Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FH BH Footwork

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:47am

mickd, your footwork looks very good to a beginner/intermediate like me.
One thing I'm trying to do, and I don't see you doing, is watching the
ball until contact on FH. At the ball speed in the video, you have time,
and such ball-watching did cut down on my FH misses.
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 10:29pm
@zeio Thank you. I'll continue to work on it. The good news is that when I hit the ball like that, I feel a lot more weight transfer. What I mean by this is that I feel like my weight is shifting between my legs from left to right, finishing more solidly on my right foot. How I used to hit the ball, I felt very little weight on my right foot after I finished hitting the ball. I think because of the leaning, I ended up hitting the ball while still leaning my weight on my left foot. This probably ties well with the article @leyasu linked by Larry.

By the way, thank you for the article, leyasu. It was a very nice read.

I 100% agree with what Larry says in his article. I think if done properly and if time permits, the left to right transfer is very important for the added power. But here's the catch... only if it's done correctly!! I think because I was playing close to the table, I didn't have the time to do the left to right transfer, so in the end I was just leaning on my left foot, doing the stroke while my weight was still on my left leg, then bringing my weight back to the middle. There was no feeling of weight on my right leg at all.

I'd definitely recommend less left to right movement for beginners/intermediate players based on what I've experienced so far, especially close to the table. The quality of the ball felt drastically higher.

Also, because we aren't perfect, I think it's perfectly okay for people to lean in a match situation when you're caught off guard or out of position. But for practice, especially for drills, we should always aim to execute every shot with the correct stroke and balanced :)

@pitigoi Thank you! I actually have a question about watching the ball, but I think that'll warrant it's own thread! I think it's hard to tell from the angle, but off memory I was watching the ball (at least for the backhand haha). I used to not watch the ball until contact on the forehand about a year or two ago. I think I've mostly improved in that aspect, but maybe I was slacking off a little in the OP video. I think the second and third FH videos I posted makes it a little easier to see when I'm watching the ball since my head turns slightly at the last second.

Cheers, everyone!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic