FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

I don't like T05

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 2:59pm
I don't like hockey.

There I said it.

(I live in Canada, so yeah, that is tantamount to blasphemy!!!)

FdT
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 3:06pm
I liked Tenergy 05 fine for eight years but when I tried Karis M for the first time I discovered that there were some pretty important aspects of my game that were suffering as a result (mainly my ability to keep the ball on the table when I was under pressure, and my return of serve).  Initially Karis M felt dead and it seemed like I was giving up some penetration on my offensive shots, but now I hit as hard and spinny as ever.  My technique adapted.  But I saw the benefits of a very linear rubber right away. 

All this stuff is really a matter of taste, play style, and what you are used to.  But these days I really like rubbers where what you get out is more directly related to what you put in.

With that said, I perfectly understand why a lot of people like it and why it is a dominant rubber among professionals (and the ones that are also widely used share a lot of its properties, or are very extensively boosted Chinese rubber, which is a different animal altogether).
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

I sympathize with you. Get that crap out of sight. I would be glad to relieve you of T05 ill feelings.
Send it to me, I will pay the shipping cost.

For all your unwanted T05's, Luckyloop and I are running a collection drive. 
Donations will go to the American Red Sponge Society. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

05 last a bit longer but the price tag doesn't justify that diffenrence.  A brand new M1 or MXP is nearly as spinny as 05, maybe 5-8% less.
However a 6 month ESN is garbage and 05 is still usable& have some grip.

Here is a 59-month-old Hexer HD in action, never came off the blade once.

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 3:15pm
59 month old??? Wow...

Wanna see a picture of that rubber.

I played with a 3 year old tenergy once that looked barely 1 year old. The guy was using mineral oil (i think) time to time to keep the topsheet from drying out. Still spinned very well.

Edited by DreiZ - 07/31/2017 at 3:18pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 4:30pm
I think I took some pictures of the setup but I don't have access to either right now.

It is holding up pretty well. No crumbling of topsheet, to this date, though the sponge feels H3-dead by now, which improves touch considerably.

Showed signs of wear 4 months in at roughly 3 hours a week. Hexer is also similar in that respect, but it developed soft spots and slipping around the 1-year mark, whereas Hexer HD did not.

Contrary to what's a common occurrence, both sheets didn't shrink on me.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 4:52pm
Tenergy rubbers are the best, in my opinion.  I've tried lots of others and for a short time I'm impressed with them.  But then I try Tenergy again and realize how superior it is.

I've had the same setup now for over 2 years and I plan on keeping it forever.  Tired of switching as it just seems like a waste of time.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 8:49pm
This tongue in cheek post actually sparked up quite an interesting thread. I put this post meaning to be a little bit funny after reading through another thread about your best blade rubber combination. I was just surprised how many people kept saying T05 was a part of their best combination. Out of the Tenergy rubbers I've tried, I liked T25fx the most. I actually played with T25fx for quite some time and I rather liked that rubber, I just wanted something a little bit more linear and prefer a little bit more grip on the topsheet.

Edited by ericd937 - 07/31/2017 at 8:53pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 11:44pm
Way back I also did not like T05. Back then I only got to try it on the blades of my club mates. Hated the bounce, too sensitive to spin, heavy, expensive, and it wasn't mine anyway.

My stateside friend sent me a pair black and red for my birthday last year. It's been a year and a half and the T05 is still on my favorite blade. Playing 3-4 times a week 2 hours per session that's durability for you. Love the spin generation on low to medium effort strokes, my BH offense improves immensely. Yep the best offensive rubber for me now that I fully understand what it offers. Best thing yet is . . . . I still have to open the second sheet. Tongue
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2017 at 10:52am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Friends at the club who started using rasanter before me report that after 2 months It loses its spin; if that's true then BTY figured something out the competition still tries to reproduce: durability. I am very surprised BTY was able until now to protect its secret formula: they play a game at the same level than Coca Cola.

That's potentially really bad news.  I'm still using my first sheets of R42 and V42 on BH, but I don't need massive grip on that wing so I'm not as likely to feel topsheet wear.  I'll how our local R47 users are feeling when I see them next.

What a shame if true though.  I thought ESN had sorted out the durability last year.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2017 at 10:58am
Meanwhile my Karis M seems immortal.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2017 at 11:26am
Tenergy was, LION, the 1st rubber to come with big porous sponge. ESN's 4th-gen Tensor was a me-too product. Just as Bryce was the 1st rubber to be marketed as high-tensioned. ESN's Tensor was still in the lab.

Regarding durability, the two opinions below are very common in China as well.

Quote Tenergy seems to have bit more gradual dropoff whereas the heavier tuned ESNs can appear to fall off a cliff.

Quote Tenergy is most likely the most durable rubber on the market, barring some weird, fringe, shoe-like chinese..
The tenergy sponge retains kick forever. And the topsheet, while gradually losing grip, is still not slippery at the 6 month mark, and does not have the signature center wear and discoloration of ESN rubbers. ESN rubbers look totally different in the center in a week, not sure why.
I don't even use tenergy any more, its too jumpy for me. So I am not really a fanboy. That doesn't mean I can deny the durability.

Even Butterfly stresses that point in the infomercial.

P.S. Another point is that many users unanimously reported that the batches of Tenergy in the 1st year after release lasted much longer than the ones after.

Edited by zeio - 08/01/2017 at 1:21pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 11:44am
Vlad Samsonov dislikes Tenergy, too.
He is a bronze medal winner for the Rio Olympics2016, and he collected a total of prize money over 2 millions during his whole playing career..
Engaged to Tibhar solely, for over 20 years.

And he now switched to a softer sponge, better control with plastic ball.

Edited by igorponger - 08/02/2017 at 11:54am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Friends at the club who started using rasanter before me report that after 2 months It loses its spin; if that's true then BTY figured something out the competition still tries to reproduce: durability. I am very surprised BTY was able until now to protect its secret formula: they play a game at the same level than Coca Cola.

IT's the booster wearing off as it shrinks.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I still regret taking off my initial sheets.  It actually plays better with age.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

05 last a bit longer but the price tag doesn't justify that diffenrence.  A brand new M1 or MXP is nearly as spinny as 05, maybe 5-8% less.
However a 6 month ESN is garbage and 05 is still usable& have some grip.

Here is a 59-month-old Hexer HD in action, never came off the blade once.

While they weren't as good as Tenergy 05, I still believe that the Hexer/Baracuda/Genius/Explode generation with natural rubber is the best thing ESN has for non-pros.
Cybershape Carbon
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 2:38pm
I have heard of the legendary durability of baracuda. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I still regret taking off my initial sheets.  It actually plays better with age.

Yes, I also think it may improve with time but absolutely it is not getting worse.  And so I am not changing until it is obvious that I have to.  And I am not close to that point.  Yesterday I compared my backup blade with fairly unused Karis M with my main blade with quite a few months of use.  Actually both sheet sets are old but only one has been played with.  No difference except a small one that I know is due to the blade.  I have not seen anything like it since the days when I was a kid and played with green Yasaka three-star Cobra. 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

While they weren't as good as Tenergy 05, I still believe that the Hexer/Baracuda/Genius/Explode generation with natural rubber is the best thing ESN has for non-pros.

That generation was of immense historical importance to ESN as the attempt at imitating T05 changed the conventional perceptions of Tensors, from speedy yet fragile to spinny and tough.

Baracuda and Hexer in particular still get mentioned when people ask for recommendations on local forums in China and Hong Kong.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 6:08pm
Most likely, manufacturers will always exclude the "preserving" chemical additives from original rubber formula so as to get their rubber products to only last for a short time., just for getting better turnover.   Very clever business, indeed.
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 8:11pm
I am amazed how long it lasts if taken care of. I have an all wood blade with some 05 that I put on it in maybe 2012 ?. It looks like and plays great. I have no idea how many hours of play are on that rubber. I use that paddle as a coaching paddle every week. It just keeps on going.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2022 at 3:14am
[QUOTE=TwiddleDee]I am amazed how long it lasts if taken care of. I have an all wood blade with some 05 that I put on it in maybe 2012 ?. It looks like and plays great. I have no idea how many hours of play are on that rubber. I use that paddle as a coaching paddle every week. It just keeps on going.[/QUOTE
I agree with maintenance you can keep it going for ages,spinmax and occasional boost works for me,however I tried a new sheet on my second black balsa 3.0 blade and the speed difference is clear and more than I realised,the topspin are easier with the new sheet,I imagine the older sheet would be better for classic defence 
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic