Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Ovtcharov true carbon vs Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Ovtcharov true carbon vs Viscaria
    Posted: 10/17/2017 at 8:43pm
Hi all,

can someone give me a comparison review between true carbon and viscaria please? I heard these blades r very similar.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 8:59pm
I have owned both and they are very similar. True Carbon felt a tiny bit faster maybe cause the True Carbon has a thinner top Koto veneer so the alc is closer to the ball. You can easily swap between these 2 without much change in your game.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 8:59pm
Pls use the search function - Baal has made comparisons between those blades.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 9:17pm
I've looked at several threads comparing the two and while players say that you can swap between the two, they always seem to go back to the Viscaria (at least when I look at the signatures). Given that I've seen the True Carbon selling for anywhere between at around $90 (less sometimes when on sale), there must be some reason players go back to the Viscaria. Is it only the grip difference or is there more? The speed (frequency tests) being performed on the blades shows a significant difference between the two while all of the Butterfly ALC cousins, do not display this difference.

Is there something that is really different? Maybe feeling? Maybe vibrations? The purchasing actions do not support to difference.

Edited by richrf - 10/17/2017 at 9:18pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 9:31pm
I went back because I decided the ST handle was not good for me. The ST handle was the only reason I tried it in tbe first place. If you don't have a handle preference than which of these blades you use will have no real effect on your level.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I went back because I decided the ST handle was not good for me. The ST handle was the onlyvreason I tried it in tbe first place.

Thanks Baal. I remember you stating your reason on another thread. But there were others who switched back for some unknown reason. I searched really long for OTC users and I don't think I found one. Those who said they were satisfied had Viscaria or some other Butterfly ALC in their signature. This is what gave me pause especially with the large size differential. Viscaria is not even available in the U.S until early Nov. Just wondering if something is missing.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Pls use the search function - Baal has made comparisons between those blades.

THanks guys for ur input! and sorry! I legit didnt know there was a search function LMAO!
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 9:54pm
I am satisfied with my zjk alc.. I sold my OTC after 3 games..
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Saitama Saitama wrote:

I am satisfied with my zjk alc.. I sold my OTC after 3 games..

Thanks. Are there any reasons you prefer the zjk that you can share?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 11:13pm
I'm pretty close to switching to the OTC. I am actually surprised that it is stiffer than the Viscaria and Boll Spirit in tests despite being thinner.  For me, my Boll Spirit is heavier and has a straight handle that I have made a flare with grip tape but I still prefer the OTC when I grip it.  I prefer the thickness of the Boll Spirit and suspect that if I had it in flare, I might like it more.  And the Boll Spirit feels more "solid" but that might be weight.  But when I play with both, my play is similar, the lighter OTC just makes my over the table attacks better and the heavier TBS makes me feel more confident playing away from the table.  But again, both are solid blades.  Also I think there is a Butterfly quality perception thing.  
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I'm pretty close to switching to the OTC. I am actually surprised that it is stiffer than the Viscaria and Boll Spirit in tests despite being thinner.  For me, my Boll Spirit is heavier and has a straight handle that I have made a flare with grip tape but I still prefer the OTC when I grip it.  I prefer the thickness of the Boll Spirit and suspect that if I had it in flare, I might like it more.  And the Boll Spirit feels more "solid" but that might be weight.  But when I play with both, my play is similar, the lighter OTC just makes my over the table attacks better and the heavier TBS makes me feel more confident playing away from the table.  But again, both are solid blades.  Also I think there is a Butterfly quality perception thing.  

some reason are stated by Next Level..
OTC's handle is wider than zjk alc.. a bit faster.. I like the crisp feeling with zjk alc

Edited by Saitama - 10/17/2017 at 11:42pm
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I am considering the OTC simply because it comes in straight handle. Viscaria no longer does, unless bought at ridiculous prices. From inspection, the top ply of the OTC is thinner than viscaria, which results in the blade being faster in theory. Does anyone know the composition of the OTC? The top ply is koto, but what r the others?

Edited by bokai - 10/18/2017 at 12:00am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

I am considering the OTC simply because it comes in straight handle. Viscaria no longer does, unless bought at ridiculous prices. From inspection, the top ply of the OTC is thinner than viscaria, which results in the blade being faster in theory. Does anyone know the composition of the OTC? The top ply is koto, but what r the others?

Here is a complete review on TT11 blog, but I believe there is a mistake in the composition description. Koto should be the top layer not Kiri.

OTC Review
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 8:35am
It is not usually faster. It is the best choice for someone lookinf for a ST Viscaria.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 8:40am
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76419&KW=true+carbon&title=donic-ovtcharov-true-carbon
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 9:00am

It is not usually faster. It is the best choice for someone lookinf for a ST Viscaria.

interesting, do u prefer viscaria or OTC? and why?
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 9:04am

interesting, do u prefer viscaria or OTC? and why?

Earlier Baal explained he returned to the Viscaria because he prefers the FL handle.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 9:23am
oh right! Ahhh cant read today ><. Thanks!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 9:47am
The two I got were much heavier than Patrick's. Closer to 90 g in one case. A 79 g OTC would not be vood IMHO.
slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 9:48am
I have both blades and I can clearly feel the difference between the two. The Viscaria is much more crisp and has more flex while the OTC is very soft and stiff. My OTC feels more like a 7 ply limba blade. Also, I tested both with MX-P and the OTC was not nearly as spinny.

NOTE: My Viscaria is a measly 80 grams and the OTC is 87 grams. The weight is probably a bigger factor in the differences between my two blades.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 10:09am

The two I got were much heavier than Patrick's. Closer to 90 g in one case. A 79 g OTC would not be vood IMHO.

I completely agree with you. I want my blades to be between 88-92 grams. Anything less or more feels strange to me. I use short pips, so I wouldnt want such a heavy bat hahaha. One of the reasons I consider OTC is because of the straight handle aswell. I also wondered how it will go with andro blowfish+ short pips. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 10:24am

I completely agree with you. I want my blades to be between 88-92 grams. Anything less or more feels strange to me. I use short pips, so I wouldnt want such a heavy bat hahaha. One of the reasons I consider OTC is because of the straight handle aswell. I also wondered how it will go with andro blowfish+ short pips. 

The OTC that TT11 weighed for me was 82gr but I think they said they have heavier ones. You can write to them and ask if they have one in the range you are looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic