Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racket - feeling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
darkmoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racket - feeling
    Posted: 05/08/2018 at 11:33pm
Hello there,

I have been struggling with the way I hold my racket. The reason - a problem finding a grip where I can get a ball feeling. And when I find it, I can easily lose it if I put the racket somewhere and pick it up again later. Moreover, there are times when I cannot find a good grip whatsoever. At such times, I simply do not know where the ball goes after my stroke.

I tried many different things, holding the racket more up, or down, have a tighter, or more loose grip, etc.

I hope someone can help.
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 2:46am
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think as long as you're using a standard grip, you should be fine. Are you able to take a photo of your grip from the front and back?

It sounds like you're lacking ball control, and your grip can definitely play a role there, but it might not be the underlying problem.

How often do you play? How long have you been playing?
darkmoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 9:07pm
Hi, thank you for your reply.

It is a rather common shakehand grip that favors backhand a lot. I begin playing by holding it loosely, and in this way I usually find some good feeling, but as I play, somehow the feeling goes away. Then, in frustration, I try to hold the racket differently, as my head keeps thinking about how I hold it.

I have resumed playing a few years ago, after about 15 years of staying away from it. However, I had several month, 2-4 month breaks, during that period. Currently, I play at least 3-times a week for 3 hours/day

As a kid, I remember changing the grip a lot depending on type of stroke, and I hand a great ball feeling. I was a classic defender/hitter, mostly finishing the rallies by a quick backhand flick after my opponent gave out an opportunity. 

Nowadays, I am playing close to table, using fast and placed backhand strokes, and spinny forehand loops. 

Usually I lose my forehand feeling first, then, any stroke in the short game, service return, becomes unpredictable. 
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:20pm
It's very possible that you're just tensing up too much as you play. Although it does seem like you're generally unhappy with your grip. The grip does change depending on the stroke. But of course, they should only be minor unconscious adjustments. If you're actively thinking about your grip or even stroke mid rally, you're bound to miss.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I still don't think the grip is likely the issue. If at first you're feeling fine, could it be because while you're warming up, the balls are generally more predictable. And if later on you're doing more match play or match drills, the unpredictability of the ball is causing you to tense up and miss.
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2018 at 2:37am
put the paddle fh down on the table then re-grab it. i been doing it recently
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic