Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A tip to make the most of your rubber's surface
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A tip to make the most of your rubber's surface

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A tip to make the most of your rubber's surface
    Posted: 06/24/2017 at 7:44pm
So a lot of rubbers have a logo that is large and eats up the usable surface area above it. Even if it isn't that large there's often still empty space below. Butterfly rubbers do a pretty good job of minimizing this but most other companies seem to have excess space.

What I usually do is identify the lowest marking on the rubber surface. This is usually the rubber name or the ITTF ID number. I then get a ruler/straight edge and align it with the lowest marking. With either a scalpel or an exacto knife I then cut off the excess rubber below the lowest marking cutting with the topsheet face up, lowering the logo and increasing the usable rubber surface above.

Let me show you what I mean with a sheet of Omega V Asia:

This is the bottom of the sheet prior to cutting. Notice the empty space below where it says Asia/ below the alignment arrows.

This is the rubber after cutting. Notice the markings have been lowered and will now be flush with the handle. There is now a little more usable space above.

VERY IMPORTANT! If you are using an oversized blade, check to make sure that you will have enough usable rubber left over to remove the bottom strip. If you don't have enough usable rubber left over you will have exposed wood at the top. You will then have to create a gap between the handle and the rubber to cover the wood at the top. This defeats the purpose of cutting the bottom in the first place. I use a Joo Saehyuk blade and when I cut my Omega V rubbers like this it leaves me with exactly enough usable rubber. If my blade was even half a millimeter longer I wouldn't be able to cut off as much as I do.

I realize this doesn't make a big difference in play but even if it helps you win 1 out of a 1000 points it is worth doing. As long as you have enough usable rubber it can't hurt and can only help, even if slightly.

Edited by GeneralSpecific - 06/24/2017 at 8:04pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 7:55pm
Or switch to a different rubber with different lower markings :p
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Or switch to a different rubber with different lower markings :p

Haha, I would have to consider that poor advice!
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 8:28pm
Maybe the ball hitting the logo was the winning shot
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Maybe the ball hitting the logo was the winning shot

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 2:53am
What I often do is I attach the rubber to a wooden table tennis blade and then proceed to hit a table tennis ball just after or before my opponent.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 3:19am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

it might become a little less head heavy having brought the admittedly heavier logo part closer to the handle 

I mean technically it is less head heavy. I couldn't say how many nanograms but hey it's technically something.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 4:11am
Or you can simply fit the rubber around the handle. This adds rubber real estate to the blade for those near handle hitsWink

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Or you can simply fit the rubber around the handle. This adds rubber real estate to the blade for those near handle hits

Ha cheeky
But that does come at the expense of slightly added weight!
Tongue
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
CSBV View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CSBV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 5:12am
Why even bother. When you hit the bal with the logo part it was a poor shot anyway.
Gewo Dynatec ZV; Gewo Nexxus 48EL; Gewo Nexxus 48EL
Custom blade; Sanwei Target 90; Sanwei Target 90
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 5:57am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

So a lot of rubbers have a logo that is large and eats up the usable surface area above it. Even if it isn't that large there's often still empty space below. Butterfly rubbers do a pretty good job of minimizing this but most other companies seem to have excess space.

What I usually do is identify the lowest marking on the rubber surface. This is usually the rubber name or the ITTF ID number. I then get a ruler/straight edge and align it with the lowest marking. With either a scalpel or an exacto knife I then cut off the excess rubber below the lowest marking cutting with the topsheet face up, lowering the logo and increasing the usable rubber surface above.

Let me show you what I mean with a sheet of Omega V Asia:

This is the bottom of the sheet prior to cutting. Notice the empty space below where it says Asia/ below the alignment arrows.

This is the rubber after cutting. Notice the markings have been lowered and will now be flush with the handle. There is now a little more usable space above.

VERY IMPORTANT! If you are using an oversized blade, check to make sure that you will have enough usable rubber left over to remove the bottom strip. If you don't have enough usable rubber left over you will have exposed wood at the top. You will then have to create a gap between the handle and the rubber to cover the wood at the top. This defeats the purpose of cutting the bottom in the first place. I use a Joo Saehyuk blade and when I cut my Omega V rubbers like this it leaves me with exactly enough usable rubber. If my blade was even half a millimeter longer I wouldn't be able to cut off as much as I do.

I realize this doesn't make a big difference in play but even if it helps you win 1 out of a 1000 points it is worth doing. As long as you have enough usable rubber it can't hurt and can only help, even if slightly.

You are supposed to be hitting the ball with the sweet spot and get better and better at doing that as you become more advanced. 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 6:20am
You are supposed to, yes absolutely. However, like I said, maybe this might help you win an extra 1 out of 1000 points MAYBE. You are supposed to hit the sweet spot but sometimes even Ma Long might have a bad stroke and hit off center. It doesn't hurt to do even if it never ends up helping.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 6:23am
Hitting the ball with the wrist might help you win points too.  May be we should practice that as well?LOL
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 7:10am
When did I ever say to intentionally hit off center or to practice hitting off center? When I say this has the possibility to maybe win you a point, it is because you are minimizing the risk of hitting an uneven surface, the logo, in the event of an off center mis-hit.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 8:05am
I have never hit the ball with the logo. And for as many mishits as i do it must be more like 1 in a trillion.

I do remember reading a tip that w ling pips you could tru and serve w the flat logo area and get more spin, but even trying that on purpose was neigh unto impossible.

I have ni problem w people doing it for cosmetic reasons though.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I have ni problem w people doing it for cosmetic reasons though.

Good point! I also like the look
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic