches I notice three things.

1) A slow blade can hit fast.  It just requires a bit more effort and or better technique.

2) In the 2000 rating and below categories, I see far more points lost than I see points won. Or to put it in tennis terms, I see few winners and and many unforced errors.

3) Off-speed balls can be as hard to deal with as can ripped, spinny, loops - especially if off-speed balls are placed well. 

So as a practical matter, I think most players are better served by playing a more controlled and less aggressive game using a slower racket.
Of course, this is operating on the narrow assumption that winning is the top priority.  I realize that for some, that is not the case.
To be fair, I had a Korbel that was 95g and I found it to be really slow, even with Tenergy on both sides. As you said, it depends on your level, but also your playing style - blockers and counter attackers can handle stiffer, faster blades more so than spin oriented loopers.

Edited by SmackDAT - 05/25/2017 at 3:56pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

To be fair, I had a Korbel that was 95g and I found it to be really slow, even with Tenergy on both sides. As you said, it depends on your level, but also your playing style - blockers and counter attackers can handle stiffer, faster blades more so than spin oriented loopers.

Yes.  My point is a generalization. I think it applies to most players, but certainly not to all of them.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 4:43pm

Not a bad option, mog1111.  But if you really want some exercise practice chopping fh and bh, having to slide side to side, dash up and back, feather back short pushes and drop shots, staying in a point for 15-20 shots (which used to be the norm), and stepping in to cream any weak or unexpectedly high topspin your opponent gives you.  A point is a point is a point.  The ball doesn't care.  Let your opponent commit suicide.  This can be psychologically satisfying, plus you don't have to hit the ball really hard all the time.

Unfortunately, with today's turbocharged rubbers, this way to play, once the style of champions with cigarette busting control, has become as extinct as a passenger pigeon.  But if you still want a bit of exercise and don't care too much whether you win or lose, by all means have a go.  You can still hit the ball hard and fast, and even the loopiest looper will give you a bunny to crush every now and then.

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/25/2017 at 4:44pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 4:48pm

And you think this is what a faster blade does for you I suppose. Only if you play off the table. Close to the table you need something slower to hit the ball harder unless you block. Also, remember that the faster you release the ball, the faster it comes back at you and the less time you have to reset. This is one of the reasons why many lower rated players struggle with faster blades vs better players, they don't recover fast enough no matter what they use. Faster often means faster vs topspin, slower vs backspin.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 7:04pm
yes I get that, but I need something sharp enough so when I take the ball early I feel like its moving fast enough. im not worried about reaction time. once the glue had dried and the euphoria of new equipment wore off on the sae I did not like the feel of how it played. I blocked too much and had to hit too hard somehow.

I enjoyed the sharp feel of the rossi emotion a year or two back which is as you know carbon but not too fast.
im only thinking wsc or something in that ball park not primorac carbon

I used to take the ball early and drive, I can loop a bit but im not good enough so I feel to play to my strengths and improve my weakness a good feeling off- ish carbon blade will make me feel good when im playing. im 47 I should compete with vets not juniors and this feels the way forward
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 9:00am

These are the words I live by.

mog1111, have you tried the Stiga Clipper Wood?  I've been switching back and forth between two blades (a 7-ply carbon and a 5-ply all wood) I own but relentlessly researching other blades in pursuit of something 'better'.  Eventually I just decided on the Clipper since it took generic qualities (dwell of all wood, some 'sturdiness' of a 7-ply) I liked in both.

I figured if it's good enough for majority of players it's good enough for me.  It also has a very reasonable price tag. LOL

I haven't had much time to play with it but so far so good.

Edited by iamj8 - 05/27/2017 at 9:01am
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 1:26pm
I tried a clipper clone and a samsanov force pro but they don't quite seem to be for me, but both good blades and I can see why people like them
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2017 at 4:10am
Be sure your wife does not find out!
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2017 at 6:05am
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic