Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to serve long fast back spin to backhand?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to serve long fast back spin to backhand?
    Posted: 07/25/2017 at 8:15pm
I tried to serve long fast backspin to back hand, but it was quite hard. What I got is generally side spin instead of back spin. Anyone has good advice or coaching video?

I asked my coach, it appears the secret is that I need to hold the paddle flat and keep following through after contact. I generally pull my paddle back after contact and that is why I got mostly side spin.
Sponsored Links

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 8:38pm
Try to do a normal side backspin serve, but hit it harder.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 9:03pm
I agree with the followthrough.

p.s. the 2nd serve is NOT backspin.

Edited by icontek - 07/25/2017 at 9:07pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I agree with the followthrough.

p.s. the 2nd serve is NOT backspin.

Thanks. But I am looking for suggestion on forehand pendulum serve to backhand, not backhand serve.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 11:08pm
I do a fast backspin pendulum serve on occasion. I wait to make contact with the ball almost at surface level with the paddle almost horizontal. No holds barred. From end to end. Some players cannot lift it. I put as much spin as I can, you can almost hear the ball spinning. But you need the surprise factor. Sometimes I aim at the crossover point.

FdT
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 1:37am
You need to get the feeling for backspin. Try doing something like this except throw the ball up and try to get the ball to come back over the net. https://www.facebook.com/ITTFWorld/videos/1852792911417370/

Edited by kenneyy88 - 07/26/2017 at 1:38am
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 9:09am
"You need to get the feeling for backspin. Try doing something like this except throw the ball up and try to get the ball to come back over the net. https://www.facebook.com/ITTFWorld/videos/1852792911417370/ "

OP is talking about a FAST LONG underspin serve specifically.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 07/26/2017 at 9:10am
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 9:23am
You must certainly run your blade through the ball fast and hard. Really snap that wrist!
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 12:54pm
Your forearm and wrist must stay level or parallel to the table. If you are creating sidespin, then you must be dropping either your forearm or wrist at the end of your motion. Which creates a angle and turns into a sidespin serve. Think of it like a construction bubble level, if the bubble stays dead center. Then you will get underspin. If the bubble is left or right of center, then its a sidespin serve.

2 cents left.
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 5:21pm
Yes, I figure the problem was the paddle angle when contacting the ball. Thanks all for the comments.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 12:18am
Doing serves like this is sometimes a comprises where the faster forward it goes then a slight decrease in backspin, so hitting the ball hard and fast on the side is easier than hitting the bottom of the ball and also wanting it to be fast, but practicing with partner and or just trying lots of serves out with the table against a wall or a board
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 1:09am
When I serve long backspin I use the very edge of the blade. Not the long, extended contact of the shorter serves.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 5:30am
Just do your normal side underspin serve and aim it closer to the edge of your side of the table, hit a bit more and you'll have your fast side underspin serve.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 6:12am
There is another way of doing fast backspin. I don't have video but I will try to describe it...

Hold your bat as you would for a reverse pendulum serve. Now hold your blade parallel to the table pointing down...

Strike the ball so your blade travels from the tip towards the handle, pushing down and towards the table...

Not easy to describe, but it is very much like a Wang Hao pen hold serve but for shake hand players...

This can produce a very fast backspin serve or float with less downwards movement...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic