Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone switched to Rozena?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone switched to Rozena?
    Posted: 10/06/2017 at 8:03pm
The rubber seems to be selling well in Japan, but I can't seem to find anyone who is actually using it. The reviews in the databases seem to be quite good, and considering the number of reviews (unless they are planted), it would seem that Rozena is quite competitive though probably $10 more than competitors.

In my club no one is using it yet. Anyone know of anyone who is using it as their primary rubber?

Sponsored Links

Blip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 8:48pm
I've used 2.1 black as my bh rubber for ~3 months. It's not a bad rubber and it does deliver on the promise of a lot of safety. Although it's still in good shape, I've switched back to my prior rubber, Evol El-P 1.9.

Pros: It does everything decent and the softer sponge allows you to utilize it more compared to Tenergy.
Cons: It doesn't excel at much either.

Although El-P isn't that much better, imho the sponge is more engaging and gives a split second more dwell. They're similar rubbers in terms of performance. Low grip and requires more forward stroke.

Give it a shot.
Viscaria
T05 - Forehand
T05fx - Backhand

Please post my feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71402&PN=1#874345
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Blip Blip wrote:

I've used 2.1 black as my bh rubber for ~3 months. It's not a bad rubber and it does deliver on the promise of a lot of safety. Although it's still in good shape, I've switched back to my prior rubber, Evol El-P 1.9.

Pros: It does everything decent and the softer sponge allows you to utilize it more compared to Tenergy.
Cons: It doesn't excel at much either.

Although El-P isn't that much better, imho the sponge is more engaging and gives a split second more dwell. They're similar rubbers in terms of performance. Low grip and requires more forward stroke.

Give it a shot.

Thanks much. Generally I find ESN too bouncy, though I have tried any of the lastest generation. Even Tenergy feels a bit bouncy. Right now I am using old Calibra. I like the feel but it lacks spin. Does EL-P provide equivalent control for you to Rozena? Also, how do they compare with durability? Thanks again!
Blip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 11:05pm
The sponge thickness is a factor when comparing my experience. EL-P at 1.9 gives me more control than Rozena 2.1. I imagine their nearly identical if both were 1.9. Once again they have very similar performance for me.

EL-P and Rozena both lack spin and soon as this sheet wears out I'm giving EL-S a go. They're both awesome at blocking and punching. My Rozena topsheet shows wear and will tear easier but the performance of it hasn't dropped enough for me to drop it after 3 months. EL-P hasn't torn but the last sheet I used lost significant grip, which it already lacks, also after 3 months. I average 7–9 hours a week.
Viscaria
T05 - Forehand
T05fx - Backhand

Please post my feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71402&PN=1#874345
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Blip Blip wrote:

The sponge thickness is a factor when comparing my experience. EL-P at 1.9 gives me more control than Rozena 2.1. I imagine their nearly identical if both were 1.9. Once again they have very similar performance for me.

EL-P and Rozena both lack spin and soon as this sheet wears out I'm giving EL-S a go. They're both awesome at blocking and punching. My Rozena topsheet shows wear and will tear easier but the performance of it hasn't dropped enough for me to drop it after 3 months. EL-P hasn't torn but the last sheet I used lost significant grip, which it already lacks, also after 3 months. I average 7–9 hours a week.

Great information. Really helpful. Thanks!
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 7:01am
I played Rozena 2.1 on the backhand.  When I first got Rozena I felt it played great in training/drills.  Shots felt quite easy to execute and the 'safety' it allegedly provides isn't just marketing.  As far as physical properties go it is noticeably softer than T05 and 80 and also less spinny.  The mechanical grip isn't as bad as some reports claim but the rubber plays badly under humid conditions.  

After playing it in match games I felt it played best on fast and stiff blades.  I tried it on a Viscaria and I think it played very well.  The blade compensated for Rozena's lack of speed and reactiveness perfectly.  I also tried it on Carbonado 145 (my main set up) which as far as I'm concerned has more dwell and isn't that fast relative to other composites.  I like to loop, counter and active block on my backhand and I found it awkward so ended switching back to T80.  I've improved since then so I might give Rozena another shot on this set up.  I'm looking for something a little softer than T80 so it only makes sense but it's hard to say.

I think the sales figures in Japan may not tell the full story as we don't know what demographics it is popular in.  Perhaps it could be high school/university players who want a cheaper Tenergy which would be good news but maybe it just replaced Sriver as the quintessential beginners rubber.  All in all I think it's a decent rubber but not quite the Tenergy replacement I (personally ) was hoping for.  

Edited by iamj8 - 10/07/2017 at 7:04am
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 9:12am
My practice partner switched from t64 to rozena on the fh of a tb zlf. It took a few hours but she is playing great with it now. She makes plenty of spin and it grips fine in very humid conditions (and my garage in a Florida rainstorm is very humid conditions by anyone's standard). She has given up some speed for better placement and it seems to be working.

She didn't like rozena as a backhand rubber to replace t80. I hit a few balls with it and wasn't wowed, but our blades are so different that was kind of meaningless.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

My practice partner switched from t64 to rozena on the fh of a tb zlf. It took a few hours but she is playing great with it now. She makes plenty of spin and it grips fine in very humid conditions (and my garage in a Florida rainstorm is very humid conditions by anyone's standard). She has given up some speed for better placement and it seems to be working.

She didn't like rozena as a backhand rubber to replace t80. I hit a few balls with it and wasn't wowed, but our blades are so different that was kind of meaningless.

Thanks much for the information. I guess those who are using The Rozena are looking for more control than what Tenergy offers but not sacrificing too much in speed and spin which is sort of what I'm looking for.

I play a control game and need a grippy rubber to open up against US and also fast enough to counter when there is an opening, in a manner that Samsonov may play, relaxed and in control. Rozena seems like it might fit into that high end all-around but T80 might also work, only the Tenergies in general seem to be difficult to control. Never tried T80 though.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 1:21pm
One friend of mine uses a DHS PG7 with Rozena and Acuda S1. I tried his blade for a while and I found Acuda S1 better in all aspects. 

Rozena for me is not better even compared to older generation ESN rubbers (Acuda, Hexer, Genius, Rakza 7, Vega Pro...), IMO.

Edited by AMonteiro - 10/07/2017 at 1:27pm
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 7:40pm
What is your playing level? I find Tenergies (bar 05 for blocking sometimes) fairly easy to control, but obviously if you're asking for advice so often you might find a better answer if you told us your level
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

What is your playing level? I find Tenergies (bar 05 for blocking sometimes) fairly easy to control, but obviously if you're asking for advice so often you might find a better answer if you told us your level

Thanks for asking.

I would say that my level of play it's that I can be quite consistent and comfortable with Calibra LT dynamics (speed, low throw, blocking) and it is suitable for the control game that I play except for the enormous effort it takes to create spin, especially when opening against US. I'm just getting too old for it.

For me all ESNs I've tried out, feel very bouncy (I admire Samsonov for the control he achieves), and Tenergy doesn't give me the sensitivity for the ball that I get with Calibra (not sure why), but lifting the ball with T05-FX is a piece of cake compared to the Calibra LT, I just wish I had more feeling. I was testing it on a carbon blade and maybe by changing the blade I could get more feedback.

So if I eliminate ESNs and Chinese, it leaves me with Tenergy or one of the other Japanese Rubbers, e.g. Rozena, Karis, but I still need some assist similar to Calibra otherwise I will have to work too hard for each point. Very hard backhand and forehead drives are my put away points. I think Mantra M would be a natural possibility but there seems to be much less control than Calibra LT.

Hope this helps explain why I was considering Rozena.

Edited by richrf - 10/07/2017 at 10:16pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 11:11am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

One friend of mine uses a DHS PG7 with Rozena and Acuda S1. I tried his blade for a while and I found Acuda S1 better in all aspects. 

Rozena for me is not better even compared to older generation ESN rubbers (Acuda, Hexer, Genius, Rakza 7, Vega Pro...), IMO.

Thanks for your evaluation. Very helpful.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

I played Rozena 2.1 on the backhand.  When I first got Rozena I felt it played great in training/drills.  Shots felt quite easy to execute and the 'safety' it allegedly provides isn't just marketing.  As far as physical properties go it is noticeably softer than T05 and 80 and also less spinny.  The mechanical grip isn't as bad as some reports claim but the rubber plays badly under humid conditions.  

After playing it in match games I felt it played best on fast and stiff blades.  I tried it on a Viscaria and I think it played very well.  The blade compensated for Rozena's lack of speed and reactiveness perfectly.  I also tried it on Carbonado 145 (my main set up) which as far as I'm concerned has more dwell and isn't that fast relative to other composites.  I like to loop, counter and active block on my backhand and I found it awkward so ended switching back to T80.  I've improved since then so I might give Rozena another shot on this set up.  I'm looking for something a little softer than T80 so it only makes sense but it's hard to say.

I think the sales figures in Japan may not tell the full story as we don't know what demographics it is popular in.  Perhaps it could be high school/university players who want a cheaper Tenergy which would be good news but maybe it just replaced Sriver as the quintessential beginners rubber.  All in all I think it's a decent rubber but not quite the Tenergy replacement I (personally ) was hoping for.  

Thanks much for the comparison. It is very helpful. I'm trying to get some tests setup in my club to compare T80 to Rozena. It gets very personal and this point. I may end up just getting a sheet of each and see which I prefer. I hope I like at least one. 😃

Thanks again.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 11:27am
I have gone to Vega Pro. Easily the best rubber in terms of price to performance and it allows you to preserve your Tenergy technique.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I have gone to Vega Pro. Easily the best rubber in terms of price to performance and it allows you to preserve your Tenergy technique.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, ESN and my game don't mix. Not sure why, but they all feel very bouncy to me yourself less feeling. I am hoping to try out T80 or Rozena. I don't like the idea of staying with Calibra LT because of the effort it takes to open up with spin. It's ok when loop driving from mid or long.
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:14pm
I have used Rozena for a good two months. But I have switch back to FX-P since and recently trying Rasanter R42. My biggest complain about Rozena is that the sweet spot is small, and your u have to be square to the ball to get a good shot. Also, the grip is not that strong over the table and such. FX-P is much better. I am not ready to pass my judgement on R42 yet, but initially, the block and drive shots are much easier than Rozena and it has a better sweet spot than Rozena. Granted, if we are on point and timing, sweet size may not matter. But for most of us, we don’t always get to the ball on time and that’s where the other attributes matter more to me.
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:48pm
No worries hopefully you like at least one of them. I preferred T80 on woodier feeling blades like the aforementioned Carbonado and some of the quicker 5 plies. I found it too hard to control on stiff 7 plies and composites. To me they play best on different blades which is weird given how similar they're meant to be but my opinion is just one among many. :)

T80 would be the perfect bh rubber for me if it were just a touch softer and slightly lower throw. Nothing that can't be compensated for with better technique though, haha. Didn't like T64.

Good luck.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 7:07pm
Did you consider trying the Tenergies in 1.9 mms.? I haven't done it but perhaps for some people is better a Tenergy 05 in 1.9 mms.than a Rozena in 2.1 mmms.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Believer Believer wrote:

I have used Rozena for a good two months. But I have switch back to FX-P since and recently trying Rasanter R42. My biggest complain about Rozena is that the sweet spot is small, and your u have to be square to the ball to get a good shot. Also, the grip is not that strong over the table and such. FX-P is much better. I am not ready to pass my judgement on R42 yet, but initially, the block and drive shots are much easier than Rozena and it has a better sweet spot than Rozena. Granted, if we are on point and timing, sweet size may not matter. But for most of us, we don’t always get to the ball on time and that’s where the other attributes matter more to me.

Thanks very much for the information. I would think that the sweet spot would be more a function of the blade. Am I mistaken? I understand that it may not be as forgiving with the angle of impact. Is that what you are referring to?

Thanks for the comparison to R42 and FX-P. Do you have any further comments regarding touch and feeling? In general I have found ESN runners very bouncy and I am unable to create a good level of touch control.

Thanks again!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

No worries hopefully you like at least one of them. I preferred T80 on woodier feeling blades like the aforementioned Carbonado and some of the quicker 5 plies. I found it too hard to control on stiff 7 plies and composites. To me they play best on different blades which is weird given how similar they're meant to be but my opinion is just one among many. :)

T80 would be the perfect bh rubber for me if it were just a touch softer and slightly lower throw. Nothing that can't be compensated for with better technique though, haha. Didn't like T64.

Good luck.

Thanks for the additional information regarding blade harmony. The new Stiga Artic Wood was one of the blades I was considering but TT11 has it weighing in at 95gr which is too heavy for me. I can't confirm it with Stiga since they do not reply. Appreciate the T80 info. It is very helpful.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

Did you consider trying the Tenergies in 1.9 mms.? I haven't done it but perhaps for some people is better a Tenergy 05 in 1.9 mms.than a Rozena in 2.1 mmms.

I did try T05-FX, 1.9. Much better opening against US than the Calibra, but immediately it felt like I was missing some feel, but I am going to try it out again. Thanks for the recommendation.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 11:25pm
Rozena and T80 have the same pip structure so that's why T80 is the closest Tenergy to Rozena. T80 has a harder sponge than Rozena but to me Rozena has a harder top sheet. T05 has more spin than T80 and Rozena and a much higher throw. So if you are switching to Rozena from 05 you will be probably be disappointed. When playing 05 many rely on that arc/spin to get loops to land and you won't get that from Rozena.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 5:32am
Slightly off topic but has anyone tried Nittaku's Fastarc C1?  Can they compare it to Rozena or T80?  Thanks.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 11:01am
Thanks everyone for all of the help. Considering that I am mostly in training mode nowadays I thought I'll try out Rozena for its control, linearity, and durability.

One more quick question. Is Butterfly Online US the best prices? Will they assemble? Thanks!
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 11:38am
I got my 2 sheets of Rozena in the mail last week.  I've only had the chance to play with it once.  I'm switching from T-05 backhand and T-64 forehand. 

I played with my new rubber on Saturday.  My first impressions were pretty good.  I first noticed how soft the rubber feels.  I could feel the extra control.  It definitely is just toned down version of Tenergy in all ways.  But it's still fast and spinny enough for me. 

The rubber felt very weird for short game, for some reason.  I don't know if it's something I need to adjust to or the rubber needs to be broken in a bit more.  I wasn't able to push at all with it, aggressively or passively.  Over the table flicks felt weird..  I'll see how it goes when I play again on Wednesday.   
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 12:00pm
I use rozena in 1,9 mm thickness at both sides. Great rubbers for me. After 9+ years of using tenergies, I didn't find it very hard to change into rozena! They play great, not much spin as tenergies, but a little bit safer shots.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

I got my 2 sheets of Rozena in the mail last week.  I've only had the chance to play with it once.  I'm switching from T-05 backhand and T-64 forehand. 

I played with my new rubber on Saturday.  My first impressions were pretty good.  I first noticed how soft the rubber feels.  I could feel the extra control.  It definitely is just toned down version of Tenergy in all ways.  But it's still fast and spinny enough for me. 

The rubber felt very weird for short game, for some reason.  I don't know if it's something I need to adjust to or the rubber needs to be broken in a bit more.  I wasn't able to push at all with it, aggressively or passively.  Over the table flicks felt weird..  I'll see how it goes when I play again on Wednesday.   

Thanks. Very interesting feedback. I'm wondering whether the blade might be affecting your short game? If course, it may just need breaking in. Can I ask what blade you are using! Thanks!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

I use rozena in 1,9 mm thickness at both sides. Great rubbers for me. After 9+ years of using tenergies, I didn't find it very hard to change into rozena! They play great, not much spin as tenergies, but a little bit safer shots.

Thanks! Can I ask what blade you are using? I'm trying to decide between an all-wood or ALC. Thanks!
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Rozena and T80 have the same pip structure so that's why T80 is the closest Tenergy to Rozena. T80 has a harder sponge than Rozena but to me Rozena has a harder top sheet. T05 has more spin than T80 and Rozena and a much higher throw. So if you are switching to Rozena from 05 you will be probably be disappointed. When playing 05 many rely on that arc/spin to get loops to land and you won't get that from Rozena.
Is there proof or pictures that T80 pips is exactly the same as Rozena? Thanks
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:04pm
Here you go Rozena 1.9 over T80 2.1

Edited by jpenmaster - 10/09/2017 at 8:06pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic