Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Which rubbers below won't survive re-gluing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which rubbers below won't survive re-gluing?
    Posted: 02/21/2018 at 3:17pm
Are any of these sensitive to re-gluing: Fastarc S-1, Factive, Vega Europe, Vega Asia DF, Rasanter V42?

I would like to re-glue them four times on different blades using Elmer rubber cement.  Any of these I should be particular gentle with? Other glue alternatives?

Sponsored Links

Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 12:20pm
Will any of the above rubbers be affected negatively by Elmer cement?  I have stumbled on the posts that claim that some tensors might be affected.  Should I use Tearmender instead?  I don't want to spend a fortune on fancy glue.
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 12:43pm
Gotta wait in between also rubber cement doesn't just come off but the effect dies within a week or two so beware. Use tearmender to rip off the old existing glue. I have been boosting my mxp like such
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 12:56pm
I use just enough rubber cement to make it stick and I let it dry before sticking the rubber on. I actually do not want any boosting effect.  I am mostly worried that I may end up testing rubbers that are somewhat ruined by Elmer. 

So far I have seen Rakza and Tenergy mentioned as negatively affected by rubber cement.

Edited by Dream1700 - 02/25/2018 at 12:58pm
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 12:57pm
Elmer’s might make regluing even harder since it tends to stretch the rubbers, which worsens the shrinking when you unglue. Tearmender doesn’t do that but I find it much harder to get good results with than eg revolution number 3.

To be honest I don’t understand the point of skimping in glue when working with such expensive pieces of rubber.   When paying this much for rubber, I find compromising their performance and durability to save a few dimes on glue to be the much bigger waste of money.. IMO the best way to save money in this equation is to buy rubbers on sale, and to take all the care we can to get max performance and durability out of them.

About whether rubbers can be reglued well, look for comments about rubber shrinkage in the threads about those rubbers.

Edited by ohwell - 02/25/2018 at 12:59pm
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 3:21pm
Rubber cement on those soft sponges will definitely damage them. Just get Tearmender like Harmonic said.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 7:45pm
By the way guys I don't use rubber cement on new rubbers lol I use nittaku finezip water based glue and only on old dead rubbers I put some elmers on lol. Typically for backup blades or rubbers for example if my mains got damaged or got stolen etc
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

Elmer’s might make regluing even harder since it tends to stretch the rubbers, which worsens the shrinking when you unglue. Tearmender doesn’t do that but I find it much harder to get good results with than eg revolution number 3.

To be honest I don’t understand the point of skimping in glue when working with such expensive pieces of rubber.   When paying this much for rubber, I find compromising their performance and durability to save a few dimes on glue to be the much bigger waste of money.. IMO the best way to save money in this equation is to buy rubbers on sale, and to take all the care we can to get max performance and durability out of them.

About whether rubbers can be reglued well, look for comments about rubber shrinkage in the threads about those rubbers.

This.

Rubber cement is only useful on modern rubber if you plan to leave it on a blade permanently. 

Even then, with modern rubbers wanting to shrink after the VOC from rubber cement, you may see shrinkage on the same blade.

If you have 4 different blades with same or similar headsizes and want to freely swap rubber between them a few times, buy Revolution #3.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

Revolution 3 glue costs $30 per 500ml. That's twice as much a Tear Mender. The videos at Megaspin suggest 3 layers per rubber, 2 layers per blade. 500ml will go fast. I will try Tear Mender first. I am guessing they are pretty much the same thing. 
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2018 at 2:36pm
Like I said, they aren’t the same thing. (I’d also stick to tearmender if I thought the results I got with it were as good as R3.) But feel free to test for yourself, YMMV.

Most people prefer to test TT glues in smaller amounts first. Getting 500ml of Revo 3 or anything else untested is a recipe for frustration.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2018 at 2:52pm
If you need to save money do it however you feel comfortable. I have never been able to make Tearmender work consistently and I buy enough rubbers at a discount that it makes sense not to save on quality glue.   My preferred brand is Donic Varioclean. Rubber cement is also for people who like the feel and who do not might the shrinkage and stretching from the VOCs.

I am making my best attempt to be not too denigrating of people who use rubber cement and cheap glues to work with $30 to $40 rubbers. But again, money means different things to different people.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

If you need to save money do it however you feel comfortable. I have never been able to make Tearmender work consistently and I buy enough rubbers at a discount that it makes sense not to save on quality glue.   My preferred brand is Donic Varioclean. Rubber cement is also for people who like the feel and who do not might the shrinkage and stretching from the VOCs.

I am making my best attempt to be not too denigrating of people who use rubber cement and cheap glues to work with $30 to $40 rubbers. But again, money means different things to different people.

Getting less performance out of expensive rubbers because of bad glue is money too! Arguably much worse bang for the buck than spending < 3 % more (relative to rubber cost) on good glue. Your point holds regardless of what money means.. ;)

Edited by ohwell - 02/26/2018 at 3:27pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2018 at 4:07pm
Here is my experience with Revolution #3.  It comes in different viscosities.  I recommend the thickest one for ease of use or if you use Tenergy or other rubbers with large pores.  Also, it does an unusually bad job of adhering rubbers to even lightly sealed blades.  It does come off the rubber pretty easily, but if you want it to behave like the videos, be prepared to used multiple layers.

I agree that if you spend a lot on rubber, don't go cheap on the glue!
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2018 at 4:36pm
The key to using tearmender is atleast 2 thin layers on rubber and blade, otherwise the bond is too weak.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Here is my experience with Revolution #3.  It comes in different viscosities.  I recommend the thickest one for ease of use or if you use Tenergy or other rubbers with large pores.  Also, it does an unusually bad job of adhering rubbers to even lightly sealed blades.  It does come off the rubber pretty easily, but if you want it to behave like the videos, be prepared to used multiple layers.

I agree that if you spend a lot on rubber, don't go cheap on the glue!

Agreed that certain kinds of thick sealants can cause problems with it, for sure. (IMO the Revo 3 sealant is one of those, ironically.) No problem so far with thinner sealants like Minwax wipe-on poly and BBC’s non hardening sealant.

Having used all 3 viscosities, I see what you mean. The thick is least unlike other glues. I prefer the normal viscosity even with decently large pores because of how well it levels, and how seamlessly the glue layers merge with one another, but YMMV.

The thing that made me think it might be especially suited for the OP is how easily it comes off sponges (at least in normal viscosity). To me that’s a boon when regluing a lot. (Not just because glue builds up, but also because making mistakes when regluing can make removing the glue a must. I’ve ruined rubbers trying to remove glue lumps that held too tightly to the sponge.) Nittaku finezip does pretty well too, on that score.

But there are lots of great TT glues out there if ease of removal from sponge isn’t a big concern.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2018 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

Revolution 3 glue costs $30 per 500ml. That's twice as much a Tear Mender. The videos at Megaspin suggest 3 layers per rubber, 2 layers per blade. 500ml will go fast. I will try Tear Mender first. I am guessing they are pretty much the same thing. 

When WTB glues first launched, I tried everything (BTY, Nittaku, DHS, Donic). Tearmender was better than some and not significantly worse than the best of them, Nittaku Finezip (as long as you got a fresh bottle, that hadn't sat on the shelves for months or even years).

Fast forward a few years, and Revolution is hands down just plain better than any of the other WTB glues I tried.

I no longer use Tearmender, because the cost savings aren't worth the extra hassles during application.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2018 at 1:42pm
Finezip might be quite expensive but it's sponge friendly, thicker and sponge friendly. Besides, booster effect last longer than any glue since.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2018 at 5:11pm
" Besides, booster effect last longer than any glue since." Joyner - care to further explain your reference to booster effect?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2018 at 5:14pm
I have used Rev#3 . normal on a newly boosted H3 still with a slight curl on a varnished blade and it sticks, 2 to 3 coats on the rubber and one on the blade.
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2018 at 1:09am
I have tried Fastarc S1 with Elmer's Rubber Cement on several blades. Reglueing no problems, on the rubber no problem so far. I mix a little lighter fluid on the Elmers.
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Finezip might be quite expensive but it's sponge friendly, thicker and sponge friendly. Besides, booster effect last longer than any glue since.

removing glue buildup in brittle sponges are a problem you just cant rub
any technique to clean the sponge?
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Example of using Tear Mender to pull off old glue:

Edited by Dream1700 - 03/02/2018 at 11:20am
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Example of using Tear Mender to pull off old glue:

T05 sponge is not brittle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic