0 [0.00%]
16 [38.10%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 10:53am
The Asian TTC used Nittaku this year. WTTC used D40. Variou professional leagues around the world use other balls.

Presently USATT does NOT dictate to organizers what ball they should use so your poll is misleading.

I like the D40 but facts should be presesnted correctly.
Sponsored Links

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The Asian TTC used Nittaku this year. WTTC used D40. Variou professional leagues around the world use other balls.

Presently USATT does NOT dictate to organizers what ball they should use so your poll is misleading.

Go back and read the starting poll Question:

"Should the USATT switch their ball choice from Nittaku Premium 40+ to another brand for the US Open and US Nationals ?"

The facts are stated correctly and the poll is not misleading.

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

In my opinion, the USA tournaments should use whatever ball is used on the world professional tour. They shouldn't force the USA players to practice with the most expensive ball costing $2.50 - 3.00 per ball, ridiculous.

The Nittaku Premium 40+ is mostly only used in Japan.

Presently the poll majority supports the DHS D40+ which is used on the world professional tour.

I think the USATT should use whatever ball the ball sponsor pays them to use, as long as it's a quality ball.  A month before a major tournament a participant can buy 3 expensive balls and practice with them before the tournament.  It's not that big of a deal.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

In my opinion, the USA tournaments should use whatever ball is used on the world professional tour. They shouldn't force the USA players to practice with the most expensive ball costing $2.50 - 3.00 per ball, ridiculous.

The Nittaku Premium 40+ is mostly only used in Japan.

Presently the poll majority supports the DHS D40+ which is used on the world professional tour.

I think the USATT should use whatever ball the ball sponsor pays them to use, as long as it's a quality ball.  A month before a major tournament a participant can buy 3 expensive balls and practice with them before the tournament.  It's not that big of a deal.

We have different opinions.

Since the USA big tournaments use the NP 40+, they appear to set an example that a lot of clubs and other tournaments follow. We have 2 clubs in my area which use the the NP 40+ and the club I go to which uses the DHS D40+. A new ball last around 6 hours before the new liveliness wears off so it can be expensive to play simulated tournament matches with a new ball. I always play matches 6 hours before I change new balls, so presently costing me $.55 for 2 x a week vs $2.50 a week for a Nittaku Premium 40+. I like to use the money I save on balls for TT replacement rubber.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 3:25pm
Our new balls last much longer than 6 hours.  I've never checked how long our balls last, but I'm guessing that they last 30+ hours.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 5:06pm
The other thing is that if you practice with D40 the switch to NP40 is pretty easy.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 6:20pm

WTTC actually used Nittaku.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 7:11pm

Our new balls last much longer than 6 hours.  I've never checked how long our balls last, but I'm guessing that they last 30+ hours.

From my experience, one club using NP 40+, say a ball new vs one used well over 6 hours, the service return is much easier with the used ball. I have always enjoyed bringing out a new ball to play vs players who practice with well used balls.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/01/2017 at 7:17pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 10:29pm

From my experience, one club using NP 40+, say a ball new vs one used well over 6 hours, the service return is much easier with the used ball. I have always enjoyed bringing out a new ball to play vs players who practice with well used balls.

You are right. I was there and should have remembered properly. The point was that not all ITTF events use D40.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 10:32pm
In any case before long we will mostly be using ABS balls made by DHS or Nittaku in US tournaments even if they have other labels. Eithe one is fine with me.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 10:41pm

In any case before long we will mostly be using ABS balls made by DHS or Nittaku in US tournaments even if they have other labels. Eithe one is fine with me.

Do you think it will really happen, given a large number of tournaments/clubs sponsored by Butterfly and Joola in the US? I suspect sponsorship plays a major role here. 

Edit: I guess you are assuming that Butterfly, Joola, and other major companies will start offering ABS ball variant soon. Perhaps, we'll see. 

Edited by pgpg - 10/01/2017 at 10:56pm
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 11:17pm
I think everyone who has been selling rebranded DHS cellulose acetate balls, including Joola and possibly Btfly (although Btfly may have been selling a DF ball) will before lomg sell rebranded DHS (or DF) ABS balls. They also know the cellulose acetate balls are bad but they didn't have a lot of options before. Joola eventually sold a seamless ball, and Btfly has their own G40 that is IMHO pretty disappointing. But as you say, we'll see. A lot of these companies had previous agreements with DHS so why not again in the future?
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 9:46am

Summary of thread info to date

Nittaku Premium 40+ made in Japan, was used in the Asian TT Championships and the World TT Championships but not in any of the top world professional leagues or the world professional tour for 2017.

Then I think the USA should rotate the balls used yearly for the US Open and the US Nationals.

Does anyone know what balls will be used for the men's and women's world cups this year ?
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 10:21am

Does anyone know what balls will be used for the men's and women's world cups this year ?
=============
Don't know about this year.
Last year both of them used:  DHS 40+ ***

Most likely, they will use the same ball this year. (They have not announced it yet.)
skip3119
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 12:50pm

Then I think the USA should rotate the balls used yearly for the US Open and the US Nationals?

So the Open and Nationals would use a different ball every year.  That means that ball sensitive players would also have to buy different balls for each tournament. 

Would you be willing to make up the sponsorship money lost due to the changes?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 2:49pm
Again, this discussion is not taking into account whatever sponsorship agreements USATT may have to reduce their costs.

Since the DHS and Nittaku balls are not all that different, really USATT's costs should be the deciding factor.  We know that Nittaku balls are a lot more expensive for us but we don't know what kind of deal USATT may be getting.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 2:56pm
I'm pretty sure any ball sponsorship is going to start with free balls.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 3:05pm
I agree, I don't think the cost of the balls is an issue.  Sponsorship money would be important.  I also would like consistency.  I suspect that the NP has a multi year agreement.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:09pm
This is abit off topic but I’ve been playing with the new Joola Flash 40+ ball since my practice partner is getting ready for the Baltimore event on thanksgiving, and this ball is not bad. Plays much better than the XSF ball in terms of consistency and bounce. Seems more durable as well. Didn’t check the roundness but I didn’t see any wobble during play.

And then I went to check the price of this ball and it’s about 2.50/per ball... still expensive but cheaper than NP40+ which is still #1 IMO.

Has anyone recently practiced with this ball? Any thoughts?

Edited by DreiZ - 10/03/2017 at 5:11pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 6:57pm

Then I think the USA should rotate the balls used yearly for the US Open and the US Nationals?

So the Open and Nationals would use a different ball every year.  That means that ball sensitive players would also have to buy different balls for each tournament. 

Would you be willing to make up the sponsorship money lost due to the changes?

Clarification, USATT should use the same ball for both tournaments in the same year, Nittaku Premium 40+ for 2017. I think they should use a different ball for 2018 tournaments, say the same ball to be used on the world tour for 2018.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 7:06pm
(LUCKYLOOP)  In my opinion, the USA tournaments should use whatever ball is used on the world professional tour. They shouldn't force the USA players to practice with the most expensive ball costing $2.50 - 3.00 per ball, ridiculous.

Yeah it is.  Tennis anyone?  Tennis Warehouse sells 3 ball cans of Penn, Dunlop and Wilson, all of which are perfectly acceptable for mortals and pros alike, for around $3.99 a can. 

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 7:12pm

Again, this discussion is not taking into account whatever sponsorship agreements USATT may have to reduce their costs.

Since the DHS and Nittaku balls are not all that different, really USATT's costs should be the deciding factor.  We know that Nittaku balls are a lot more expensive for us but we don't know what kind of deal USATT may be getting.

The USATT mission is to develop the National team for international competition. Then wouldn't it be appropriate to use a ball that their teams are most likely to encounter during the year. I don't think Nittaku should even be considered if they are not going to a competition that will be using it for a specific year.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 8:28pm

The USATT mission is to develop the National team for international competition. Then wouldn't it be appropriate to use a ball that their teams are most likely to encounter during the year. I don't think Nittaku should even be considered if they are not going to a competition that will be using it for a specific year.

I would rather have the ball sponsorship money used to train our players to be competitive.

I can't imagine that the ball we use for the Nationals and the Open would make much difference at the international level.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 1:08am
Seriously, you can adjust between d40 and np40 in about one or two minutes. In the worst possible case, a day of training is enough. This is a non-issue. The only issue is cost. And that depends on what usatt pays, if anything. But if USATT did switch to d40 because they got a new sponsor I would be ok with it.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 2:09am

Question

What is the retail profit generated by a ball selling for $2.50 -$3 per ball vs a ball that sells for half the cost or less ?

What is the profit generated by the manufacturer too ?

In essence, are USA players being fleeced by Nittaku sponsorship at the 2 tournaments ?

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/04/2017 at 2:23am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 3:34am

Seriously, you can adjust between d40 and np40 in about one or two minutes. In the worst possible case, a day of training is enough. This is a non-issue. The only issue is cost. And that depends on what usatt pays, if anything. But if USATT did switch to d40 because they got a new sponsor I would be ok with it.

I think one can very quickly adjust to any ball with a consistent bounce and roundness that stays that way.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 11:01am
Now this I don't understand.  If Nittaku donates balls to USATT for the two tournaments USATT organizes, somehow US players are getting fleeced as a result of Nittaku's generosity?

You can train with D40+ and if you are really concerned you could play with Nittaku for a day or two before the event and be fine.

Like I said, I like D40 balls, but in terms of quality control in general you get what you pay for.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 11:36am

Now this I don't understand.  If Nittaku donates balls to USATT for the two tournaments USATT organizes, somehow US players are getting fleeced as a result of Nittaku's generosity?

You can train with D40+ and if you are really concerned you could play with Nittaku for a day or two before the event and be fine.

Like I said, I like D40 balls, but in terms of quality control in general you get what you pay for.

WHAT IF it has generated an average of 10,000 or more ball sales per month in the USA ?

Edit Addition

Getting what you pay for:

Average hourly factory wage

Japan $7.30

China $2.00 usually do not get paid extra for overtime

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/04/2017 at 11:53am
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 11:45am

WHAT IF it has generated an average of 10,000 or more ball sales per month in the USA ?

Why would anyone care how many balls were sold each month in the USA?  It's my choice whether I buy the balls or not.  I buy 3 NP's before the Nationals and the Open.  Somehow buying those balls don't make me feel fleeced by Nitakau. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 11:58am
So what?  People should simply buy D40s for practice if they are concerned about the price of the ball.  It is the ball I use about 80% of the time.     

But bear in mind that the Nittaku is a very high quality ball.  It has the best playing properties of plastic balls (not 100% of people agree, but they would get more votes than any other ball).  So a lot of people are buying Nittaku who will never go to US Open or Nationals.  So it might be hard to claim that any particular sales figure they have is directly caused by their sponsorship of these events.

If Nittaku does get a sales bump from sponsoring these events, well that is the reason all manufacturers sponsor events.  And it makes the events better. 

All in all, this is some pretty crazy reasoning. I don't think we should criticize a company that donates balls to our national events, especially when a lot of people would say it is the best 40+ ball in existence. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic