0 [0.00%]
16 [38.10%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Now this I don't understand.  If Nittaku donates balls to USATT for the two tournaments USATT organizes, somehow US players are getting fleeced as a result of Nittaku's generosity?

You can train with D40+ and if you are really concerned you could play with Nittaku for a day or two before the event and be fine.

Like I said, I like D40 balls, but in terms of quality control in general you get what you pay for.

WHAT IF it has generated an average of 10,000 or more ball sales per month in the USA ?

Edit Addition

Getting what you pay for:

Average hourly factory wage

Japan $7.30

China $2.00 usually do not get paid extra for overtime

I have an apartment in China.  It costs about 1/10th of what it would cost in Japan (maybe 1/20th if we are talking about central Tokyo), as with a meal at a restaurant, a ride in a taxi etc.  Part of the reason stuff from China costs less.  Another reason is the QC.  How stringent are your standards?  What are you willing to put in the box?  The fewer you throw away, the less you have to charge.  Nittaku has really high QC standards, for a long time now.

Anyway, over in Pongville feel free to use whatever you want.  I suggest D40.  It won't hurt you training for events where they use Nittaku.
Sponsored Links

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Does anyone know what balls will be used for the men's and women's world cups this year ?
=============
Don't know about this year.
Last year both of them used:  DHS 40+ ***

Most likely, they will use the same ball this year. (They have not announced it yet.)
DHS balls will be used at the Mens and Womens World Cup.  It's on the ITTF page for those events.  The balls for the Teams has not been announced yet.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 1:27pm

So what?  People should simply buy D40s for practice if they are concerned about the price of the ball.  It is the ball I use about 80% of the time.     

But bear in mind that the Nittaku is a very high quality ball.  It has the best playing properties of plastic balls (not 100% of people agree, but they would get more votes than any other ball).  So a lot of people are buying Nittaku who will never go to US Open or Nationals.  So it might be hard to claim that any particular sales figure they have is directly caused by their sponsorship of these events.

If Nittaku does get a sales bump from sponsoring these events, well that is the reason all manufacturers sponsor events.  And it makes the events better. 

All in all, this is some pretty crazy reasoning. I don't think we should criticize a company that donates balls to our national events, especially when a lot of people would say it is the best 40+ ball in existence. 

I am not criticizing their Company. Actually it is very astute marketing strategy to generate USA sales. I am educating players about the balls used all over the world and the overpricing of the NP 40+ due to wage factors beyond their control.

By getting the NP40+ in the two most prestigious USATT Tournaments Nittaku gets a name Brand Reputation and Recognition at a very inexpensive advertising cost.

A lot of consumers are duped by price on different products thinking the most expensive is better, which is not always correct. It is usually the indicator of a better product. It can depend on countries standard of living. Why are a lot products not made in the USA anymore ?

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/04/2017 at 2:10pm
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 2:18pm
My personal preference starts with is it round, not the brand.  I usually still manage to get a couple of matches in with the Bfly ball each week.  It takes longer for me to make the adjustment, so if you play me you get a automatic spot if we are using the Bfly ball.  I just treat it like a handicap match and make it a challenge for myself.  I even will play with an old cell ball if nothing else is available.  (I'm still using them in my robot.)  

We have some people who really seem to like one particular Brand over the others.  Hey if they want to supply a NP40+ ball I'm fine with that, I will add that even their 2* ball seems to be a good quality ball, from my experience.  Me, I'm probably only interested in one or the other when I'm getting ready to go to a tournament, like the Joola ball for instance.  Or last year the Bfly.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 4:58pm
Baal wrote So a lot of people are buying Nittaku who will never go to US Open or Nationals.  So it might be hard to claim that any particular sales figure they have is directly caused by their sponsorship of these events.

When I started to play in clubs, the ball of choice used was the Nittaku Premium. I hadn't played in the US Open or the Nationals. I have played in several clubs in various states in the past. All used the Nittaku Premium. The majority of the club players never have played in those tournaments. The ball used at those clubs was determined by the persons running them, which some have attended the big 2 tournaments. So yes the Nittaku Ball advertising has affected usage by players a lot who have never playing in the US Open or Nationals.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 8:13pm
Advertising or the quality of the product? It has been the ball of choice in the US for decades.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 8:37pm

Advertising or the quality of the product? It has been the ball of choice in the US for decades.

Probably both, I knew very little about the other balls back then.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/04/2017 at 8:41pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 9:06pm
It is word of mouth mostly. Also people try the balls and they like it. If they made a crappy ball at that price nobody would buy it. My sense is that very little TT advertising is very effective.

But yes, even in 38 mm era people in US generally preferred Nittaku to other balls, and they were always the most expensive.

Now the D40+ is a more or less acceptable alternative and a lot cheaper. DHS made a decent ball in the celluloid era too, including some sold with a Nittaku label.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 10:52pm

Probably both, I knew very little about the other balls back then.

Nittaku has been the ball used for both US Nationals and US Open since 1980 and Paddle Palace has facilitated the sponsorship since they became the Nittaku distributor so its not like they just showed up when the balls were switched to plastic

Edited by Vince64 - 10/04/2017 at 10:53pm
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 9:18am

Summary

Only 35 participants in the poll

I feel we have learned a lot from this thread.

The Nittaku Premium 40+ appears to be overpriced based on manufacturing cost labor conditions of Japan compared to China.

The NP 40+ made in Japan is not used on the World Pro Tour or any of the 8 top ranked professional leagues of the World.

Therefore, based on usage by the professionals, there are other quality balls available that could be used in the US Open and US Nationals and even smaller independently sanctioned US Tournaments.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 9:44am
For USATT to use another brand, that manufacturer needs to provide a better sponsor package than Nittaku.  I don't think USATT selected Nittaku just because they supply free balls.  And they won't select another brand just because that brand is used elsewhere or that brand is cheaper or whatever.  It comes down to whoever gives USATT the best package, period.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 10:06am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

For USATT to use another brand, that manufacturer needs to provide a better sponsor package than Nittaku.  I don't think USATT selected Nittaku just because they supply free balls.  And they won't select another brand just because that brand is used elsewhere or that brand is cheaper or whatever.  It comes down to whoever gives USATT the best package, period.

Then, based on marketing strategy, Nittaku is targeting the USA while DHS is targeting the World Professional Tour.

Maybe Nittaku considers the USA an easier MARK for their expensive balls than other parts of the world.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/06/2017 at 10:28am
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 11:17am

Summary

The Nittaku Premium 40+ appears to be overpriced based on manufacturing cost labor conditions of Japan compared to China.

The NP 40+ made in Japan is not used on the World Pro Tour or any of the 8 top ranked professional leagues of the World.

Therefore, based on usage by the professionals, there are other quality balls available that could be used in the US Open and US Nationals and even smaller independently sanctioned US Tournaments.

You really don't know how sponsorship works, do you?
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

It's really PAddle Palace since in a sense, they are Nittaku USA.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Summary

My statement above was based on the premise of usage by professionals.

See my other statement based on the premise of marketing strategy.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 12:23pm

Summary

I think he just has a lot of free time and likes to start never ending useless threads.

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

[QUOTE=LUCKYLOOP]
Summary

I think he just has a lot of free time and likes to start never ending useless threads.
A sanctioned tournament can use whatever ball they choose to as long as it’s ITTF and USATT approved. There is no secret ball police traveling around the country taking club and tournament directors into a dark room telling them to use Ball A, B, or C. I’m not really sure why it would even matter to you since you have stated previously that you are in favor of playing non competitive matches where winning and losing isn’t relevant anyway.

ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 12:53pm

Summary

I gave up on trying to find rationale behind posts of some prolific forum participants. They exist in every forum and sometimes it's best to just ignore some of the posts and posters - changing someone's mind is next to impossible in my experience.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

[QUOTE=LUCKYLOOP]
Summary

A sanctioned tournament can use whatever ball they choose to as long as it’s ITTF and USATT approved. There is no secret ball police traveling around the country taking club and tournament directors into a dark room telling them to use Ball A, B, or C. I’m not really sure why it would even matter to you since you have stated previously that you are in favor of playing non competitive matches where winning and losing isn’t relevant anyway.

My premises with statements are based on factual data while you are making unsubstantiated statements to support your arguments.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 2:55pm

The United Kingdom has a similar standard of living and english speaking compared to the USA. The UK has about 26,000+ members compared to 8,000 for the USA.

What brands of ball do they use in their league system ?
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 9:03pm
For league matches at the club level what I have been told is that is determined by the local club, I'm not up to date on what's used after that.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 4:52pm

Rural USA

2017 Newgy and Wang Vision Institute Open
Franklin, Tennessee 2 Star event
OCT. 14 - 15, 2017

Ball: Nittaku Premium 40+

2017 Santa Fe Open Santa Fe NM 2 Star event
October 21 & 22, 2017

Ball: Nittaku Premium 40+
gosm92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gosm92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:40pm
i tried joola flash,so far the best ball,round,doesn't brake often,not as hard as other,good bounce
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by gosm92 gosm92 wrote:

i tried joola flash,so far the best ball,round,doesn't brake often,not as hard as other,good bounce

Will be used at the World Veteran Championships June 2018

Present Cost $2.49 each at Megaspin.net

Seamless Ball

Review

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/09/2017 at 12:44am
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:28am
And South Bend tournament in Indiana is using the G40+, so is the Vernon Hills Giant RR.
Knoxville used the Gambler ball in their last tournament I think.
and Aurora IL is using 40 mm white 3-star PLASTIC XuShaofa balls in their tournament.

There are others I saw using the Nittaku also.  

My perspective:  The point being that no one decides what ball each tournament is going to use except for the Tournament Organizers and their sponsors.  If that tournament is able to secure balls at a reasonable cost (or free) from a sponsor, they wind us evening out the cost for acquiring the balls.  In other cases a tournament will use whatever brand is popular locally with their players.  If the majority of players in a certain local choose Nittaku or Butterfly, then that is probably what the tournament is going to use.  They will just make up the cost in the entry fee, or through sponsorship.

If the people running the tournament are pinching pennies, they will use whichever ball they can get the cheapest.  This is probably more true for local events, than for events trying to pull players from a larger area.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:32am
One other note, the cost of the balls used in tournaments pales in comparison to the cost for the venue to hold the tournament, at least if you have to rent somewhere large enough to hold the event.  This is especially true for large events, like Joola's or Butterfly team events, or the Nationals/Open.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:52am
So far Nittaku is the best ball I've tried, so if I were to vote (and I didn't because I'm no national player) I would vote to stay with.  I certainly play the best with them personally.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by 1dennistt 1dennistt wrote:

One other note, the cost of the balls used in tournaments pales in comparison to the cost for the venue to hold the tournament, at least if you have to rent somewhere large enough to hold the event.  This is especially true for large events, like Joola's or Butterfly team events, or the Nationals/Open.

But if a manufacturer is providing additional forms of sponsorship, the least you can do is use their balls.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 10:03am

Originally posted by 1dennistt 1dennistt wrote:

But if a manufacturer is providing additional forms of sponsorship, the least you can do is use their balls.

Yep, I agree.  And just like all the rule changes we have gone thru in this sport, change for change sake is not always a good/wise thing to do.

Even at a $1 per ball difference (which I doubt it is for large sponsored tournaments), the cost is nothing compared to the cost of the venue.  

If lucky's real issue/complaint is that people at his club expect you to use/supply them with expensive balls since that is what they think is "the best", and what will be used in major tournaments.   That is another matter, it has to be addressed locally.  It is akin to peer pressure.  If someone is wearing brand 1 then everyone wants to wear brand 1.  This I can sympathize with, but it is a separate thing than what should be used at the Nationals/Open.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2017 at 7:34pm

FYI the US economy is the largest in the world but the USATT membership is one of the lowest for tt associations for countries half the size of the US or even much smaller. The USA probably has well over 100,000 fairly serious hobby type club players.

The Nittaku Ball is well established in clubs across the USA. The quality of the ball is not disputed only the Price to the consumer or
regular club or recreation center participants.

What is the mission of the USATT ? Is it best served by allowing Nittaku to supply free balls for the US Open & Nationals every year ?
The World championships, Asian championships, don't use the same brand of ball every year.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic