FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gewo Hype KR Pro 47.5 Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gewo Hype KR Pro 47.5 Review
    Posted: 07/26/2017 at 10:59am

Here comes another new 47.5 ESN rubber with a funky sponge colour.  Full review after the pictures!

Rocket Table Tennis Review For Gewo Hype KR 47.5
Reviewed Exclusively For: Rocket Table Tennis @ rocket-tt.com

Date: 3/8/2017

Reviewer: AndySmith
Reviewer Style Of Play: Shakehand Allround Offensive

In This Review
- Attached using VOC-free water-based glue - Revolution No 3
- Tested with 40+mm Plastic Balls - Xiom 3* Seamless
- Rubbers are stock with no boosting
- Blade used - ITC Premier XF

Product Specifications
Product Name: Gewo Hype Pro KR
Colour: Black
Thickness: 2.1mm 
Country Of Origin: Germany
Product Made In Year: 2017
Advertised Hardness: 47.5 degrees
Weight (g) (Uncut): 69.61 grams
Weight (g) (Cut to blade): 49.38 grams
Feel Of Topsheet Hardness During Play (Soft, Medium, Hard): Medium-Soft
Feel Of Sponge Hardness During Play (Soft, Medium, Hard): Medium-Had
Throw Angle Of Rubber (Low, Medium, High): Medium-Low
Ball Grip Strength Of Rubber ( Low, Normal, High ) : Normal
Ball Slippage During Play (Sometimes/None) : None

Speed & Power Ratings
Catapult Power (Low, Normal, High) : Normal
Power From Far-Table Play (Low, Normal, High) : Normal
Speed On Flat Hitting (1-5) : 4
Looping (1-5) : 3
Overall Speed Rating During Play (1-5) : 4

Spin Ratings
Spin Sensitivity (Low, Normal, High) : Low
Spin Generation On Serves (Low, Normal, High) : Normal
Overall Spin Rating During Play (1-5) : 3

Control Ratings
Blocking (1-5): 5
Chopping(1-5) : 3
Serve Returns (1-5) : 5
Consistency (1-5) : 5
Overall Control Rating During Play (1-5) : 5

Reviewer Comments: (your thoughts and comments) 

Intro

So this is Gewo's entry into this year's new ESN production run, and they've obviously taken the same approach as many other suppliers with a very loud sponge colour selection.  The sponge is a true 47.5 hardness with medium sized pores, the topsheet is on the soft side.  No obvious booster smell - smells like any other ESN rubber you've sniffed this year and there are obvious visual similarities with Aurus Prime and Rasanter 47.  The topsheet feels slightly "grainy" (can't think of a better word), which is something I noticed with Prime as well,

Speed / Catapult

This is a fast rubber on the overall scale of things, but feels one notch slower than peers like R47 or Prime.  This probably comes from the linear power delivery more than any true sense of it being slow.  It's around the speed of something like Acuda P1 Turbo, or perhaps MX-S.

Spin

I find KR to have a useful level of spin.  Not class-leading (R47 has more), and not below-average (Mantra).  It has a wonderful intuitive nature how the spin comes out - quite insensitive at low speeds, then good spin through the middle gears, and then it drops off on big strokes.  The topsheet, although soft, looks to have shorter pips than some of the other soft topsheets I've seen recently (I'm thinking mostly of V47 here).

Short Game

KR is hugely strong in the short game.  The linear response, combined with low spin sensitivity at passive game speeds, gives it a big advantage in service return, pushing, and flips.

Conversely, it does need a bit more effort than some rubbers to generate a lot of spin when serving.  I found it very easy to adjust to this - it actually felt to me that it needed an approach similar to hard, tacky rubbers when serving - it allows for a more violent wrist snap because the linear catapult doesn't take the control away from placement or table depth.  So this suits me very well, but YMMV of course.

Direct Game (Blocks, Hits, Drives)

Very. very good.  You can tell that this rubber has a focus on stability and usability just in the warm-up.  I felt that I could counter-topspin all day with it.  Incredibly easy to keep the ball on the table in most situations.

Active blocks are impressive.   The hard-ish sponge gives it enough power to ensure that you can put the ball away (without the sponge washing out and dropping the ball low).

Passive blocks are OK (low spin sensitivity again) but the lack of catapult makes them safe but a bit weak.

Quick counters when close-in are very high percentage, and with this rubber the mindset needs to be to convert passive blocks into punches or counters.

Looping

If there is a weak aspect of KR, it's looping.  Here I'm talking more about the medium-low arc, lack of catapult, and average spin on harder strokes.  Countering fast, spinny balls is mindblowingly easy, but dealing with balls that have dropped below table height or don't carry through to you can be tricky.  Players who drift away from the table might find they run out of power.

That said, the more bread and butter topspin performance is good.  Very easy to lift backspin, for example, and loop exchanges from relatively close-in are solid.  I found it very important to keep a low stance when using KR - no lazy standing up during rallies.

Comparisons with other rubbers

The easiest and most obvious thing to say about KR is the comparison with R47 and AP.  We are in the same kind of ballpark of these two rubbers but there are obvious differences to mention.  KR's topsheet is softer than either R47 or AP and the overall feel of KR in use is more like 44-45.  In comparison with R47, the spin is lower on big shots but isn't bad, the short game is far easier (lower bounce and spin sensitivity), and the throw is lower.  KR is closer overall to AP, but KR lacks the fierce top-end catapult of AP, feels a bit slower, and is far more linear.  The headline might be "lower-tuned Aurus Prime", but I prefer "carefully-tuned Aurus Prime".

With the overall hardness of KR feeling lower than the 47.5 sponge might suggest, comparing to Aurus Select might be worthwhile.  Again, the linearity of KR is the main difference, with Select feeling like a catapult-crazy nutter in comparison (and with Select's throw being higher as a consequence).  Spin generation is good with both but KR's stability through the gears is rock-solid in comparison with Select.  It's easier to get the ball moving from a slow speed with Select though, and the higher arc can be useful when keeping the ball safely on the table when it drops low.

Wrap Up

I remember making reference to Tenzone Ultra in my review of R47, saying that R47 was like a pumped-up version of it.  Well, KR almost feels like a 40+ version of TZU.  It sacrifices some performance in comparison with its peers for real-world solidity and balance.  I was very impressed in my training sessions with it and I've taken the unusual (for me) step of switching my primary setup to using it on both sides.  It's been many years since I've found a rubber that fits my needs on both wings (although I still might miss R47's better top-end performance on FH to be fair).  This rubber's weakness is only that it lacks big performance in any one category, but as an general-purpose medium-hard offensive rubber with dependable and predictable behaviour then I can't think of anything better at the moment.

Edited by AndySmith - 08/03/2017 at 8:04am
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 2:54pm
I am looking forward to your impressions since. I've tried the previous Hype EL Pro (both) and was surprised how good they played and felt
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
kingnike12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kingnike12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 10:32pm
I have been using this rubber on my backhand for the laat month and a half amd here are some impressions. First, I used tenergy 64 on the backhand and el-p for a while and this rubber is a lot better suited for my style which is a mix of blocking and looping. I can get massive amounts of spin and it is easier to loop underspin with this rubber. Since it is fast though it did require a little adjustment period to keep the ball in bit eventually started hitting bombs from the backhand side. The throw is a little lower amd longer than the rubbers mentioned above.
Blades:

OSP Virtuoso M-size
FH: SunnySix Sunny7
BH: Gewo Hype KR Yoo Nam Gyu

Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 64
vishal_dindoyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishal_dindoyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 10:13am
I've tried this rubber for a few weeks. It reminded me a lot of the Evo EL-S. There's this weird vibration that is created when you try to brush loop using only the topsheet. This is one of those rubbers which you have to engage the sponge to get the best out of it. Its on the other side of the spectrum compared to the hype el pro on this aspect. El pro is almost like a non tacky boosted H3 neo with lower throw.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 8:12am
OK, review is up.

Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I am looking forward to your impressions since. I've tried the previous Hype EL Pro (both) and was surprised how good they played and felt

I loved EL Pro too - used the 42.5 on BH for quite a while.  Out of the packet it was great, but it seemed that the durability was surprisingly poor and the topsheet lost grip very suddenly.  KR feels different.  Not sure if it's more like XT Pro - I haven't used those, unfortunately.

Originally posted by kingnike12 kingnike12 wrote:

I have been using this rubber on my backhand for the laat month and a half amd here are some impressions. First, I used tenergy 64 on the backhand and el-p for a while and this rubber is a lot better suited for my style which is a mix of blocking and looping. I can get massive amounts of spin and it is easier to loop underspin with this rubber. Since it is fast though it did require a little adjustment period to keep the ball in bit eventually started hitting bombs from the backhand side. The throw is a little lower amd longer than the rubbers mentioned above.

When I read your post I did wonder what to expect from KR, but I think you're totally right.  I never expected to like it on my BH, but it's beautiful for a mixed approach, allround game, despite being pretty fast.

Originally posted by vishal_dindoyal vishal_dindoyal wrote:

I've tried this rubber for a few weeks. It reminded me a lot of the Evo EL-S. There's this weird vibration that is created when you try to brush loop using only the topsheet. This is one of those rubbers which you have to engage the sponge to get the best out of it. Its on the other side of the spectrum compared to the hype el pro on this aspect. El pro is almost like a non tacky boosted H3 neo with lower throw.

Yes, it's certainly more in line with EL-S and needs effort putting in.  This is in return for amazing ease of use in other areas of course.  At this stage I prefer it to EL-S mainly due to KR's stability in the higher gears.

It won't suit everyone (it may only suit a few, actually), but man does it suit me.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2020 at 7:07am
perfect review
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2020 at 1:21pm
Super accurate description and comparisons Andy! I found it worked better on harder outer blades, well, for me atleast, though i dint like it at all for my game. But yeah, pretty darn good control! 
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic