Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ping pong the smart way Pushblocker vs defender
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ping pong the smart way Pushblocker vs defender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ping pong the smart way Pushblocker vs defender
    Posted: 05/31/2017 at 4:30pm

Edited by ChichoFicho - 05/31/2017 at 4:49pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2017 at 5:02pm
Sorry, but I could not even get to the end of the first game.Sleepy
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2017 at 8:57pm
Very good game! Enjoyed every second of it. It wasn't pushblocker's day as a lot of loops went long. Great mind game...
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2017 at 9:48pm
interesting match.. It was decided by unforced errors.. Pushblocker would have been better off attacking less. He missed too many shots..
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

interesting match.. It was decided by unforced errors.. Pushblocker would have been better off attacking less. He missed too many shots..

I think a different way. 

He was loop only one time then turn back to block again that will give the opponent a chance to push the ball back and back to the safety position.

Luckily, another player didn't play well also. He needs to keep practice forehand loop if he wants to improve to next level. Depend to the backhand is not going anywhere.

He is not good defense like you, pushblocker so he needs attack before they attack him. The last game he loose because he starts chop block more than forehand loop, he needs more aggressive in the game.

Edited by TTHOUSTON - 05/31/2017 at 11:21pm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2017 at 10:34pm
Very good match, PB, thanks for posting. Smart playing. Both players are at a very decent level. 

- I am a little puzzled by the info box on the screen saying that the winner (Kalaczevskiy) played with    Dornenglanz 2 on one side and Tenergy 05 on the other, do I get it right? Please correct me.
- The pb defender is a very skilled LP player, however he seems to have run out of steam after game 4,    maybe his backbone scoliosis is in part responsible for this?
- It would be very interesting to see a match between the pb defnder guy and Stefan Kostadinovic...

Edited by JacekGM - 05/31/2017 at 10:36pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 12:37am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Very good match, PB, thanks for posting. Smart playing. Both players are at a very decent level. 

- I am a little puzzled by the info box on the screen saying that the winner (Kalaczevskiy) played with    Dornenglanz 2 on one side and Tenergy 05 on the other, do I get it right? Please correct me.
- The pb defender is a very skilled LP player, however he seems to have run out of steam after game 4,    maybe his backbone scoliosis is in part responsible for this?
- It would be very interesting to see a match between the pb defnder guy and Stefan Kostadinovic...

As a note, Luka (the push blocker) plays with frictionless anti spin in thick sponge.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 12:39am

Pushblocker, did you ever try frictionless anti spin for your type of game? 

I know your style gets a lot of negative comments! But it's one of my favorites to watch, and I've been trying to model a bit of my playing after yours -- using frictionless anti spin though. Do you think that is still doable, or are the LP required? 
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 2:58am
I think our pushblocker is a much better than the blue pushblocker.  Many of blues pb's were high.  With a consistent loop blue would do much better.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I think our pushblocker is a much better than the blue pushblocker.  Many of blues pb's were high.  With a consistent loop blue would do much better.

Luka is WR 410 or so (perhaps ~2600 USATT?), just won his qualifying group at WTTC and lost in the first round to WR86 Cho Seungmin 3:4. So, he's pretty decent. Big smile
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Pushblocker, did you ever try frictionless anti spin for your type of game? 

I know your style gets a lot of negative comments! But it's one of my favorites to watch, and I've been trying to model a bit of my playing after yours -- using frictionless anti spin though. Do you think that is still doable, or are the LP required? 
Tried frictionless anti and it is great for blocking but sucks for aggressive pushing. My weapon is not my block but my aggressive push off the bounce and I can't do that shot with frictionless anti.. 

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 9:44am
Originally posted by TTHOUSTON TTHOUSTON wrote:

I think a different way. 

He was loop only one time then turn back to block again that will give the opponent a chance to push the ball back and back to the safety position.

Luckily, another player didn't play well also. He needs to keep practice forehand loop if he wants to improve to next level. Depend to the backhand is not going anywhere.

He is not good defense like you, pushblocker so he needs attack before they attack him. The last game he loose because he starts chop block more than forehand loop, he needs more aggressive in the game.

I personally try do dare the defender to attack me to get him to beat himself. Neither of the 2 players in the match had a consistent attacking game..
A few years ago, I played a really good defender who rarely makes mistakes. I gave him tons of medium high semi lobs to get him to attack me. He had 1mm sponged chinese rubber on the forehand and it was easy for me to block his attacks. I won as I got him to attack and he missed more than he scored when attacking.. 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 9:50am

I think that both of those guys are better than I am. They have more variation in their shots than I do.. I'm not playing as strong as I used to.. I don't even practice anymore.. I just play tournaments.. My rating is only 2137 now... a far cry from the 2200's and even 2300's I used to be..

Edited by Pushblocker - 06/01/2017 at 9:50am

clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 6:06pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5o93UYTIn8&feature=youtu.be

No disrespect to pushblocker but here is the link with Lupa Mladenovic (blue pushblocker) beating Kanak Jha (ustta rating 2670)  at the 2016 WTTC.  Just a few skill levels up.  Just goes to show how inaccurate our rating estimations are on this forum!

Edited by clannewton - 06/01/2017 at 6:08pm
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by clannewton clannewton wrote:

No disrespect to pushblocker but here is the link with Lupa Mladenovic (blue pushblocker) beating Kanak Jha (ustta rating 2670)  at the 2016 WTTC.  Just a few skill levels up.  Just goes to show how inaccurate our rating estimations are on this forum!

Pushblocking is a hard to estimate style.... Nobody would believe that I topped 2300's with that style.. Well, at least during the time that I was still practicing, I was able to maintain 2200 level for years..and if people would watch me, they thought that I was 1700. When I saw that match, it was clear to me that both players were well above my level..

Edited by Pushblocker - 06/01/2017 at 7:51pm

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 8:04pm

As a note, Luka (the push blocker) plays with frictionless anti spin in thick sponge.

Okay, thank you for the correction. And how about the info about Kalaczevskiy playing with Dornenglanz 2 on his BH, is this real?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 10:39pm

Okay, thank you for the correction. And how about the info about Kalaczevskiy playing with Dornenglanz 2 on his BH, is this real?

It is, AFAIK - I think he does have sponge under it, though (custom glued, DGII comes only in OX, I believe). There are tons of his videos with stated equipment on tt-maximum YT channel.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 10:48pm

Pushblocking is a hard to estimate style.... Nobody would believe that I topped 2300's with that style.. Well, at least during the time that I was still practicing, I was able to maintain 2200 level for years..and if people would watch me, they thought that I was 1700. When I saw that match, it was clear to me that both players were well above my level..

As a random observation - at one point after watching several Pushblocker's videos, I decided to see for myself how hard it is to play this style - blocking/pushing off the bounce. it was very hard to keep blocks low and short - requires a lot of touch. Gave me new appreciation to the skill one must have to play that way. Clap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 11:52pm

Very tough style to do well! It's one of those that looks easy, but when you're blocking/pushing 90%+ of the time... you need to be on point! Placement and variation wise. Guys like Liu Song do the push block/chopblock on backhand, but dominate with the forehand mainly. They wouldn't get nearly that far using the LP predominately. Similar to how classical defenders have a tougher time advancing. The defensive styles with very little attacking are all like that. 

And they're a pain to play against LOL those rascals will test your consistency like no other... 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2017 at 1:57am

Very tough style to do well! It's one of those that looks easy, but when you're blocking/pushing 90%+ of the time... you need to be on point! Placement and variation wise. Guys like Liu Song do the push block/chopblock on backhand, but dominate with the forehand mainly. They wouldn't get nearly that far using the LP predominately. Similar to how classical defenders have a tougher time advancing. The defensive styles with very little attacking are all like that. 

And they're a pain to play against LOL those rascals will test your consistency like no other... 
For me, the key is the aggressive push. Any 2000+ player should not have a problem with the blocks, however, a fast, aggressive, off the bounce push can control the game. A push is usually a defensive shot, but good pushblockers will use it as an offensive weapon..

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2017 at 12:20pm

For me, the key is the aggressive push. Any 2000+ player should not have a problem with the blocks, however, a fast, aggressive, off the bounce push can control the game. A push is usually a defensive shot, but good pushblockers will use it as an offensive weapon..

Do you mean the push against backspin? So you'd be returning a relatively fast top spin shot coming off your LP? 

Basic strategy would be to block their top spin attack -- force them to push back the return -- then you hit an aggressive push from that back spin ball of theirs? 

Similar to that section of the video (using anti)? 

Edited by obesechopper - 06/02/2017 at 12:25pm
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2017 at 4:33pm
Luka Mladenovic's  rating should be 2700+.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2017 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

It is, AFAIK - I think he does have sponge under it, though (custom glued, DGII comes only in OX, I believe). There are tons of his videos with stated equipment on tt-maximum YT channel.

Thank you very much. Kalaczewskiy 's got a game... Wink

BTW, is this still an ITTF approved rubber sheet if one glues the topsheet on a thicker sponge than that commercially offered? I am inclined to think it is not...
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2017 at 9:04pm

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Thank you very much. Kalaczewskiy 's got a game... Wink

BTW, is this still an ITTF approved rubber sheet if one glues the topsheet on a thicker sponge than that commercially offered? I am inclined to think it is not...

ITTF approves topsheets, not sponges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic