FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New FH Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bert_A View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New FH Rubber
    Posted: 07/23/2017 at 10:38pm
Dear,

My skill level is intermediate. To make this more clear, about 40% of all players registered in my country are better than me.
At this moment my equipment is:
I have an allround playstyle, more defensively with BH, more offensively/topspin oriented wtih FH. I like to build up the point with pushes/blocks, to attack as soon as I get the chance with topspin (mostly with FH).

I was/am very happy with Adidas P7. The rubber combined lots of spin with very good control, but also flat hits and pushes were easy to execute. Unfortunately, Adidas quit their table tennis equipment, so I have to look for a new FH rubber. 

1. Do you know any alternatives for Adidas P7? if so, also an indication of the thickness would be nice.

From experience, I can block balls from my opponent less well when he's playing with rubbers with a catapult effect. It's appealing to try this kind of rubber (maybe it influences my game positively?). Ofcourse there is the Tenergy series. But I don't know if the combination of my OSP Expert+ blade with e.g. Tenergy 05-fx would be a good fit. Tenergy isn't cheap so I keep asking myself this question.
2. Will Tenergy 05(-fx) be a good fit with my OSP Expert+ blade?
3. Will Tenergy 05-fx be a better fit than Tenergy 05?
4. Will another one of the Tenergy series be a better gradually change from Adidas P7?
5. Are there any alternatives to Tenergy 05, or is the extra 5-10€ worth the price?

To finish, another less important question.. I see many professional players playing with FH black and BH red. Generally, at my (lower) level, FH is usually red..
6. Is there any difference between red and black rubbers. If so, if I would choose Tenergy is FH,     should I buy it black/red?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Bert.

Sponsored Links

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2017 at 10:56pm
There's no rule that makes it specific which colour is to be used on which side (FH/BH). As long as one side is red and the other one black.

As far as a good replacement for your P7, Im kinda in the same boat. Although I had it on my BH. But man I do love it!! Still have a new sheet in the package unopened. Cant get myslef to cut it and glue it since its probably the last one Ill be able to find. Currently Im using Tibhar ELS and I am getting used to it. Max thickness. While I do miss the control and spin of P7, I am getting very good result with ELS. ELS is about 90% there compared to P7. ELS is a bit faster but not by much.

If you happen to find an closer replacement please post with your results.  Id be interested in trying something closer to P7. But so far ELS is working pretty good for me.

FdT

Bert_A View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 11:52am
I'm spending way too much time reading forums to find an appropriate alternative for Adidas P7, since I really want a replacement that doesn't make me have to change my playstyle too much.
Based on this review (http://blog.tabletennis11.com/xiom-omega-v-pro-euro-asia-tour-reviews) it seems that the Xiom Omega V tour/asia come quite close. Do you have an opinion on these rubbers?

Also.. Tibhar Evolution MX-P and MX-S are also options...

I probably make it way too difficult to choose, but man, i loved Adidas P7 :)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 1:04pm
Evolution MX-P (> or = to all other tensors) or Tenergy 05 are probably your best options.

If not, at least they're a baseline rubber to compare others off of :) good luck

Edited by SmackDAT - 07/24/2017 at 1:05pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
onehander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 1:09pm
You can try Nittaku Fastarc g-1.  

You cannot lose by adapting to Tenergy 05.  It will always be available.  

MX-P has lower throw and more catapult than all of these and may require 
the most adaptation.   

They are all good forehand rubber to move to from your Adidas rubber.  
Bert_A View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 1:36pm
Thanks for your advices, I do appreciate it :)

So the rubbers I'm looking at now are
- Butterfly Tenergy 05 (-fx)
- Nittaku Fastarc g-1
- Xiom Omega 5 Tour

My blade (OSP Expert+) isn't the most stiff blade, will that fit well with Tenergy 05(-fx), which has a rather medium soft sponge as well ?? (I think .. I'm not the expert here :p )

Many players keep telling me nowadays there are alot of rubbers equal to Tenergy 05, at a lower price. However, Tenergy 05 stays the rubber most keep using. So there's a big chance I'll probably end up with Tenergy 05 myself (which isn't a bad thing).

If I do go for Tenergy 05, should I buy the normal version, or the fx version. I read that the fx is lighter, which is convenient since my blade has a big head to start with, and I like to keep my equipment light. Or is the original 05 a better fit?

And what thickness should I choose the Tenergy 05(-fx) in? 1.9mm or 2.1mm. I guess 1.9 is an easier adaptation but my goal is to keep improving so maybe I should immediately go for 2.1mm?

And the Omega 5 Tour, isn't that a good rubber? You guys didn't say anything about that.

But then again, the Nittaku Fastarc g-1, which onehander recommended, has very similar characteristics as the p7, if you can trust TableTennisDataBase for something.

I guess it isn't easy to make the right choice. The best thing would be to try them all, but that's not an option if you have to pay for the sheets yourself :)

HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 1:40pm
How old are you?
Bert_A View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by HuLimei HuLimei wrote:

How old are you?

I'm 21 years old, does that matter in this discussion? :)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 2:15pm
Gonna have to try the Omega V Tour. Sounds like a close match.

I have tried the Omega IV Elite but it didn't satisfy. It was just ok.
I'll give the Omega V Tour a try anyway.

FdT
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 3:17pm
I think regular 05 over the fx version is the right call. Most people don't use fx on forehand because it is too soft. Heck, I found 80fx (all fx have the same sponge) too soft for my backhand!

Of course everyone is different but there's a good chance the regular 05 would suit you better.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Bert_A View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Gonna have to try the Omega V Tour. Sounds like a close match.

I have tried the Omega IV Elite but it didn't satisfy. It was just ok.
I'll give the Omega V Tour a try anyway.

FdT

If you can rely on TableTennisDatabase, the Nittaku Fastarc G-1 might even be a closer match, don't you think? 

Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

I think regular 05 over the fx version is the right call. Most people don't use fx on forehand because it is too soft. Heck, I found 80fx (all fx have the same sponge) too soft for my backhand! 

Of course everyone is different but there's a good chance the regular 05 would suit you better.

What thickness do you suggest?

Edited by Bert_A - 07/24/2017 at 6:31pm
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 3:44am
Originally posted by Bert_A Bert_A wrote:

Originally posted by HuLimei HuLimei wrote:

How old are you?
I'm 21 years old, does that matter in this discussion? :)

Yes it does. Because you said in an earlier post you were looking for something "lighter."
@21 (at ANY age really) setup weight does NOT matter. Getting 5% similar to rubber X but softer than rubber Y does NOT matter. 1.8mm vs 2.0 vs 2.1 mm do not matter.
Get MAX immediately and TAME the beast if it's too fast for you your first few hits.

Just get whatever you can (in fact you should get a setup as heavy as possible so you develop a good shoulder) and ADAPT your game to whatever you're currently using.

Miu Hirano is a 16 year old girl yet she uses a setup that's 195+ grams.

^The kids in this video are dirt poor and can only afford "hard, dead" Chinese rubber both sides yet they've already surpassed 95%  of all people complaining about "slow" rubbers.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 10:58am
"If you can rely on TableTennisDatabase, the Nittaku Fastarc G-1 might even be a closer match, don't you think? 

Thanks for the suggestion. The reason that I landed on P7 in the first place, is that it was slower and more controllable than Tenergy 05. Fastarc g-1 seems faster than P7. So it would defeat the purpose. After looking at the ttdb site, and if I were to trust the ratings, I am actually leaning towards testing a sheet Andro Rasant Grip for my BH. Rasant does seem faster than P7 so we'll see. But who knows, Tibhar ELS is doing a good job right now.

FdT

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 11:04am
Omega IV Asia, Andro Hexer, Vega Pro are the best comps.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic