Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone used countertop resin on an outdoor table?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Anyone used countertop resin on an outdoor table?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Partap View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Partap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone used countertop resin on an outdoor table?
    Posted: 10/14/2017 at 7:25pm
I've recently acquired an outdoor table (Killerspin MyT Street Edition) for my backyard that is in great condition.  The only problem is that the bounce leaves a lot to be desired.  Especially towards the middle of each panel...the ball might bounce to about 50% of its initial height.  Makes it pretty bad for practicing serves, etc...

So the table top is basically 2 aluminum surfaces with a thin plastic layer sandwiched in the middle. It's just over 4mm thick overall.  I had the idea that maybe I could use countertop epoxy resin to thicken the table.  I'm talking about the kind of stuff that dries into a hard clear plastic...like if you've ever seen a bar top with playing cards or bottle caps, etc embedded under the surface. I suspect that the material is similar to what is used in the inner layer of the table already.

My idea is that I could pour it onto the bottom of the table (leaving the playing surface alone) in a uniform thickness... or possibly I could do it with several thin, "puddle-like" layers and build up the thickness more in the middle than the edges--the bounce is actually pretty good toward the table edges already.  I've used resin before to cast small objects, but haven't ever used this type (or this much!), so I don't really know what kind of viscosity to expect.  

I've calculated that I would need about 7 gallons of the stuff to completely coat the table bottom about 0.25" thick, which would more than double the table thickness overall.  Or if it is viscous enough, maybe I could even bring the table centers up to around 0.5" and taper down towards the edges

Anyways, I've searched all over the internet to see if anybody has ever tried something like this with no luck...figured I would ask here first if anybody has tried this before.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic