Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thickness of Stiga Allround Classic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thickness of Stiga Allround Classic
    Posted: 03/05/2018 at 9:02pm
Just curious,

This blade was initially produced in the 60s and if I recall correctly, tabletennisdb stated that the thickness is 5.1 mm only.  That can't be right, because I think it must be at least 5.4 - 5.5 mm (my estimate only, because thinner than that, it will vibrate too much).  My own Allround CR WRB is surprisingly 5.7 mm thick.

What is the thickness of NEW Stiga Allround Classic?   Did they increase the thickness to cope with bigger ball?

Many thanks.

P.S.
The reason I ask is that my friend (not a TT player) wants to buy a beginner blade for his 7 year old son.  I am thinking of giving him either Stiga AC or Donic Appelgren Allplay as a present.  But I am trying to make sure that it is still suitable for modern practice and games.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Sponsored Links

monkey401 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2018 at 2:23pm
I recently played with a stiga allround Classic (bought new last year). It is still applicable for the new ball for beginner and intermediate players. Blade is very good and versatile for learning the game. Highly recommended.

Edited by monkey401 - 03/06/2018 at 2:24pm
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2018 at 3:13pm
I have 3 and they are all 5.1-5.2 , the weights varied 70g,76g,78g,strangely the 70g one is stiffer with cleaner vibrations.There is massive variation in weights maybe the Appelgren is more consistant

Edited by firetack - 03/06/2018 at 3:58pm
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2018 at 4:36pm
I've owned a couple and loved them, but they always develop cracks in the neck about a year in. Maybe it's because I hit hard? I'm currently using an Allround Evolution and I'm liking it a lot, just a hair stiffer with a tad less vibration but still very much an Allround.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2018 at 4:51pm
Thank you for all your information.

I think that 5.1-5.2 mm is too thin for a blade. I think I will choose Appelgren Allplay for his son or probably Allround Evolution, depending on the weight.

Fraziel66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraziel66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2018 at 6:46am
It's an excellent blade for a beginner or advanced beginner. Flexible and fairly soft feeling. Good to learn strokes as the blade won't do the work for you. It does have a slightly hollow popping noise which i don't like but i can live eieth it.You get lots of vibration , as you should get as a beginner. The thing i like best though are the Stiga Handles. By far the best on the market imo. The legend flared is a great size and about the biggest available. The Applegren would certainly be a good alternative but not necessarily better. Another good choice is Butterly Grubba ALL+ although thats more of a power allround. Both the AC and Appelgren are ALL rated. lots of soft feel good beginner blades around.
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2018 at 8:45am
At paddlepalace you can select blades/chart view and see the estimated thickness.
I have called and asked for particular thickness and got a
Stiga Allround WRB 5.3mm.

Paddlepalace does not seal blades though, and my WRB
got a 1mm wide 5mm long splinter when I changed rubbers.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2018 at 11:37pm
Thank you for additional comments above.
Taijibulldog View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taijibulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2018 at 1:49pm
I'll just add that i think it's no need to even deal with the all round blades at all. many moons ago when i was looking to buy my first real paddles i felt the all round blades would be best. Yes, they are good for teaching fundamentals and control which s what a beginner needs. 

Yet, with all that said i would bypass allround blades in favor of off- minus blades. 
Why because any respectable off- will give all the control a novice will ever need while at the same time making it an easier transition to more advanced play. by choosing rubber wisely to include thickness of 1.0/1.5 that is the best route for the money and effort which makes it so you won't need to buy another blade as his/anyone's skills improve. 

i have spent a great deal of time and effort figuring out basic things like bat and rubber choices to suit the player. but growth of that player is what many ignore and their recommendations routinely are ltd. to where the player is and ignore where they could be in a relatively short time with proper training/coaching. 

both ways work, but the standard way cost more money, doesn't offer any serious advantages and makes it so transitions of skill and equipment are more complicated. peace

butterfly primoric my old blade is my top choice for weight, control, durabilty/quality. yes, i still have my original one. unfortunately they are almost 75$ now. smdh I'd look for blades like that after mkt. that aren't being sold to make big profits on the sold called vintage mkt. 

there are quite a few choices in the off - area that are less costly for sure and i'd seek them out and not rush to buy until u have done your homework. me personally though. i will spend more on quality that i only have to buy once rather than less and have to buy twice and not be satisfied with the short term results or long term goals. ijs
WE NEED EACH OTHER, MIGHT AS WELL SHARE IJS !!!!!
monkey401 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2018 at 11:04pm
Doraemon, if you’re interested I have a like new stiga allround evolution (flared legend) 84g. Played with it less than 50 min. $33 shipped within USA. Pm me if interested.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2018 at 7:52am
Thank you for the offer Monkey401. I already have Allround Evolution AN 87 grams. So l chose Allplay instead to be combined with Mark V. It seems all right for now.

Edited by doraemon - 03/18/2018 at 7:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic