Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - DIY Table Tennis Scoreboard w/ wireless buttons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DIY Table Tennis Scoreboard w/ wireless buttons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
joshpit2003 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshpit2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Table Tennis Scoreboard w/ wireless buttons
    Posted: 10/17/2017 at 7:15pm
I finally finished my Table Tennis Scoreboard:

I thought this would be a good place to show it off.

The display itself can be mounted to a wall, a tripod, or just sit on a tabletop. It can be battery or wall-powered. The 7-segment numbers are pretty bright, and should be suitable for any indoor environment unless it is completely flooded with light.

The buttons are wireless, and can be mounted under the table tennis table (ideally right in the center of each side). They run off a coin cell and the battery should lasts about 5+ years. My set is 2 years old now, and still going strong.

I documented in great detail how to build one:

I also have a lot more photos and info on my website:

Thanks for checkin' it out.
-Josh!
Sponsored Links

BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 8:20pm
Awesome!  Does it automatically swap the scores (and colors) when changing sides after each game?  If so, can this be bypassed in case we decide to stay put?  Also, can it be programmed for best out of 5-games and 7-games?  How about games to 21?

Anyway, great job !!!

Edited by BigFatLoop - 10/17/2017 at 8:21pm
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 8:36pm
Oh sorry, looks like most of my questions are already answered on your web site ... Thumbs Up

Edited by BigFatLoop - 10/17/2017 at 8:36pm
AntSj00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntSj00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 11:42pm
Nicely done! It will be great if the front casing is black / dark. Because display numbers and scores will look contrast and clear.
Whether the pointer arrow will automatically move to the opposite position when serve over?

Edited by AntSj00 - 10/18/2017 at 12:07am
TB ZLC + T05 + O7E

Link Feedbacks To Me : Feedbacks
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 11:51pm

You can get a card Table Tennis portable scoreboard at Walmart for $18.99 including shipping.

Walmart

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/17/2017 at 11:53pm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshpit2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 12:53am
Originally posted by BigFatLoop BigFatLoop wrote:

...can this be bypassed in case we decide to stay put?  ...

This is the only non-option (as currently programmed) of all your other questions. I decided to apply official table tennis rules to the code, such that after each game you switch sides, and at the match-point game (or whatever you call the absolute last possible game) you switch sides at the approximate half-way point throughout the game. These rules exist such that both players get equal play time on either side of the table.

Thanks for diggin' it.

-Josh!
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshpit2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by AntSj00 AntSj00 wrote:

Nicely done! It will be great if the front casing is black / dark. Because display numbers and scores will look contrast and clear.
Whether the pointer arrow will automatically move to the opposite position when serve over?

I actually built one in black, and funny enough, it was actually harder to read. On white, the score was easier to read, and is of better contrast and brightness than in photographs. On account of it being very hard to simulate the same brightness/contrast in a photo (even with a lot of photoshop work).

The reason the white ended up being the better choice is because it is of a more similar color to the textured semi-clear acrylic that makes up each of the segments in the 7-segment displays. The only color choice better than white would have been a slightly off-white grey, which unfortunately isn't a readily available acrylic color-choice for me. So white it was.

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshpit2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 1:01am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

You can get a card Table Tennis portable scoreboard at Walmart for $18.99 including shipping.

I think they sell $90 tables too.
LOL
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by joshpit2003 joshpit2003 wrote:

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

I think they sell $90 tables too.
LOL

Obviously, your product is superior and most every club would want one. I just wanted to present an alternative to a small club with small budget.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic