Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pictures of your single ply Hinoki blades! [2018]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Pictures of your single ply Hinoki blades! [2018]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2018 at 10:09am
Thanks.
Sponsored Links

hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 9:58pm
Got this Nittaku  Miyabi one ply hinoki ahakehank blade a few days ago. Measuring 155x150x9mm and weighing at 90.72G. I like the overall look of the blade and the 91g don't really bother me. The only thing that bugs me is the 15mm of wider grains to the right side of the logo but probably doesn't affect play since I won't hit the ball at that area anyway. Didn't want to set it up until I get a few experts opinions from you guys. What do you guys think? Does that bother you? Should I keep it or return it for another? Or is this the best it'll come for a $90 blade? (I darken the photos to bring out the wood grain.) Thanks for your input.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 11:36pm
Looks good for a $90 blade.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 9:15pm
DLC1325, did you seal the blade before putting on the rubber?
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 11:21pm
Loved my Miyabi FL.  Love my Miyabi R.  I did not seal either of them.  Never had a problem changing rubbers.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 10:54am
As for your Miyabi FL: How's the grain(photo?)? What's the weight? What rubbers? Speed? Feel? Control? Vibration?
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 12:45pm
I can't find any photos of the FL, but the grain was basically the same as yours and my R with variations in grain widths, even had the small rough, scratchy spots on the right edge of your blade.  If I recall it was 82g and I used TG2 Neo on both sides.  Unconventional, I know, but the catapult of the hinoki made the Chinese rubbers extremely easy to use.

As with single ply hinoki blades, the control is immense but when you put power in there is a catapult effect that adds tons of speed.  Its a very strange feeling for me though because it is so soft yet can be so fast and controlled at the same time.  This is why so many people say there is nothing like a single ply hinoki blade.

I, and everyone at the club who tried my Miyabi FL, called it The Cloud because it felt like playing with a cloud in your hand.  Magnificent.

It is a fine blade for $90 and I think the one you have looks fine, though yours might be a bit faster due to weight.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 2:02pm
Thanks for the feedback. Well said! Can't wait to try my blade later on this week. I just lightly sanded the shoulders and rubbed it with a thin coat of oil varnish. I'll post photos when I am done 3 coats of varnish.  
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

I can't find any photos of the FL, but the grain was basically the same as yours and my R with variations in grain widths, even had the small rough, scratchy spots on the right edge of your blade.  If I recall it was 82g and I used TG2 Neo on both sides.  Unconventional, I know, but the catapult of the hinoki made the Chinese rubbers extremely easy to use.

As with single ply hinoki blades, the control is immense but when you put power in there is a catapult effect that adds tons of speed.  Its a very strange feeling for me though because it is so soft yet can be so fast and controlled at the same time.  This is why so many people say there is nothing like a single ply hinoki blade.

I, and everyone at the club who tried my Miyabi FL, called it The Cloud because it felt like playing with a cloud in your hand.  Magnificent.

It is a fine blade for $90 and I think the one you have looks fine, though yours might be a bit faster due to weight.
=================
Miyabi FL, the $90 blade, was sold out at "Paddle Palace".
They wouldn't let me to pre-order and pay in advance, then wait.

This is the wording of Paddle Palace's reply of my email:
We have made a note in our system to let you know when the Miyabi blades are back in stock. We do not have an ETA on those, so it may be a few months.

hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 8:54pm
Ben might have another one in stock. http://www.tabletennisstore.us/p-1195-nittaku-miyabi.aspx
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Ben might have another one in stock. http://www.tabletennisstore.us/p-1195-nittaku-miyabi.aspx
=================
I have never ordered anything from that outfit (unsure if it is safe to order from them):

Has anyone ordered TT stuff from that outfit?
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2018 at 12:30pm
I've been buying from him for a few years now. Never had a problem. Besides, I know he has the Miyabi in stock.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2018 at 1:08pm

I've been buying from him for a few years now. Never had a problem. Besides, I know he has the Miyabi in stock.
======================
Order placed.
Thank you very much.

hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 1:10pm
The same blade with 3 thin coats of oil/alcohol varnish. 
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 12:11am
Looks very nice. Beer
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2018 at 2:18pm
Finally my Ariex Special DX arrived.
I bought with a discount because it had some minor imperfections on backside (just small scratches). The handle is also different than regular Ariex blades, similar to some butterfly jpens. It is also a bit shorter than normal. 

I have no idea when I will be able to play with this blade, but here are the pics:

hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2018 at 4:54pm
Good looking blade. But I like your Kokutaku Bishu no.1 more. Hope it plays well. How much did you paid for this blade?
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2018 at 5:32pm

Good looking blade. But I like your Kokutaku Bishu no.1 more. Hope it plays well. How much did you paid for this blade?

Blade was 60 usd + 27 usd shipping if my memory is right. Shipping price was very high. 
Normal blade price is 120 usd + shipping.

Special DX is the second best hinoki blade from Ariex, with Excellent GT being on top (if we exclude custom order and 11mm blade). From the blades with imperfections that were being sold, this was the best looking one (they had pictures of all of them).

Bishu no.1 has tighter grains, but Special DX is a bit more uniform.
Since Bishu head shape and "edge shape" are rounded, the grains look more beautiful on side view and more circular. I also asked the seller to pick the best looking Bishu that was below 95g.

Edited by shinshiro - 05/26/2018 at 5:36pm
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 8:06pm
My Miyabi weigh in a little on the heavy side at 91g. This is an almost perfect setup with FH T64 1.7 and BH Donic Slice 40 1.5. Total weight is amazingly low at 172g. BH flick/loop is a bit hard due to thin rubber, need to adjust blade angle. Same goes for blocking and pushing. However BH chop is great, very precise and ball control is excellent. Wish the D Slice 40 was a little bit thicker. FH loop needs a little getting use to and adjust blade angle but once get used to the new angle looping is a breeze. Hitting is what this blade is made for, both near table and mid-range. Love it...crisp, accurate, fast. The feel and explosive sound of the ball hitting on the blade is un-equal, even better than my friend's Speed 90. Perhaps FH blocking is the weak point of this blade, I do need to explore this area more. All in all, it's a pleasure playing with this combo.  

Edited by hleett - 06/07/2018 at 8:21pm
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 1:37am
No Kiso hinoki, but a very nice WRC 1-ply from Charlie. Smile

and the best: the first playing-impressions were also really good. Big smile
manallackst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manallackst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 6:22am
Hi guys. This is the only 1ply hinoki that I have. Although, I never knew the name of this Butterfly model. Tried to ask around but none knew.

hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 12:25pm
Nice!Are you selling it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manallackst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 7:01pm
Huhu, not at the moment. Trying to figure out her name
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 7:05pm
Chiu wai Yee.
Done ?
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 8:05pm
Just send the photo to Butterfly website and ask them to ID it for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manallackst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:41pm
Oh, didnt know we can do that. Thanks!
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 12:15pm
10.5 mm, 106 g. The handle was made with one side thicker than the other as an experiment.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2018 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

No Kiso hinoki, but a very nice WRC 1-ply from Charlie. Smile

and the best: the first playing-impressions were also really good. Big smile

I've been eyeing this blade myself - could you share your thoughts on it?

Also, what thickness did you get?

Edited by rawrtje - 07/01/2018 at 12:22am
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2018 at 1:24am
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

I've been eyeing this blade myself - could you share your thoughts on it?
Also, what thickness did you get?
The thickness was 9,5 mm and the blade was faster than I thought. 

Besides this BBC 1-ply I also ordered a WRC 1-ply from Kevin (American Hinoki)

This blade is thinner (9 mm) and has a better control (for me).
But it seems as if Hinoki or WRC 1-ply blades are not the right blades for me.

I love the natural design of these blades, but the difference to my "usual" blades is too big.
It was a nice "project" between two seasons, but I will not switch to 1-ply blades.

I am planning to test the AH 1-ply once more, but I am sure that this will not change my mind.
I will re-sell this blade also, because the feeling is too soft, not crispy enough for me.  

Edited by Magic_M - 07/01/2018 at 1:25am
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2018 at 11:47pm
This blade was Charlie's demo blade he made many years ago. He sold it to me about 4 years ago when he lost his shop and I needed a one ply. I am donating this along with some other blades to Yogi. It is almost 10mm thick with beautiful Red Cedar.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic