FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tips for those boosting MX-P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for those boosting MX-P
    Posted: 08/19/2022 at 5:24am
Does the MXP soften over time just from playing (not related to booster but relevant to whether it is worth it.)

My own feelings are probably wrong but I feel I have been getting more click into the blade then when I first got it... but it could be just getting to know the rubber better.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

I prefer slightly softer feeling (44-45 deg) so I prefer lightly boosted MXP over something like ELS
I like MXP when the booster effect wears out anyway but it does play differently over the first 2 sessions or so

Just curious: why did you move back to MX-P on BH after Aurus Prime?

Hi,

Overall less spin with Aurus Prime, and the new ultramax sponge made it very mushy when boosting even with one layer. Prefer the harder topsheet of MXP, it performs overall better as drinkhall says.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Let the record show I am complaining about the use of boosters.  It is illegal. And selling boosters is encouraging cheating. I complain about it all the time. However, I'm immediately shouted down by all the boosters. Boosting is cheating. The rules are explicit. Deliberately break the rules = cheating. Tongue

Those are ITTF rules. What if I don't play any ittf events?
What if all modern rubbers are factory boosted anyway?
What if I don't want to buy new boosted rubber every month?
What if players in my league use 30 year old antispin rubbers?

And btw, if you ever used any kind of cleaner on your topsheet, you are a cheater, too, by your definition.
People don't even get how dumb they sound when they try to make this a moral issue, when it clearly isn't. These wishy-washy rules and their non-enforcement are just the result of ittf maximizing their profit.

Complaining about boosters is just whining at this point. That or utter ignorance towards the silly double standards set by the Ittf.

It is worst than that - the boosting rule is set up to enrich the TT manufacturers - down with the ITTF
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

I prefer slightly softer feeling (44-45 deg) so I prefer lightly boosted MXP over something like ELS
I like MXP when the booster effect wears out anyway but it does play differently over the first 2 sessions or so

Just curious: why did you move back to MX-P on BH after Aurus Prime?
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by EmRatThich EmRatThich wrote:

I don't understand why you want to boost MX-P.

It's already not hard enough. And not durable enough. After 2 weeks, the sponge has started to drop out.

If you boost MX-P, I can't imagine that you can play consistently in 1 week?

Hi EmRat,

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 8:43am

MX-P not hard enough to boost? it is 47 degree and already factory boosted.
Ma long is known to use 37 degree H3 on his BH, which translates to 47 deg on ESN scale.

So you are telling me Ma Long does not boost his backhand because it is not hard enough?LOL
For most amateurs, MX-P is actually too hard, especially on BH. I'm thinking of going back to 45 deg sponge there, since it will be more consistent. 

Secondly, sure, the sponge of MX-P is not durable. Guess what, it's because the perfomance drops as factory booster evaporates. That's exactly the reason why you would reboost it to restore its original performance and get more playing hours out of it.

I boost because I prefer slightly softer sponge on both sides, so I'll prefer it after the booster effect wears out as well! mxp is a bit hard on both wings for my style of play
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 8:23am

Ma long is known to use 37 degree H3 on his BH, which translates to 47 deg on ESN scale.

So you are telling me Ma Long does not boost his backhand because it is not hard enough?LOL
For most amateurs, MX-P is actually too hard, especially on BH. I'm thinking of going back to 45 deg sponge there, since it will be more consistent. 

Secondly, sure, the sponge of MX-P is not durable. Guess what, it's because the perfomance drops as factory booster evaporates. That's exactly the reason why you would reboost it to restore its original performance and get more playing hours out of it.

EACH oil application will encrease the rubber weight by 8 grammes. This will change racket balance greatly.

I did never boosted for this very reason.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 8:03am

mhcvx90av View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhcvx90av Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 7:30am
You're right, but I just boosted it for the voice and the feeling. With Haifu booster 3 or 4 months goes boost effect. So this was my first boost try
Viscaria
T05FX
Saturn Pro S
EmRatThich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EmRatThich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 6:46am
I don't understand why you want to boost MX-P.

It's already not hard enough. And not durable enough. After 2 weeks, the sponge has started to drop out.

If you boost MX-P, I can't imagine that you can play consistently in 1 week?
mhcvx90av View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhcvx90av Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 8:01am

I also boosted the Viscaria with MXP rubber haıfu. It's really great, especially the sound is very impressive. And no problem at the rubber because the rubber does not change its structure. I would recommend it to everyone

Edited by mhcvx90av - 06/08/2018 at 6:34am
Viscaria
T05FX
Saturn Pro S
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 7:41am

After giving it a second thought it makes sense, how could I be so blind?

Hi fatt,

It is technically against the rules and I agree with you on that point. It's just a combination of saving economically, factories doing the same thing and the fact that I don't play ITTF sanctioned events that make it so attractive for me :)
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2018 at 11:00pm
I would argue that there is a strong double standard between: factories boosting rubbers and us not being able to enhance performance using the same technique.

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2018 at 9:53pm

Let the record show I am complaining about the use of boosters.  It is illegal. And selling boosters is encouraging cheating. I complain about it all the time. However, I'm immediately shouted down by all the boosters. Boosting is cheating. The rules are explicit. Deliberately break the rules = cheating. Tongue

Those are ITTF rules. What if I don't play any ittf events?
What if all modern rubbers are factory boosted anyway?
What if I don't want to buy new boosted rubber every month?
What if players in my league use 30 year old antispin rubbers?

And btw, if you ever used any kind of cleaner on your topsheet, you are a cheater, too, by your definition.
People don't even get how dumb they sound when they try to make this a moral issue, when it clearly isn't. These wishy-washy rules and their non-enforcement are just the result of ittf maximizing their profit.

Complaining about boosters is just whining at this point. That or utter ignorance towards the silly double standards set by the Ittf.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2018 at 4:04pm

You mean to complain about boosting MX-P? Smile
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2018 at 1:46pm
I reboost every 6 weeks with 2 thin layers of seamoon. any more would be quite mushy indeed.
without boost, I also feel it is too hard on BH. I play YEO, its hard outer ply helps with sponge engagement.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2018 at 9:10pm
I would recommend boosting either out of the pack or 2 weeks to 1 month into use, but most importantly use only 1 medium layer (imo this is optimal). I dislike playing with MX-P out of the package as it is too hard, but any more than 1 medium layer and the setup turns really mushy, tried on Viscaria and HL5/FB2! 

One layer of booster like TRF makes the setup a lot more natural feeling, anyone else have experiences with boosting MXP, and what blades?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic