Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Xiom Vega Intro vs TSP Gambit Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Vega Intro vs TSP Gambit Review
    Posted: 05/25/2017 at 9:26pm
Hi all,

Recently, I have seen couple new allround offensive rubber that came out from big companies. Ever since the plastic balls, all my older generation of control allround rubbers has been outclassed too much with plastic balls. Unfortunately, the price of new rubbers has been high. Recently, there are new reasonable price rubbers. So, I get my hand on couple of them to see what is what. I am a chopper that does 50/50 chop/attack.

Lets start with

Xiom Vega intro.

I have been using Vega Europe, but the price is still a bit high when I wear them off too much. So, the first one I tried was the Vega intro. Vega intro out of package looks very ugly. look like a moon's surface, but it plays fine. It is listed 47.5 degree on the website, but it didn't feel that way. (Xiom pro and Asia are listed as 47.5 degree, but it feels softer than them)

It has a typical high tension german rubber feel to it. It remind me of the donic F3 in the old time. Speed isn't that exceptional. But it definitely is way faster than my previous generation allround rubber like tackiess D. Spin is decent; control isn't bad. great for allround looper.

let's move on

TSP Gambit,

This is a new kid on the block, supposed to be a new Japanese allround rubber. It is very different from the Vega series. It has sharp feel to the rubber. It has extreme precise feel to it. It has similar feel to the Sriver with a little bit of speed glue in the old days. It isn't as soft as I expect. It definitely feel way harder than 40 degree that it listed. Speed is decent enough to finish the shot, looping is not as good. It likes smashing more than looping because the direct feels to it.

Put all in comparison. including a classic tackiness Drive

Speed, Vega intro > Gambit > Tackiness D
Spin, Vega Intro > Gambit > Tackiness D
Control, Gambit > Vega intro > Tackiness D

The price of all three are comparable.

If you go control two wing control loop like Timo boll, get Vega intro.
If you want to out rally and smash like the old time player Jorgen Persson, Gambit is good choice.

Old generation Allround had serve me well for decades, from 38 mm era, to 40mm era, unfortunately, I really don't think it holds a candle in plastic ball era.

I hope this helps people who want decent equipment at a affordable price.

Edited by a23096713 - 05/25/2017 at 9:27pm
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2017 at 3:39am
Thanks for the reviews of these new rubbers a23096713, it's the first ones I've seen! Thumbs Up

You mentioned the Vega Into looked ugly, was it just something on the surface, or did it just look like poor quality?
There are some pics on the xiom site, they are supposed to look like this:

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2017 at 7:16am

I am not sure why the Xiom photo has very different sponge colour.
But as you can see from my picture, it looks very uneven. It came out of package that way.

I went couple stores for lowest price, so I have seen enough that I know it is white sponge. Unless they use a different sponge in japan. It is very unlikely.

Edited by a23096713 - 05/26/2017 at 7:19am

TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2017 at 7:32am
Sorry, I forget to mention. It just the appearance of it. I touch the surface, roll the ball, show it local coaches. I find it interesting that it is just the appearance. Both coaches that I talked with don't seem to bother by its appearance, and both of them tried it and say it play fine.

TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2017 at 7:36am
Thanks for that!

Yes the different sponge colour is odd... I doubt they'd have different sponges for different regions... perhaps the sheet in my picture was a sample created just for photography.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2017 at 7:49am
Maybe, after all, despite the price is 33% less than other Vega, if it looks ugly like the real product, I highly doubt people would buy it.

It could be possible that prototype uses a different sponge.

TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic