FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Japanese rubber recommendation please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese rubber recommendation please
    Posted: 09/20/2017 at 10:21am
Hi,

I've been away from TT for a few years. I am using Calibra LT and I like it but it lacks spin. Has any new Japanese rubber been introduced in the last few years worth considering? I'm a low level club player looking to improve my spin game. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 10:57am
Hi richrf,

Welcome back to the game! Yes, while there are many new Japanese rubbers to the game.
The leading one with most spin is the Butterfly Tenergy 05 - This can be disputed though.
Other options include rubbers from German ESN factory. Which are also class-leading in their own ways.
To answer your question on Jap + Spin I would say T05.

Otherwise, if you can consider other rubbers (ESN). It opens you to even more options.
Our forum members have very good recommendations.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 11:10am
Nittaku fastarc series is pretty good as well.
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 11:10am
Hi Chewy,

Thanks for the recommendations. In the past I stayed away from ESN for lack of durability which translated into inconsistent performance over time.

I tried, Tenergy, but cost aside, it felt heavier than I like, but if course v excellent overall characteristics.

The Calibra LT, has been a real champ in regards to durability. But it does not have the spin capabilities of ESN or Tenergy so I am wondering if anything new (last three years or so) had been introduced that I might consider. Otherwise I'll stick with Calibra LT which is a real work horse. I don't think Calibra Spin will make a big difference though it might. I didn't at all like the Calibration Tour series.

Thanks again!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll check reviews.
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 12:07pm
Hey richrf,

You are most welcome.
I see. Understood your points.

Some of the older/natural gum ESN rubbers are reported to have better durability.
I cannot comment much on durability as it is subjective up to some point.
Stiga Mantra is supposed to be a Jap-like rubber. And it's pretty new, have you tried it?

Personally, Nittaku FastArc (G-1 & C-1) are some of my favourite rubbers. Due to the extremely grippy topsheet - personal preference of mine.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Chewy Chewy wrote:

Hey richrf,

You are most welcome.

Some of the older/natural gum ESN rubbers are reported to have better durability.
Stiga Mantra is supposed to be a Jap-like rubber. And it's pretty new, have you tried it?

Personally, Nittaku FastArc (G-1 & C-1) are some of my favourite rubbers. Due to the extremely grippy topsheet - personal preference of mine.

Appreciate the recommendations. I know nothing about Mantra. I'll have to do some research. Fastarc may be a good candidate. Is it non-ESN? Also any feeling about the weight compared to Tenergy? Thanks again!
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 12:13pm

That's a German rubber though (ESN).
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

That's a German rubber though (ESN).

Unfortunately, this would be a deal killer.
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 1:49pm
Nittaku Flyatt Spin, Stiga Mantra, Nexy Karis and Joola Samba 19 or 27 are all made in Japan and have gripper topsheets than previous generation Japanese rubbers. 
They are maybe not quite as durable as some of the older ones, but I would say they still tend to last a bit longer than most ESN rubbers.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Sedis Sedis wrote:

Nittaku Flyatt Spin, Stiga Mantra, Nexy Karis and Joola Samba 19 or 27 are all made in Japan and have gripper topsheets than previous generation Japanese rubbers. 
They are maybe not quite as durable as some of the older ones, but I would say they still tend to last a bit longer than most ESN rubbers.

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

For some reason the Calibra is a real monster when it comes to durability. I thought I might have to change it after a couple of years of play and the senior players at the club (Westchester TT) as well as a top rated European professional told me no need to. I'm really only looking because everyone agrees that it is lacking in the spin department.

Thanks again! I'll be checking them out.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 3:17pm
Stiga Mantra series is made in Japan.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Thanks! If anyone had a comparison to Calibra, I would appreciate it. Seems like it is a relatively new rubber.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 5:50pm

Hey richrf,

You are most welcome.

I'm using the s1 on BH. It works pretty well. Do you think c1 might be better on BH V
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 7:56pm
Hey Richrf,

You can check out the reviews for Stiga Mantra here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78165

And for Nexy Karis:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77991&PN=1&title=nexy-karis-m-and-m-reviews

Hope it can help you with your comparison.

@wanchope
C-1 feels harder and gripper than S-1. The S-1 is a very light & soft rubber, but if weight is not an issue and you're looking for something gripper with a harder feel. Then you can try the C-1 for the BH.
As Nittaku markets it, the C-1 is actually a rubber with G-1 topsheet & S-1 Sponge combined. 😁
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Thanks! If anyone had a comparison to Calibra, I would appreciate it. Seems like it is a relatively new rubber.

It comes in three versions.  yogi bear has reviewed it.  I only tried Mantra M, which is slower, spinner a lot more linear than Calibra LT for sure, and probably better for the vast majority of players.  Yogi likes the Mantra H version better, which is harder and faster than M.  Yes, it is new in the last year or so.  It follows a trend with a lot of new rubbers of being a bit more predictable for the user.

It definitely has some similarity to Nexy Karis series, also made in a Japanese factory (the same one as Mantra in fact), but the company is Korean.  I love Karis M, but it is not going to be loved by everyone.  It is probably the most "linear" and predictable rubber in existence, but that means it punishes lazy technique.  That one also comes in harder versions (M+ and H) which are said to be faster.  I didn't find that true for M+ and I have not tried H.  This is one of those rubbers that is quite blade-dependent and if you are not using a pretty fast blade I would go with Mantra rather than Karis.  Karis needs a pretty fast blade.
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:10pm
Stiga mantra m or have on off-off+ are way to hard to control especially those being smashing and hard hitting setups. I have tried it on off- and lower. I could easily loop and drive both sides of the blades. Tried max no feeling. 1.9mm is what I liked. 1.7mm was too hard to control. Mantra I think isn't a good newcomer especially being made from the same factory as many Japanese style rubbers. I just didn't like it. Switched back to 729 or other esn rubbers. Prefer the aurus, elpis, fastarc, or mxs over this.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by HarmonicTT HarmonicTT wrote:

Stiga mantra m or have on off-off+ are way to hard to control especially those being smashing and hard hitting setups. I have tried it on off- and lower. I could easily loop and drive both sides of the blades. Tried max no feeling. 1.9mm is what I liked. 1.7mm was too hard to control. Mantra I think isn't a good newcomer especially being made from the same factory as many Japanese style rubbers. I just didn't like it. Switched back to 729 or other esn rubbers. Prefer the aurus, elpis, fastarc, or mxs over this.

Thanks for describing for me your experiences. It is very helpful. While Table Tennis Daily gave it a fairly nice review, their skill level is in a different ballpark than mine, and as you pointed out control is an important characteristic.

ESN for me is definitely out. I've tried many with poor trails. Chinese doesn't fit my playing style and I also found consistency an issue. The Calibra has been a reasonably good fit but I'll continue investigating the other recommendations on this thread. First hand accounts such as the ones you shared with me are always very helpful. Thanks!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:41pm

Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

It comes in three versions.  yogi bear has reviewed it.  I only tried Mantra M, which is slower, spinner a lot more linear than Calibra LT for sure, and probably better for the vast majority of players.  Yogi likes the Mantra H version better, which is harder and faster than M.  Yes, it is new in the last year or so.  It follows a trend with a lot of new rubbers of being a bit more predictable for the user.

It definitely has some similarity to Nexy Karis series, also made in a Japanese factory (the same one as Mantra in fact), but the company is Korean.  I love Karis M, but it is not going to be loved by everyone.  It is probably the most "linear" and predictable rubber in existence, but that means it punishes lazy technique.  That one also comes in harder versions (M+ and H) which are said to be faster.  I didn't find that true for M+ and I have not tried H.  This is one of those rubbers that is quite blade-dependent and if you are not using a pretty fast blade I would go with Mantra rather than Karis.  Karis needs a pretty fast blade.

Thanks much for the detailed description. It is very helpful.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:42pm

Hey Richrf,

And for Nexy Karis:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77991&PN=1&title=nexy-karis-m-and-m-reviews

@wanchope
C-1 feels harder and gripper than S-1. The S-1 is a very light & soft rubber, but if weight is not an issue and you're looking for something gripper with a harder feel. Then you can try the C-1 for the BH.
As Nittaku markets it, the C-1 is actually a rubber with G-1 topsheet & S-1 Sponge combined. 😁

C1 is not much heavier than s1, I guess? I'll try c1 the next time. I try to do a lot of banana flick, more grip might help.

Edited by wanchope - 09/20/2017 at 10:00pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:49pm

Hey Richrf,

And for Nexy Karis:

@wanchope

Thanks much for the links!
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:55pm
is the fast arc series worth exploring or should one expect the new alhegl is a much better choice?

thinking of putting G1 fh and C1 bh on an old acoustic

I am a total Newb. Come at me!
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 10:02pm
That's what I'll try the next time. Currently have s1 on BH. Pretty decent
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2017 at 12:43am
@richrf
Mon22 mentioned about the Nittaku Alhelg rubber. Which is also a Japanese rubber.
Here is a link from Patrick’s review: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73730&PID=910080
In it, he compares the Airoc to the Calibra too. I think the information, you would find useful.

@mon22
The Alhelg is made in Japan, while the FastArc is made in Germany.
Yes, pretty sure you will not be disappointed with the G-1 & C-1.

@wanchope
If you’re looking for a grippier Rubber. Yes C-1 can help. The G-1 is on a harder sponge which suits FH better for most.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2017 at 9:45am
Is C-1 sensitive to incoming spins? I know S-1 is kinda not, which is good to me in returning serve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic