Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS skyline3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chin_penholder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chin_penholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS skyline3
    Posted: 09/23/2006 at 10:18pm

i havent played with either one of the new skyline rubbers... they came out in may, but has anyone here actually played with it yet? specifically i was looking at the skyline 3. they say that the most distinct difference is the amount of control that skyline offers compared to the hurricane series.

my main questions are, how similar does it play to H3? how long does it last? how durable is the topsheet? and the quality of the topsheet as well as the sponge?

im thinking about trying it, i just want an opinion first. im a huge fan of H3 and i am currently playing with H3 national ver. just looking out for a new rubber.

Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2006 at 11:01pm
ill post a review on it tomorrow, i did a review on globe national and dont have enough time to review the skyline 3
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2006 at 11:31pm
I got one of the skyline spin version.  Just looked like h3 to me.  Same orange sponge.  Maybe a little thinner topsheet but not much.  Coloration was nicer and printing was a little cleaner.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
moose69 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 1:38am

i just put a skyline 3 on my clipper. used the glass gluing method last night and rubber sheet domes dramatically.

ive not had the chance to play with it yet but visually inspecting the rubber sheet, a few things are immediately noticeable.

1. Sponge quality better than H2 and H3 (softer, better with glue)

2. topsheet quality is very good

3. lightweight

that much said, Ma Lin, Wang Hao and WLQ use it. but it comes at a premuim.

easyfiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyfiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 2:11am

Wang Liqin does not use Skyline. He still uses Hurricane 2 with blue sponge. Why would he change? Was he not consistent enough before?

MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 3:02am
Skyline 3 is lightweight??? I might buy a sheet then.
master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 3:15am

Originally posted by MildSeven MildSeven wrote:

Skyline 3 is lightweight??? I might buy a sheet then.

Hmm.....that's weird, because I heard the complete opposite! that is was really heavy...even heavier than H2 and H3!

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 4:13am
SKYLINE IS LIGHTER THAN H2 OR H3! im using a heavy carbon blade --> stiga carbokev wrb. i placed a red skyline 3 max red with a black globe 999 national and its not heavy at all.. the weight of skyline 3 seems liek the same more or less with 729-3 jap sponge
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
moose69 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 4:16am

its pretty lightweight....then again thats relative to the blade u use, ur rubber combi and of course the yardstick you are using to compare between skyline and other rubbers.

in comparison to H2 or H3, its slightly lighter. weight aside there are performance gains!

master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 6:45am

How heavy would a combination be of:

blade:Petr Korbel (84-54 grams)
FH: Skyline 3   2.0/2.2
BH: Sriver FX   2.1

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 6:09pm

Skyline is a fairly light sheet...a little lighter than h3.  The sponge looked a bit airier than the normal dhs #20 too.  I'm sure it glues well.  Different numbering stamp as well.

Interestingly, I just got a new batch of h3 from zeropong yesterday and it also had that same identical sponge.

chin_penholder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chin_penholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 8:30pm
theres someone at the club i go to who would like to try out H3.... would it be a good idea to have him try out skyline?
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 9:48pm
I got a skyline 3 from speedpong the other day. I would say, its a click slower than H3 and pretty much about the same weight. But other than that I prefer the touch of the H3. But again, I'm comparing it with a national H3.
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 9:56pm
lets put it this way. 50/50 people prefer Huricanes and Skyines.
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
ttking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2006 at 10:49am

The skylines are probably marketed to replace the Hurricanes. The Chinese national team is endorsing it. Furthermore, with the skyline, consumers would have less of a hassle with "National" versions or "Commercial" versions!

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2006 at 2:49pm
Oh, there's always gonna be someone around with a stamp to sell the national version.

O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2006 at 3:16pm
DHS is tainted. BLACK MARKETING!
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
ttking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2006 at 9:32pm

cost of rubber - $10

cost of rubber stamp $3

cost of rubber with "stamp" $20

you do the math :)

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2006 at 5:47pm
I've been using Skyline 3 (store bought in China)on my back hand, H3 National on the forehand.

The Skyline is very grippy (you can still pick up balls with it) and light (compared to H3 commercial), and kind of hard top sheet. The sponge is orange and a fairly soft but not very elastic 39 degrees, the sponge quality is about equal to H3 commercial. The topsheet is OK quality and it will endure as long as you take care of it. The top sheet doesn't compare to Sriver or Mark V by any measure in my opinion but it holds its own in grip factor and is not as "dead controllable" since it's a bit harder topsheet compared to Sriver EL or Mark V.

Skyline 3 has proven to be very effective on my backhand rips off the table, compared to Sriver EL. BH rips are much more well controlled and easily powered over the net. Still I prefer the Sriver EL oh BH for it's spin control and soft grippiness. I don't think it could ever replace H3 or H2, they have very different attributes. I could see Skyline 3 as an alternative on the forehand if they stopped making H3 but personally, I'd be looking for a new rubber if they did that.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
ttking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2006 at 9:24pm

I have the Skyline III on one of my RPB blades (FH).

It is visually noticeable that overall aesthetic and build quality has some improvement over H2/H3.

In comparison to H2/H3, the Skyline III loops more effortlessly and provides good amount of spin. It could be me but my take is that the margin of unforced error on the Skylines are much lower than on H2/H3.

Sponge wise, this is a potential speed glue lovers' ruber sheet. The sponge domes dramatically when glued (I'm not even talking abt heavily gluing the sheet) And yeah, sponge is of pretty high quality and is rated ~39.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic