Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nittaku Septear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WildPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Septear
    Posted: 09/13/2006 at 1:32am
Ok guys, I'm thinking about jumping aboard the hinoki bandwagon after hearing so much about it. So I was looking around Iruiru the other day looking for the Darker 7p2a (which I understand has gotten stellar reviews from everyone), and on the way I ran into the Nittaku Septear, another 7 ply hinoki blade that's also about 20 USD cheaper than the Darker. Does anyone have a comparison between the two blades? Any comments, or even just review of either blade standalone would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BTY Viscaria FL
BTY Cermet 2.1
BTY Cermet 2.1
Sponsored Links

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 2:48am

Here's a review if you can read Japanese:

http://www.jasupo.com/report/septear.htm

Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 1:51pm
I don't have 7p-2a. it should come in 6.5mm and also 7-7.2mm versions 7p-2a7T, in asia.

from what I gather 7p-2a is typical Darker being soft and you need to be able to generate power yourself, then it feel great conter drving etc. off the bounce shoot is better with septear, fraction harder than darker (probably more balance). however, both are soft 7-ply blade. I bought septear just for fun, since I played Jpen, now I am using it, seem to go well with rubber recommende for hinoki wood. ie if using chinese sponge make sure it is softer version. an even harder/faster, 7-ply hinoki would be KKT staysher-7.

the bad thing about septear is it will splinter since the top-ply is like 0.3mm thin....... however I like the thicker inner ply since it plays like a harder 5-ply to me (with enought support for top-end). note: this is my only shakehand blade and I still play like chinese c-pen player with BH counter/blocking and FH attack.
BTY SC ST
BH: Bryce FX 2.1 FH: Sriver L 2.1

Stiga CL cpen
FH: Globe 999T on saviga 2.2 BH: Yasaka Mark V soft

Others: KTS, Darker speed 90, 30 (10mm) Jpen, Nittaku Septear ST, DHS 032 CS
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 9:29pm
Does everybody agree that 7P2A Carbon is faster than 7P2A ?
I find that 7P2A Carbon is not fast enough for me.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

WildPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 11:48pm
aeoliah, I'm pretty confident that the 7p2a Carbon is faster than the regular version, so I doubt it would work for you if you're looking for more speed.

leeyong, your review is much appreciated. The Septear appeals to me mostly because it's so much cheaper. I see that you also have a Darker J-pen blade. From what you can tell, is the quality of the worksmanship of the Darker better than that of the Nittaku Septear?

And yes, I also do plan on playing a Chinese power-looping style with a Chinese rubber on the forehand (I already play that way, which is why I'm planning on switching from my Viscaria). I worry, however, about the splintering issue that you mention because I notice the same thing with the Viscaria presumably because of its softer outer plies.   Would the feel with Chinese rubbers be hampered on the Septear if I were to varnish the surface of the Septear?

Again, any help is appreciated, and I am ingratiated to those who have already contributed.
BTY Viscaria FL
BTY Cermet 2.1
BTY Cermet 2.1
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2006 at 5:39am
Just spray some hairstray on it once in awhile, shouldn't be problem.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2006 at 11:20am
hhmmm,... slurp.. the Cpen looks delicious. where can i get one??

www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2006 at 8:57pm
aeoliah,
commends about the 7p-2A carbon was actually faster for a full stroke and not if you tried to bounce of it. some actually said the 7p-2a carbon is softer than 7p-2a (mind you 7p-2a carbon has only 5 hinoki ply right?)7p-2a with 7 ply is slightly harder feel compared to the carbon.

wildpanda,
defined worksmanship for me? well wood quality of septear is not as good (I picked one with the best/even middle 3 ply, and my outer ply isn't well spaced, but I like a power game so I prefer it this way), otherwise why use the wood to make a 7-ply? but the assembly/making wise, it looks great in a minimalist way, plays well, (other than the thin outer ply splinters, so speed-glueer needs to sealed the blade).

I don't seal, but I am thinking of doing it next time, because I just nearly pulled a strip off sunday. I don't think sealing them with hair-spray changes anything, but be careful not to aplly too much liquid type wood sealer though (some mention, blades can get heavy afterwards)

I think chinese rubber you might want to try either very soft hurricaine 3 in the 39 degrees and speed glued, then it will work great. However, my 42 degree H3 feels hard because I like the feel of sriver on 1-ply hinoki, so I am biased.

if you are worried about chinese rubber in general, there are japanese/euro rubber than should match well with hinoki that have a chinese rubber feel, namely spin and hard sponge. the one people like seem to be Nittaku Morristo2000, Andro plasma 470 and I am looking into Juic couga, myself.

BTY SC ST

Stiga CL cpen

WildPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2006 at 2:15am
leeroy, you addressed my concerns about worksmanship adequately. I was mostly wondering about the quality of the hinoki plies, since I hear companies like Butterfly use lower quality plies for their J-pen blades and even their shakehand blades. But if the Septear plays well, then who cares, right?

Ok, I'm thinking my main concern about the Septear right now is the handle. I read that Nittaku's blades like the Violin and the Acoustic have extremely small handles (my hands are pretty big, or at least too big for those pathetic Butterfly handles). Does the Septear face the same problem, because if it does, I'll probably just get myself the Darker and save myself the trouble. Yet again, sorry for so many inquiries, and thanks again!
BTY Viscaria FL
BTY Cermet 2.1
BTY Cermet 2.1
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2006 at 12:20pm
The japanese site gives you a dimension of the handle, I would say they are not big, I have long fingers (I am comfortable with Jpen without shaving) and I would say, I prefer bigger handle than the septear.

what do you don't like about you viscaria and cermet? not fast enough, too soft? I would have thought viscaria would be a pretty balance blade.
BTY SC ST

Stiga CL cpen

WildPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2006 at 7:22pm
As much as I like my setup, I think there are still a lot of problems with it. The problem was that when I got this blade, I was in the transition of become an attacker (I was a chopper before using an allwood blade). I kind of miss the allwood feel as opposed the rather dead feel of the Arylate-Carbon.

Cermet works well, but it's incredibly fragile and, when used with speed glue, is prone to chipping. I wouldn't really care that much about this if Cermet were cheap... which, as is sadly the case with most Butterfly products, it is not.

I'm also switching to Chinese rubber on my forehand, since my coach tells me my style fits better with that type of rubber. So Cerment wouldn't work on my forehand anyway :P
BTY Viscaria FL
BTY Cermet 2.1
BTY Cermet 2.1
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2006 at 8:31pm
feel,,,, I think Nittaku will be different to BTY (as is stiga and yasaka blade all feel diferent). sealed septear with 39 degree H3 speed glue should be o.k. (send cole_ely an email before buy DHS hurricaine, since the sponge may very a lot from batches). new chinese rubber isn't as sticky and hard may work with septear.

If you don't like the feel, is it because the sponge is too soft/thin and you keep hitting into the blade especially on FH? my 1.9mm sriver el kinda feels like that. than a max cermet or harder sponge might solve it. most people seem to say cermet is soft......? Howabout the good old sriver 2.1/max? medium hard sponge, works even better when speed glued!!!!
BTY SC ST

Stiga CL cpen

leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2006 at 8:39pm
sorry, vibration is probably what you meant, I guest matching rubber like sriver and bryce should go well with viscaria.
BTY SC ST

Stiga CL cpen

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic