Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a softer carbon blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a softer carbon blade
    Posted: 12/13/2017 at 1:45pm

Hello.

I'm looking for a softer carbon blade than my current blade Adidas Avenger Carbon (OFF) and I hope you could help me. Many of you may never heard or played with this blade, so here's a review by yogi_bear: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49616. The blade compisition is walnut-tanne(aka fir)-carbon-ayous-carbon-tanne(fir)-walnut. I play with T05 on FH and T05 FX on BH, but I will be speaking only from FH perspective as that's what needs a change.

When playing in optimal temperature, the feeling when playing touch shots or opening loops is just OK, but when I'm playing loops, the feeling becomes softer, you could say as an all-wood blade, but it's not very soft as the contact is still quite clear and feels accurate enough. The speed is ideal for me, but a bit faster blade wouldn't be a problem for me.

I have tried my friend's TB ALC with T05s, but the racket was surprisingly too slow for me. If Avenger Carbon is OFF, then I would rate TB ALC as OFF- at most. As you know, the composition of TB ALC is Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto. The feeling on touch shots or opening loops was just great but when I played a more powerful loop, it lacked speed and it felt inaccurate because of the very soft feeling when looping (or powerlooping).

I hope you can give me some recommendations based on these information.

What do you think about TB ZLC (Koto-ZLC-Limba-Ayous-Limba-ZLC-Koto) or JM ZLC (Limba- ZLC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ZLC-Limba)? Could one of these blades be what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 4:33pm
Avalox Ma Wenge C555, great carbon blade with a soft touch, structure is Clipper like just one layer of ayous exchanged with carbon.
Price is great and made in Sweeden quality.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 4:20am
If a TB-ALC with T05 is too slow for you then what you are looking for probably doesn't exist. There are faster blades but they won't feel soft or help your short game. But you are probably correct to consider ZLC or even sZLC. That might suit you but don't expect too much. In fact it's about the only thing I can think of. A ZJK sZLC is worth considering if you have the stomach for the price.
Adam Buzas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Buzas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 6:21am
I have some cheap Butterfly Gionis Carbon ALL + for sale really good carbon blade, and not fast, very controlable, soft, please contact me free

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 6:47am
It also depends a lot on the weight of the blade you tested. Perhaps you had a very light ALC.
I would look for an ALC blade with Limba outer play if you're looking for something softer, something like the Michael Maze ALC or the new Freitas ALC (nearly same blade). Be sure to take one with 90g to get proper speed :)
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 7:28am
Nittaku acoustic carbon is a soft carbon blade with great control. It actually feels like a pure wood blade and is quite fast.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 11:23am
The OP is looking for a blade faster than a TB-ALC with T05. 

That setup would normally be fast enough for nearly anyone, but presumably the OP knows what he wants.  Besides ZLC, maybe some blades in the Garaydia series, or the very fast blades from Xiom like Ignito or Axelo.
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The OP is looking for a blade faster than a TB-ALC with T05. 

That setup would normally be fast enough for nearly anyone, but presumably the OP knows what he wants.  Besides ZLC, maybe some blades in the Garaydia series, or the very fast blades from Xiom like Ignito or Axelo.

I agree with your choices but I would not forget that it might be because his ALC is a lot lighter than what he had before. If the weight is similar, yes, absolutely take ones of the blades you mentioned. Just seems weird that this setup, a setup many pros use, is too slow.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 11:50am
How about freitas ALC?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:44pm
HL5 is answer
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 1:03pm
I am actually very surprised that TB ALC felt slow to you with T05, either your friend had very old or perhaps overboosted t05 or maybe his tenergy was 1.9 sponge or something else like his ALC being super light version under 85grams.
TB ALC is quite fast blade with T05 and to be honest I think it is fairly hard blade not soft as you described. I would definitely try somebody elses Timo Boll ALC, or Viscaria or Spirit (these 3 blades are the best for Tenergy 05 rubbers and looks like that is what u like on your forehand. All these blades play very well in this range of weight 88-94 grams!

I would definitely try someone elses blade ALC type with tenergy.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by taczkid taczkid wrote:

I am actually very surprised that TB ALC felt slow to you with T05, either your friend had very old or perhaps overboosted t05 or maybe his tenergy was 1.9 sponge or something else like his ALC being super light version under 85grams.
TB ALC is quite fast blade with T05 and to be honest I think it is fairly hard blade not soft as you described. I would definitely try somebody elses Timo Boll ALC, or Viscaria or Spirit (these 3 blades are the best for Tenergy 05 rubbers and looks like that is what u like on your forehand. All these blades play very well in this range of weight 88-94 grams!

A good suggestion.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 2:32pm
I am confused by the use of the term "soft carbon". Carbon blades are stiff with lower fex. Wood blades have flex. It seems like a soft carbon blade loses the advantage of a wood blade but also loses our on the advantage of a crisp carbon blade. The only advantage I see of soft carbon is a potentially bigger sweet spot for mis-hits. Is there something else I am missing?

I have a soft carbon blade and try as I might I just do not like it.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by taczkid taczkid wrote:

This.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 4:17pm
I’m with the above suggestion to try more people’s TBS (or similar) + T05 setups as step 1. Lots of things could make the one you tried slower, the more obvious being thinner rubbers.

After that I’d first consider different rubbers if you need more speed.

For monster speed blades, what about Nexy Akrasia? (I haven’t tried it myself, but it has a bit of a speed reputation ;). Bh-man might have more faster than tbs nexy suggestions.)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I am confused by the use of the term "soft carbon". Carbon blades are stiff with lower fex. Wood blades have flex. It seems like a soft carbon blade loses the advantage of a wood blade but also loses our on the advantage of a crisp carbon blade. The only advantage I see of soft carbon is a potentially bigger sweet spot for mis-hits. Is there something else I am missing?

I have a soft carbon blade and try as I might I just do not like it.

Soft usually means no high frewuency vibrations grom outer ply plus a composite. Flex is a low frequency vibration. So a blade can be soft and stiff. Btfly Iolite
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 4:43pm
Palio King Yue is the best soft carbon blade there is. $20 on ali express, free shipping. It's an 80gram 11 ply blade that is, I think, the best blade I own. More than the dhs301, liu shiwen zlf, treiber k..

It's a wonder blade, seriously
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 4:47pm
Joola Rossi Emotion.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by 6Finger 6Finger wrote:

Avalox Ma Wenge C555, great carbon blade with a soft touch, structure is Clipper like just one layer of ayous exchanged with carbon.
Price is great and made in Sweeden quality.

have you tried c555 with the new ball and how is compared to clipper in terms of solidness and speed?
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 4:30am
You could try Zetro Quad or TBS(already mentioned).
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 8:53am
Take a look at the Joola Aruna off. It has Hinoki outer plies which will give you that softer feel.

Edited by jpenmaster - 12/17/2017 at 8:54am
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
SpinnyGonzales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpinnyGonzales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2017 at 5:58am
id suggest a 90 grams freitas ALC or garaydia ALC

Edited by SpinnyGonzales - 12/19/2017 at 5:59am
Heavy backspin on the ball
Doesn't bother me at all
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2017 at 8:16am
Try a long 5 or hurricane hao 3
Garaydia alc I liked but it's also a very low through blade. I would buy another but I've switched to the long 5 for now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic