FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tacky Rubber and Weather Conditions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tacky Rubber and Weather Conditions
    Posted: 01/15/2018 at 9:51pm
I normally play right on the coast so even in winter the humidity is on the higher side.  With my Big Dipper rubber I can lift a Nittaku or Yinhe ball off the table but not hold it upside down.  With the old celluloid balls I could lift and hold at least for a few seconds.

So this weekend I went to another club about 100 miles inland. The combination of a recent cold front and this inland location meant I was playing in some really dry air and cool temps.  I noticed the ball was acting differently as I rolled it on my paddle between points.  I tried the lift test (on a fairly new Nittaku).  Not only did it lift and hold, but it would not fall off even when I moved the racket a little.  I think it held for 30+ sec. and probably would have held longer if I had held it really still.  It held up longer than the old celluloid did at my home club.

Has anyone else experienced a significant increase in tackiness when the air is colder and/or drier?  Could there be some effect from the flooring (inland club had this odd thin traction material) that might put a static charge on the ball and make the rubber seem tackier?  Any other suggestions on what might have been going on?

I was there Sat and Sun and the extra tack was there both days.  My play was below par the first day, but seemed more normal on Sun.  Maybe the extra tack affected me early, but I got used to it.  Of course my play is erratic enough that I can not exclusively place blame on the tackiness change.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 01/15/2018 at 10:29pm
Sponsored Links

Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

^Post of the century

Edited by Chairman Meow - 01/15/2018 at 9:57pm
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 9:57pm
I would think it has a slight advantage. Smile
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 10:23pm
Sorry,

Hit wrong button and initially got blank post. 

Edited it and now have what I meant to post in the original message.

Mark
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 10:31pm
I have definitely felt a difference. Humid weather makes my H3 slip, temperature changes affect it as well. The flooring would affect the bounce of the ball on the table, but I doubt it would change the rubber's qualities (at least not noticeably).
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

I have definitely felt a difference. Humid weather makes my H3 slip, temperature changes affect it as well. The flooring would affect the bounce of the ball on the table, but I doubt it would change the rubber's qualities (at least not noticeably).

The flooring effect I was thinking of was putting a static charge on the ball as it rolled across it.  Like rubbing you feet on carpet and then touching a door knob causes a spark.

Mark
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2018 at 6:00am
I find hurricane 3 neo next to useless in humid conditions. its like a totally different rubber.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2018 at 10:41am
So maybe by playing a tacky rubber along a high humidity coastal city Mark is really playing the equivalent of eurojap rubber in most places!
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2018 at 11:00am
I did not notice the extra tackiness in Las Vegas at the Dec US Open.  I am pretty sure the air was really dry there and it was cold.  Maybe the convention center HVAC system had humidity control so the playing area was not as dry as the outside air.  Then again maybe I just never noticed it and that might explain some of my erratic play there.

Mark
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2018 at 11:24am
I think you just lose the spin and obviously you are not using tacky rubbers for speed anyway, so you end up with neither spin nor speed.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2018 at 4:26pm
That is how it works.
There are some rubbers which are slightly less affected by it though. From my experience, the worst are the DHS rubbers  -  slightest moisture and tack is gone. Rubbers like the 999 and BattleII are a bit more resistant somehow.

I like tacky rubbers and it is often humid where I am so I have two rackets always at the ready in case one dies and cannot be revived momentarily :P
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2021 at 1:13pm
MEASURING INDOOR AIR HUMIDITY IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE.

This scientifical researchings by a group of international scholars is to prove that ambient atmouspherical conditions, when they came to some crucial numbers, may destroy your game entirely.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/349393178_Table_Tennis_Effect_of_Humidity_on_Racket_Rubber_Tribology

Тут пишут ученые люди, что если влажность в зале больше 75% тогда может происходить капельная конденсация влаги на резиновых накладках в процессе игры, потому что резина охлаждаетца когда спортсмен делает маховые движения. Они советуют иметь под рукой ИК-термометр чтобы узнать критическую температуру резины. Я уже заказал.

Edited by igorponger - 05/18/2021 at 1:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic